HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Flyzone Transmitter Ready Nieuport 17 Review

Flyzone continues their World War I series with a plane flown by the French and the British: the Nieuport 17. My Nieuport 17 came Tx-R with the AnyLink 2.4GHz radio adapter.

Splash

5184783!Introduction

Wingspan:15.3 inches
Weight:1.16 oz.
Length:12.5 inches
Transmitter:AnyLink 2.4GHz radio adapter and a compatible transmitter
Receiver:2.4 GHz, AnyLink compatible
Flight Battery:3.7V 140mAh LiPo battery
Battery Charger:DC LiPo battery charger
Batteries for Charger:5 AA batteries included
Manufacturer:Flyzone
Available From:Fine Hobby Stores Everywhere
Price:$79.99

I enjoy flying biplanes and I have flown and own the first two Flyzone World War I models. I have found both the Albatros and the Fokker Dr-1 to be good flyers that I have flown outside in calm conditions and inside in my club's winter gatherings at the county fairgrounds. So I was very interesting in reviewing the new Nieuport 17 and adding an allied fighter to my collection of planes. For this review I have flown the plane multiple times and I have let several friends fly her as well. In the final video below you will see at least one of the grass tumble landings made with the Nieuport 17 and she remains undamaged thus far. In fact of my three Flyzone WWI fighters only the Fokker Dr-1 has had any damage and that just required gluing the landing gear under carriage back on one side of the fuselage.

Kit Contents

Kit Contents Tx-R Nieuport 17

• Fully assembled and transmitter ready Nieuport 17
  • Battery charger for the flight battery
  • 5 AA batteries for the battery charger
  • 1 3.7V 1-cell 140mAh flight battery
  • Instruction Manual

I supplied

• Transmitters
  • Enamel paint
  • Paint brush
  • Foam Safe CA

The Nieuport 17 in History

The Nieuport Aeroplane company made a number of fighter planes that were flown by the French and British in World War I. The various models were identified by number. The Nieuport 11 was also know as the Bebe and had a machine gun mounted on the top wing to clear the propeller. It was one of the planes that helped end the Fokker Scourge early in 1916. When they gave it a larger motor they changed the designation to Nieuport 16 but it had balance problems with its Center of Gravity and they went back to the drawing boards and came up with some modifications and named it the Nieuport 17. In addition to its more powerful engine it had larger wings and an improved fuselage. It had a single machine gun initially on the top of the wing but on most planes that was replaced with a single Vicker's machine gun on the fuselage in front of the pilot with a synchronized gun. A second machine was tried but was found to make the plane too heavy.

When first introduced into combat in March 1916 the Nieuport 17 was considered to have outstanding maneuverability and an excellent rate of climb. It was first equipped with a 94 horsepower engine and later a 110 horsepower engine. By the end of 1917 its days as a front line fighter were over for the French but the British flew it longer. It was a sesquiplane as it had a full top wing with two wing spars and a narrow chord bottom wing with only one spar. In combat it was learned that the Nieuport 17 had a disconcerting tendency to disintegrate in a sustained high speed dive. In was followed by the Nieuport 24 but most pilots switched to the Spad S VII as an improved replacement plane. But in the summer and fall of 1916 it was a leading allied fighter.

Assembly

The Nieuport 17 came fully assembled. There was no assembly that I had to do to fly the plane. I only had to install the five supplied AA batteries into the battery charger and charge the included 3.7 Volt single Cell 140 mAh battery. However they did supply a pilot made out of white foam and I did paint him with my enamel paints while he was stuck on a toothpick. When the paint was dry I glued him into the cockpit using foam safe CA. So far I have not added a scarf but I may in the future as both of my German pilots have scarfs.

