SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
3D.. While I see concerns with what you are doing, that your AUW will be higher and you'll need a larger power system I think it's great that you are think this through like you are.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-bert View Post
Hi K,
do you know the orignal airfoil of the plane?

Regards
Herbert
Nope! Cant find much info other than some 3 views and Pictures..
so Cad is Wayy Helpful

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
3D.. While I see concerns with what you are doing, that your AUW will be higher and you'll need a larger power system I think it's great that you are think this through like you are.
Please Call me K
im Dropping the 20,000mah of lipos and going for a 6s 5000Mah Lipo for Lesser flight time to get it in under 7kg... Meaning i wont have to have a BMFA B certificate to fly the Thing

K
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
By now I assume you have the camera you said you'd be getting. We'd all like to see some pics of your progress, and maybe the fake grass as well.

What's the projected actual weight of the wing panels, too? That's just a quick volume x density calculation.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Quote:
im Dropping the 20,000mah of lipos and going for a 6s 5000Mah Lipo for Lesser flight time to get it in under 7kg... Meaning i wont have to have a BMFA B certificate to fly the Thing
So you're looking at a total weight of less than 15.5lbs for us here in America, and you're cutting the available energy by 70%?

Sounds good. I imagine that with all your experience you've got most of the technical details figured out already.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
So you're looking at a total weight of less than 15.5lbs for us here in America, and you're cutting the available energy by 70%?

Sounds good. I imagine that with all your experience you've got most of the technical details figured out already.
im upping power by 4% by upping the cell count and dropping mah for lesser flight times and to get it in under 15lbs
and because of all the Restrictoins there is no point FPV'ing it so theres no need for for such long loiter times..

K
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Quote:
im upping power by 4% by upping the cell count and dropping mah for lesser flight times and to get it in under 15lbs
and because of all the Restrictoins ther no point FPV'ing it sotheres no need for for such long loiter times..
Could you post the calculation you did to arrive at a 4% increase in power? Everything I do is giving me a significant decrease in total available power, but maybe my math is off.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Could you post the calculation you did to arrive at a 4% increase in power? Everything I do is giving me a significant decrease in total available power, but maybe my math is off.
i meant less mah and more voltage and Less wieght mean more watts per pound so you do the math
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Without knowing the AUW of the airframe, I'm having a hard time doing the math

Which is why I asked.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Concerned

I'm confused what your intent is for this airplane. Why do you want to build a military UAV for your personal use? It looks like a smaller one and only electric, but seems strange. A plane this size (you said 20,000 MAH) is definitely a threat to anyone you fly by. Maybe you should think about something else to do with your money. I really don't see any good that can come from this. Cool cad drawings though.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Just as a heads up for weight. My FPV skywalker has a 60 inch wing span, fully loaded for a 40 minute flight weighs 5 lbs. Keeping your weight under 15 lbs for a plane that big will be tough.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
...I really don't see any good that can come from this. Cool cad drawings though.
+1

You immediately caught on to what is going on here. Good for you.

Others, it seems, have yet to realize the intent, unless, perhaps, they also know full well, and are in fact gaming the gamer. Several of them definitely are.

Does the gamer know he's being gamed?
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
+1

You immediately caught on to what is going on here. Good for you.

Others, it seems, have yet to realize the intent, unless, perhaps, they also know full well, and are in fact gaming the gamer. Several of them definitely are.

Does the gamer know he's being gamed?
The guy is nuts and its painfully obvious. Why are you so dead set to incessantly point this out?
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
The guy is nuts and its painfully obvious. Why are you so dead set to incessantly point this out?
I, along with many others, don't like to see well-meaning fellow flyers being made fools of, so we post the occasional heads up to warn them off.

But you're right, I've wasted enough time on him. We all have.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies View Post
Please Call me K

K
I know I said with models under 7kg's, the pilot doesn't need to hold a valid 'B' certificate, but please consider taking the certificate tests with a model this size.
I know I'd be scared as hell to be anywhere near a model like this unless I knew the pilot was fully competent, which is what the tests and certification shows.
Especially when the only video of you flying something, ended with a crash on take off!

Then again, there's no point taking the tests for a model that will likely never see the light of day..
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Closed Thread