to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
I know I said with models under 7kg's, the pilot doesn't need to hold a valid 'B' certificate, but please consider taking the certificate tests with a model this size.
I know I'd be scared as hell to be anywhere near a model like this unless I knew the pilot was fully competent, which is what the tests and certification shows.
Especially when the only video of you flying something, ended with a crash on take off!

Then again, there's no point taking the tests for a model that will likely never see the light of day..
New Rule for this Thread.. if you dont have anything good to say then dont Post! (Refering to other With posts that have no validd points , not refering to alex's post)

now for God sake back on topic
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
100% crasher
Sverige, Skåne Län, Hässleholm
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Hello K!

once you have figured out all the bottlenecks of this builD and got it flying; could there be a "kit" out of this model minus hardwAre(motor/servos etc etc)
building the first means you will have to make cutting of the different parts plus making the moulds (many steps in your fabrication is well over my level- better leave that to guys who nows- like you!, also my living is puttiNg a firm stop to a build like this- no space!!)

i have time to wait for a kit if There will be, only proBlem is transportation- just got a smart, but hey!! everything goes with the right spirit and a little afterthought.

//jJ
alfa166 is offline Find More Posts by alfa166
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa166 View Post
Hello K!

once you have figured out all the bottlenecks of this builD and got it flying; could there be a "kit" out of this model minus hardwAre(motor/servos etc etc)
building the first means you will have to make cutting of the different parts plus making the moulds (many steps in your fabrication is well over my level- better leave that to guys who nows- like you!, also my living is puttiNg a firm stop to a build like this- no space!!)

i have time to wait for a kit if There will be, only proBlem is transportation- just got a smart, but hey!! everything goes with the right spirit and a little afterthought.

//jJ
Sure!..just got to get this thing Done First
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
3DDF, this thread is not moderatred by you. So no threats on thread rules or anything of that sort.

You need to make it clearer what your intentions are other than making a cool thread, playing with CAD, and maybe impressing girls by saying you "own" a military UAV.

Also without exotic materials, you will have a tough time flying with electric power. Just so you know, 3-4 hours on electric power is a pipe dream. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to help.

To repeat, please state your intentions. I asked before in another post, and asked above. You seem to want to avoid the issue.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
New Rule #2 You must click your heals and say "There's no place like home" and then go into your attic and say "Beatlejuice, beatlejuice, beatlejuice."

Btw, have you guys seen the new Mclaren P1?? Totally sick!

http://www.gizmag.com/mclaren-p1-det...ictures/24335/

fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Well my intentions have changed now being because of all the Flight restrictions associtated with a model of this size
my intentions are
a 5-10minute flight time at Close Range and the Possibility of a 30min flight time For some FPV flying at the ilse of man... (pretty much deserted So i can FLy Low... And View Rare seabirds and Seals and such)

K
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
100% crasher
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies View Post
Sure!..just got to get this thing Done First

nice!!, i'm not goinG to do anything else than flying it (no uav/ fpv junK), currently i'm working on a huge drivetrain (10 speed 400 brushed motors in a planetary gearbox) that might be up to the job of hauling such beast in to the air.
as for my skills of building and store sUch huge aircraft i will have to extend my house (200 square meters and a family is not enough!!), building a beast like this with all the Skill it requires is over my top- vacum molding, carbon fibeR etc etc is more than i can handle (cutting and glueing balsa plus some depron to max sixe planes of 2mEter span is what iv'e done so far)

//jJ
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
New Rule #2 You must click your heals and say "There's no place like home" and then go into your attic and say "Beatlejuice, beatlejuice, beatlejuice."

Btw, have you guys seen the new Mclaren P1?? Totally sick!

http://www.gizmag.com/mclaren-p1-det...ictures/24335/

cool Car! But off Topic!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
nice!!, i'm not goinG to do anything else than flying it (no uav/ fpv junK), currently i'm working on a huge drivetrain (10 speed 400 brushed motors in a planetary gearbox) that might be up to the job of hauling such beast in to the air.
as for my skills of building and store sUch huge aircraft i will have to extend my house (200 square meters and a family is not enough!!), building a beast like this with all the Skill it requires is over my top- vacum molding, carbon fibeR etc etc is more than i can handle (cutting and glueing balsa plus some depron to max sixe planes of 2mEter span is what iv'e done so far)

//jJ
Wow thats quite some Drivetrain!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,181 Posts
Perhaps you could manage the first thread,

this seems to be a bit unrealistic.