Tx-R: Pick Your Transmitter Wisely

The Nieuport 17 is a three channel plane with throttle, elevator and rudder control. Depending on what transmitter you decide to use the rudder control may be on the left stick, the right stick or you might get to choose which stick or both for the rudder. Using the AnyLink 2.4GHz radio adapter I can choose from a variety of my transmitters. My old simple four channel transmitters will have the elevator on the right stick and the throttle and rudder on the left stick. With my modern programmable transmitters they have ailerons on the right stick and rudder on the left stick. By programming a rudder/aileron mix at 100% I have rudder control on both the right and the left stick for the Nieuport 17. It is very easy to do just decide which stick you want to use to control the rudder. I and most of my friends are most comfortable with rudder and elevator on the right stick as we fly two channel gliders that way. However, I do like to use the left stick to add rudder to my power planes which I turn primarily with ailerons so I enjoy flying the Nieuport 17 either way but my sharpest control is with rudder and elevator on the right stick.

Flyzone Transmitters Tested

I was supplied with Tx-R (transmitter ready) version of the Nieuport 17 for use with the AnyLink radio adapter and I will discuss that in more detail below. However, I have three transmitters from Flyzone planes already in my possession that I decided to try with the Nieuport.

The Flyzone Dr. 1 came with the Tactic TTX402 transmitter which is the same one that comes with the RTF version of the Nieuport 17. Not surprisingly it binds and controls the Nieuport with both the rudder and elevator on the right stick and throttle on the left. If I want to move the rudder to the left stick I just hold the sticks in the upper outer corners as I turn on the transmitter and the left stick controls the rudder. Turn the transmitter off and next time I turn it on the rudder is back on the right stick unless I hold the sticks in the upper corners again.

My Flyzone Focke Wulf FW-190 Select Scale came with the Tactic TTX600 and transmitter has worked with all of the previous AnyLink planes that I have flown including the little Sabre jet. It also bound with and controlled the Nieuport 17 but the rudder was on the left channel as is normal for most four channel radio systems here in North America and the elevator was on the right channel. I had no trouble flying with throttle and rudder on the left stick nor did fellow author Dick Andersen who helped with the media for this review. But several other friends had trouble adjusting to having the main turning control on the left stick.

My first Flyzone World War I era plane was the Flyzone Albatros and it came with its own little transmitter which was before they came out with AnyLink. While it does a great job controlling my Albatros it did not bind with my Nieuport. The original little transmitter version of the Albatros will not bind with the Nieuport. NEWER versions of the Albatros contain the SLT protocol and the current RTF versions come with the Tactic TTX402 transmitter that is compatible with the Nieuport.

AnyLink 2.4GHz Radio Adapter

My version of the Nieuport 17 came with a receiver board designed to be used with the AnyLink 2.4GHz radio adapter. The AnyLink Adapter has been out for a number of months now and if you are familiar with it I recommend you skip ahead to the flying Basics section. The Tactic AnyLink allows me to fly my Nieuport 17 with it's receiver board directly with a Tactic transmitter as described above or with almost any transmitter out on the market. This includes transmitters that were originally on FM and transmitters made by: Futaba, Hitec, JR, Spektrum and Tower Hobbies. The instruction manual discusses doing a 50 foot range check but I have fully tested a range of about 150 feet outside without any problems. As small as she is I seldom fly more than about 120 feet away from myself maximum.

Binding the Transmitter to the Receiver

No binding instructions came with the Nieuport 17. The instructions that came with my AnyLink were for planes with normal size receivers with a binding button to push in. The method described below is my modification from the AnyLink instructions.

The Binding Process

• Turn on the transmitter.
  • Connect the flight battery to the Nieuport 17.
  • After a few seconds the plane was bound to the transmitter
  • while holding the plane and clear of the propeller apply throttle to full and back to off so that the throttle will operate
  • Test controls to make sure the directions are correct, if not reverse the necessary channels on the transmitter.

For more information on the AnyLink system just click on the link below to their website and the chart there for transmitters, cables and compatibility:

AnyLink: http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html

Replacement Parts

Replacement Parts

• FLZA6102 Motor
  • FLZA6245 Wing Set
  • FLZA6246 Fuselage
  • FLZA6247 Tail Set
  • FLZA6248 Wing Strut Set
  • FLZA6249 Pushrod Set
  • FLZA6250 Landing Gear
  • FLZA6251 Pilot
  • FLZA6252 Machine Gun
  • FLZA6253 Control Horns
  • FLZA6254 Propeller
  • FLZA6255 Gearbox
  • FLZA6256 Decal Set
  • FLZA6257 Cowl & Engine
  • GPMP0760 LiPo Battery
  • TACJ2402 TTX402 2.4GHz Transmitter (RTF Model)
  • TACL1424 TR424 Micro Rx w/PZ Servos

Flying

Basics

As discussed above in connection with the transmitter selection the Nieuport 17 is a three channel plane with throttle control, elevator and rudder control. The rudder and elevator should be in the neutral positions before the first flight. The Nieuport 17 will fly nicely on half throttle. Flight duration can be up to about 10 minutes in calm conditions at low throttle and over six minutes if flown at full throttle for most of the flight. I like to mix up my speed as it makes my full speed runs seem faster to me. The Nieuport 17 is responsive to even small stick commands so I can fly her in a nice controlled fashion or a bit wild when I am in mock combat.

Taking Off and Landing

Flights can be started with a small toss into the breeze or by taking off from a hard surface. We have flown the Nieuport from a soft dirt infield with the dirt smoothed out by foot and take-offs have been no problem. I would not try and fly from tall grass or thick carpeting. Landings are more difficult and it is unfortunately all to easy to nose over landing in the soft dirt infield. My best results have been landing with some power on into the wind on a hard surface. Upon touchdown I lower the throttle and apply some up elevator to help hold the tail down. If landing with power off I recommend giving a slight flair at the last second before touchdown. Slight power on as stated above has worked best for me but be ready to kill the throttle on touchdown, especially if she tips forward.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Aerobatics are somewhat limited with only three channel control. That said; she can perform an acceptable loop when I start with full throttle and a slight dive before pulling up on the stick to perform the loop. Also barrel like rolls are possible with practice starting with a slight dive at full throttle followed by full up elevator and hard rudder to the side of your choice after she has almost reached what would be the first quarter of a loop. Some attempts turn out pretty good, some miss for reasons as yet unknown to me, but even the failed attempts are fun. Inverted flight at the top of the loop is possible for the good or lucky pilot. The most fun is to have a friend with another Nieuport 17 or the Flyzone Albatros or Dr-1 to fly with be it pattern flying or mock combat. In mock combat we have experienced some fairly interesting moves at full throttle and flying in a fur ball.

Is This For a Beginner?

Biplanes with their two wings and struts might be a little more fragile then the available Flyzone small trainers but mine have had their share of abuse and are still flying fine. So while not my first choice for a beginner plane, if you have calm conditions or a large indoor space this could be a first plane.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

The first three pictures were Dawn Patrol and the sun rose while the plane was in the air.

The Nieuport 17 flies a Dawn Patrol mission.

Downloads

The Flyzone World War I planes: the Albatros, the Fokker Dr-1 and the Nieuport 17 fly together over Modesto.

Downloads

Conclusion

The Nieuport 17 is a nice addition to the Flyzone lineup of World War I planes. It is another nice plane for those that like to fly little biplanes indoors or outside. The only labor involved was in painting the pilot and while no one will hire me for my pilot painting skills I did enjoy painting him and now I am looking for a colorful scarf for him. My plane turns a little more sharply to the left then the right but it turns well in both directions. It has flown in a breeze of up to five miles per hour and handled it well but I needed to use more throttle and so I got a shorter flight then usual as a result. I have a couple of one cell batteries and with the stand alone battery charger that came with the Nieuport 17 I can charge one battery while I am flying with another battery. This leaves very little down time if I want to keep flying. By leaving for work fifteen minutes early I can get in a flight at the local park before work and again at lunch on calm days. Practicing landings with the Nieuport 17 should improve my overall landing skills. It flies well for me, has taken some abusive grass landings at the hands of my friends and has been a fun flyer for those that have had some stick time with her. The geared motor is a bit noisy but it works fine. She is too much fun to save just for indoor winter flying but I look forward to showing her off in December at our first indoor event at the county fair grounds.

