SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:57 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGherardini
So how are you going to rig that thing? Flying diamonds are a hand full but ha,,,thats the idea.... Elevons?, A/E? ele pusher i assume...well i just reread your posts and see its a/e, with pusher. Flat plate style wings,,,man this is different!!...It does have that YF23 look ...pretty cool.....
Large ailerons with flaperon mix and elevator. I have 2 camber settings plus nutral on the ailerons.

So far I can ger good ground speed but once the ground velocity is up I start pulling back slow and it pops straight up into a stall in the bat of an eye... I think the CG is too far forward, Dan says it's too far back, the Ex-Pres of the Harbor Soaring Society (ex-pres. and R/C flyer for 30 years, charter member of the oldest AMA sanctioned soaring club. I am also a member.) says I am right and I need to move the CG back... so tommorow I am going back 1 inch from today initial flight. I have seen somewhere a spreadsheet fo CG calc of varing sweeps and shapes, I will have to locate it again.

I can't wait to get the prototype setup, I have a Jeti 15/3 that wants a late model war bird airframe. 25oz static thrust 15oz in flight thrust and 77mph pitch speed. 3.5 minutes flight on CP1300... Prop 5.5x4.3. Weight of the power system 16oz, airframe weight 6oz (with now Rx or servos)... That should make my YF-23 almost respectable.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:38 AM
Joined Jul 2003
770 Posts
I think it was pilot error =P
Summer is offline Find More Posts by Summer
Old Dec 01, 2003, 10:44 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
If the model does an instant pop up with a little up elevator , your CG is definitely too far aft. Only that relationship can cuase that type of reaction. A model will stall when nose heavy, but it will never do a pop up like that.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:36 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
excell

This might be it
DaveGherardini is offline Find More Posts by DaveGherardini
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:42 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
Balancing those types are tuff though. Laterial balance has to be real close to but im sure your doin that. Theres nothing like the challange of getting an unusal design flyin strait and level. Its does seem from the pop up stall that the cg would be to far aft but sometimes i have found that dimonds do wierd things...Sounds like your getin close though...
Old Dec 01, 2003, 08:14 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Well I took it out for lunch (It did not eat much) and moved the battries till I had the pack hanging "2" off the nose... so far that has given the best show but still not flight ready... but close...

I am going to cut and section the prop well and motor cut-out back in and move the motor forward enough to match the current CG with the battery backed up next to the motor. Then I'll move the battery forward one inch at a time and see what happens.

This has been about the most challenging plane I have attempted, so far it made the F-117 look like childs-play.

Thanks for the d/l Dave I will have a peek at it and make another attemp to calculate it, but if all else fails I can still ball back to the trial and error, I am getting close and moving in the right direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2003, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2003
770 Posts
BUNNGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
U Need more ground speed rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Summer is offline Find More Posts by Summer
Old Dec 01, 2003, 08:44 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Got plenty of speed, If I thought that was the problem I have that 15/3 77 mph, with that I don't need wings! Thrust of the power system exceeds its own weight by 11 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:10 AM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
Summer, If its flat it wont be a very stable high speed flyer. There in sets the speed envelope it can fly at. then you prop it for that speed envelope. its envelope is going to be real short and hard to find but hopefully obtainable. "wow" them to big of words for me... HEHEHEEE...
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:17 AM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
The tough thing is to build it with the most mass close to the AC. But that cant always be done so when you have to spread out the weight you would spread it out the least. And save weight. ..with an EDF you might be able to get it closer with that airframe.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 04:31 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
I was considering powering one up with the 020/powerfan from Wattage. this would let me use the enging ducting for battery enclosures. 2 5 cell packs.

Weight of the bare bones airframe (no wheels, electronics or power system is 6 oz. Looks like stall speed was under 20 mph judgeing by the actions I have seen so far. the only real question now is after I get the CG set will I be able to keep it stable. This will be the true test of my thumbs. I don't think it will be hard to manage.

I think it will be like my little 20 inch johnson powered wing that I had a hard time letting go of to develop the Le Pew... If I can get it in the air I can fly it.

I am cutting out proto #2 tonight, I will use #1 for a few more tests as it is getting beat up pretty good from landing hard on take-off attempts.

My final version I want a 40 inch span, I was considering laminating EPS foils and leading edges to the sturdyboard wings as well as a couple good stout carbon spars from tip to tip. It would not be hard to do and would probably improve overall flight I was thinking of doing the cockpit section in EPS to to give the plane some dimesion...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2003, 01:16 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Building #2 today, I will be moving the motor forward on this one and go for a CG of 7" to start Wing Chord nearly 21 inches at the root but only 1.1 inches at the tip.

Refined the profile look a bit more.

I am not ready to todd in the towel just yet... (I love pounding my head on rocks too!)

I will take it out round 3 or 4 pm today or early AM tommorow if I am not done.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2005, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Twin EDF55 YF-23

Letís revive this topic YF-23 Black Widow
Here is my 3D Twin EDF Foamy

Wing span: 23.75
Length: 37
Flight weight: 12.5oz
Fuel cell: GWS Ni-MH 750mAh 9.6v
EDF: 2x GWS55-150
StrikeZone is offline Find More Posts by StrikeZone
Old May 19, 2005, 09:49 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
I'm starting one as well, 20" on 2 cells and twin EDP-50. Targeting indoor flight.

For something a little different, I'm cambering the wings with a simplex airfoil, 6% at the root, transitioning to something less at the tip. The simplex will handle the extreme taper and transition nicely.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old May 19, 2005, 09:49 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
sexy
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226