9 gram servos - are you serious?

6 hours flight time with the additional flight pack.

Is this all a joke? Its not April 1st

The payload bay of the Reaper is sized to carry an 10,000 MAh of Lipo's
a second Video Tx and secondary Rx (to pan and Tilt the cameras) and a GPS/OSD with Pitot tube
alongside a BEC and 2200mah 2s Lipo

I have attached

Though i will need some advice for servo's and the Motor
Servo wise i was thinking some 9g digi Metal gear (good enough or do i need more Grunt ?)

Motor wise i need something to swing a 3 blade 19x4 or 19x6 prop on 4-6 cells for long sustained periods of time

any ideas?

P.s im looking for around 3-4 hours of loiter time initially (6 hours with the Aditional Flight Pack in the Payload bay )
Would 20,000 Mah be Sufficient ?
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:07 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
this seems to be a bit unrealistic.

9 gram servos - are you serious?

6 hours flight time with the additional flight pack.

Is this all a joke? Its not April 1st

The payload bay of the Reaper is sized to carry an 10,000 MAh of Lipo's
a second Video Tx and secondary Rx (to pan and Tilt the cameras) and a GPS/OSD with Pitot tube
alongside a BEC and 2200mah 2s Lipo

I have attached

Though i will need some advice for servo's and the Motor
Servo wise i was thinking some 9g digi Metal gear (good enough or do i need more Grunt ?)

Motor wise i need something to swing a 3 blade 19x4 or 19x6 prop on 4-6 cells for long sustained periods of time

any ideas?

P.s im looking for around 3-4 hours of loiter time initially (6 hours with the Aditional Flight Pack in the Payload bay )
Would 20,000 Mah be Sufficient ?
Sorry i meant 19g Thanks for Spitting my error though
and if youo read my post the objectives have changed
and BTW the 2200 2s is to run the BEC..
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
100% crasher
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
regarding servos:
a rule of thumb is as follows: you need servo power equall to the weight of the plane!
so, if your plabe will weigh 10 kg- you need servo power close to 10 kg or slightly less (but for an aircraft this big I for my self would use belt and braces and not go under 10 Kg servos on any controll surface)
also remember that servo force is measured very close to the output shaft (minimal lever= high power)

so I dont really understand you when u say u will use 19g servos- best you would get is 2.5 Kg or so in force, but I think you have been calculating the dynamic loads generated on the controll surfaces and coming up with that 19g servos would do the job?

for the reinforcements with glassfiber/carbon fiber- have there been any stress analysis done so that u now where it might be needed to put this? in order to save weight i would not just put "something" just to say that it's a fiberglass fuse/ wing.

//jj
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Quote:
regarding servos:
a rule of thumb is as follows: you need servo power equall to the weight of the plane!
so, if your plabe will weigh 10 kg- you need servo power close to 10 kg or slightly less (but for an aircraft this big I for my self would use belt and braces and not go under 10 Kg servos on any controll surface)
also remember that servo force is measured very close to the output shaft (minimal lever= high power)

so I dont really understand you when u say u will use 19g servos- best you would get is 2.5 Kg or so in force, but I think you have been calculating the dynamic loads generated on the controll surfaces and coming up with that 19g servos would do the job?

for the reinforcements with glassfiber/carbon fiber- have there been any stress analysis done so that u now where it might be needed to put this? in order to save weight i would not just put "something" just to say that it's a fiberglass fuse/ wing.

//jj
i was going to use 19g Digital metal geared Hi-voltage servos with 3.5KG of tourque.. .and yes i have calculated the load.. and it it Within the Planned servos specs..

also i dont quite Get the second part and if you could re-phrase tha would be Great!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,181 Posts
Why does everyone need to copy the entire previous posts?

Lots of duplicate car photos here. Id think a reference would be understood.

Need to get out of here - this seems to be a joke to me.

19 gram servos - well thats 10 more grams than the 9's.

What sort of math are you using to calculate the servo requirements? I just cant connect the dots.
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Last edited by Air Head; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Closed Thread