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• It is nice to have an allied plane to fly.
  • Paint was nicely applied and the decals are colorful.
  • Flies from a smooth Sunday flier to an aggressive 3 channel fighter with more throttle and tight turns
  • Easy to transport
  • I can fly her with almost all of my transmitters
  • I can fly her indoors and outside

Minuses

• I have to remember to grab the transmitter, I can't just grab the box to go flying
  • Yes, one morning I forgot and just grabbed the box...DOH!

Thanks

My thanks to my friends Dick, Kirk, Benard and Don for help with the videos for this review and thanks to our editor for her assistance. I want to thank Flyzone for supplying this plane for the review as well as the AnyLink 2.4GHz radio adapter.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:27 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Very nice review Michael. She looks like a nice little micro. This would be a model I would love to have for indoors. It would be a hoot cruising around with it.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Dont be a gashole fly electric
Chaplin,Ct.
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
The plane flies beautifully, but is so loud the others at the field laugh.
Dave Bee is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bee
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Don't know why they would laugh, if you think about it, it's actually odder/funnier to have scale models of piston (or jet) driven planes that are practically silent. Just tell people it has a sound module.
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
Terry White
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
Nieuport 17 review

Thanks alot!! I have had one for several weeks, and have not been able to get her in the air. Now I can't wait. We really haven't started our indoor yet and the winds of fall haven't been to favorable for the "little guys". I'm envious!!
twhite346 is offline Find More Posts by twhite346
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun Mike! I can't wait until they make a Sopwith Pup!
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
I bought the tri-plane and was excited to put ailerons on it. I cracked it open and found there were two extra ports that looked like servo ports on the receiver. I wrote to Hobbyco to ask what servo would fit in the port. They wrote back that they have tried putting servos in those ports but they don't do anything. Kind of disappointing. I think these planes would be awesome full house.
glennz is offline Find More Posts by glennz
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
have you tried to put servos in them? rumor has it they fit the 1.25mm connectors from HK. like the hk5320 or hk282. i dont know. i hear these are tactic bricks. i want one, but if its only 3 ch...ugh. i had the same idea. im on the fence, either the 3ch mini vapor, or the nieuport 17.
some one must know!

edit: seems this thread says you can put ailerons in the albattross
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1599536&page=3

right now towerhobbies seems to have the albatros for sale 39.99 with free anylink, and i got quoted 10 shipping. so a new plane shipped to me with anylink (got my turnigy 9x with open9x running!) for 58 with taxes y todo.

not bad. i will see if the local hobby shop can do something similar.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Nov 11, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
The radio is 4 channels and also has a socket for a brushless ESC.
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
I was not able to sleep tonight so I am back from a little night flying by streetlight about an hour ago. While it is cold tonight in the low 40s there was no wind at all. Had a very enjoyable flying session with the Nieuport. I was a flying as slow as I have ever flown the Nieuport and trying to be as smooth as possible as I had to limit my range to keep her in sight by the light. Lots of trees near the street to avoid. I did fly too far away at one point and knew her last direction but couldn't see her. I turned her back by the sound of the motor and finally caught a glimpse or her and corrected her back on track by the light. No complaints from me about the noise from the gears. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Could this be flown indoors?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Could this be flown indoors?
Absolutely! I've flown it comfortably at both the huge JR dome as well as my local(small) gym. Slow and graceful and easily controlled in a small space/low ceiling.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
214 Posts
stick issues

I had the same issue with the rudder on the left stick for the txr playmate. My solution was to open up the case, install a 3pdt switch to tap into the aileron input and switch it to the rudder channel. Works well, flip a switch to change from the 4 channel set-up to put the roll back on the right stick for a 3 channel aircraft.
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:56 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Ordered one today,should be here by Fri. Ill be able to maiden it with the SE5a that I got last week,as long as the weather holds up. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is online now Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:27 AM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Well the weather has been crap since I got the 17 so Ive been detailing it for when it finally hits the skies. Ill get a pic. or two up if I can. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is online now Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238