HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
Build Log
A10 twin 50mm

I started my A10 build this afternoon. I was going to go twin 70's, but I had to try the HK 50mm aluminium fans so I scaled my plans down and am trying to build as light as possible. The 4800kv 3s units state over 15 oz thrust. From what I have heard and seen on here, that is a pretty accurate number. Here is the plan so far.

HK 50mm aluminium EDF with 4800kv x2
Red Brick 30 amp ESC's with 2amp BEC x2
Detrum 9 gram servos x4
Orange Rx
3s 2200, 20c

Build material FFF
WS 32"
Fuse 28.5"
Ailerons, elevator,rudders

The fans and esc's have been shipped so I started on the airframe, here is what I have so far.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:52 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
wowee that was fast!, just a cautionary note on the Elmers spray adhesive...I havent used it on blue foam so cant say if it holds strong on it, but I have had it delaminate on both depron and $tree foam....I personally recommend either 3M-77 or LokTite 200, Elmers really isnt very heavy duty...but your wing is lamed up and held good during the sanding process and if there are no delamination signs in the next few days then you're probably ok...keep an eye pealed.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
I have used it on blue foam many times both the Dow insulation board and the FFF. It seems to hold up well and has no negative effects on the foam. I recently looked at spray glues. I only seen the 3m super 77, can that be used on foam?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hmmmm, I "think" I remember 3M Super 77 being like silly string when sprayed, and if its that kind you dont want to use it, if You have a Lowes in your area they carry LokTite 200 and 3M-77, I think Freddys carries 3M-77 in the paint/automotive section, not trying to knock down Elmers, like I said I havent used it on blue foam before, and for all I know it may be perfect for it, but my experiences with it on other foams was that it tended to let go after time, I do use Elmers though for temporarily sticking templates to foam for cutting because it peals back off easy.

sorry man I sure dont wanna be the stick in the mud

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:38 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking good there Greg! I use the 3m77 and it works fine, light spray on both parts, let tack off, then put together works like contact cement, sprays in a fine pattern also.. Your Elmer's spray may be just fine, I've seen guys use it on here before, haven't heard any bad things about it.. Good luck, keep the pics coming w. F4 finished pics are up now...
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Nice Greg.... you definitely didn't waste any time starting this one.

I'm back home now so I will keep updating mine. I flew it this AM and had a blast.

Different subject - Yesterday while at the LAX airport I got to watch the 747/space shuttle flyovers and then the landing. Very cool...
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
Joe, your not being a "stick in the mud" I appreciate the advice and concern, I havent had it happen but I have not built nearly as many planes as you guys and having it delam would I will track some down, Lowes must have been out of stock, all they had was the "super" when I was there. I believe in using the right tool for the job.

Walt, The F4's looking nice! I really love the phantom, always have. I recently downloaded Joes plans, its on the never ending list

Brent, That would have been awesome to see in person. I seen it on TV along with all the "drama" about cutting down the trees to move it. I find it funny because living up here in Wa. there are more trees around my house then they are cutting down to move the shuttle. Maybe they should just bring it up here to seattle I bet we could cut down a few trees without missing them

Thanks for the comments guys, I am going to try and work on the fuse today. Not sure how long it will take to recieve my HK order. Last time I ordered it only took about a week and a half. I was surprised.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:07 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, I get the 3M77 at home cheapo... If you didnt order batteries from HK,, you get it quicker.. W
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
Cool, I will check at HD. No batts from HK so maybe I will see my stuff this comming week
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
Well Ive been building all afternoon, just took a break for dinner. I plan on a late one tonight while I have the chance. I will get pics posted a little later. I am thinking about not doing rudders. I dont know if its worth the extra weight with the servo and linkages involved? Anybody have any thoughts on it?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
My .02 for what its worth - is how much control you want. I find for the smaller models I never use the rudder control.

I only feel I start fidgeting with them is during landing in some cross winds. So for me I rarely mess with the hassle.

You can always add them later?

Looking good Greg.... Love to see your stuff out there.
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
677 Posts
Thanks, I think I will go without the rudders...at least for now. I finished the rough sanding on the fuse and have the stabs cut out and glued. I will shape them tomorrow. Right now I am trying to figure out the wing placement. I want to set it at 0 degrees along with the horizontal stab but with the slight up sweep on the bottom of the fuse I am trying to be very careful before I do any cutting. I would like to place the wing so that I can have the bottom of the fuse continue smoothly over the underside of the wing. I will sleep on it Here are some pics
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking good Greg! W
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts