SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:30 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,313 Posts
Nice Chris
Hope to see it fly in Cumberland
No tug needed , Just chuck it over the hill!
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,606 Posts
Tow hand launch

Next time towing, just handlaunch it like I do here:

Towing hand launch (1 min 0 sec)

regards
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Darn that was a quick flight!
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
710 Posts
Here's the video you've all been waiting for...

YouTube Video, click to watch...
Piper Cub Sailplane Part 3
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
941 Posts
Yay! Way to go! Looks and flys great. Well done.
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:26 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
Here's the video you've all been waiting for...

YouTube Video, click to watch...
Piper Cub Sailplane Part 3
That was great ! ! !

Looks like a load of fun.
Congrats
Phillip C
(going out to plan box to find a small glider plan right now )
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:59 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,606 Posts
Its even better than I expected..
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
710 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah I was pretty sure she'd fly if only I could get it off the ground. What I didn't expect was how nicely she flies.

Flight Report
Well the video pretty much tells the story but here's a few thoughts...

The ground handling isn't good.
The guppy shaped fuselage with a big bulge right at the CG makes her rock back-n-forth causing a lot of friction. Although the shape looks good its does cause issues for sure. A wheel placed at the leading edge of the wing would have helped. I may fashion a custom dolly for her.

Tow speed.
With the moderate wing-loading I expected her to fly pretty fast & she does get up & go when she wants too. I was afraid she might tend to overtake the tow plane like many slick modern scale sailplanes will do. The flaps were effective air-brakes though, pretty easy to control the speed on tow.

Handling
She flies like she's on rails, this is one of the most stable sailplanes I've flown. That's surprising considering the absurdly dinky fuselage & short-coupled tail. I expected her to be really pitch sensitive but she's not at all. The 40% expo on the elevator should be helping but it seems there's sufficient h-stab back there to make her natively stable. Turns are nice too. I have a fair amount of aileron differential programed & also mixed in some rudder (except when the aerotow release is closed) so she stays nice & coordinated. With the flaps also acting as ailerons the roll rate is pretty snappy for a sailplane. Again with the moderate wing-loading she carries a fair amount of energy which is great for aerobatics. Makes for some serious fun tossing her about the sky.

Landing
The big barn-door flaps were very effective. Although I've not tried a full flap, 45° nose down landing yet, I'm thinking she'll do that without picking up much speed. I have a 1/4" of crow programmed into the outboard ailerons to further slow things down but mainly to keep the wing-tips flying at low speeds. After all it was a tip-stall-o-doom that destroyed the original stock fuselage, I don't want a repeat performance. The inboard ailerons remain functional even when acting as flaps, so roll control remains crisp all the way down to stall speed. One of the easiest planes to land I've flown.

Thermalling
Before you laugh, if I can resist the urge to point the nose towards the ground & fly aerobatics, I think this daft little glider might actually thermal. Granted it'd probably need medium to strong lift but if I keep the airspeed up, the sink-rate isn't actually all that terrible. I know from flying some of my other heavier sailplanes, a high wing-loading doesn't necessarily mean she drops like a brick. Those do have nice long, high aspect wings with fancy airfoils though. We'll have to see.

Slope Soaring
We're talking an hour or two road trip at least if I want to hit the slopes. I think it'd be worth it though as there's little doubt where this silly Cub belongs. Fairly aerobatic, tough foam construction, big flaps for small landing areas, good wind penetration. She belongs on the slope.

Conclusion
So what I believe I have here is a "flat-land slope soarer". She's docile enough for some lazy thermaling (assuming there's enough lift) yet aerobatic enough to tare up the sky when she wants to. The aerotow capability means I don't have to shelf her until we hit the slope. I love the attention she gets too, definitely something you don't see every day. I wish she wasn't quite as beat up looking but at least I don't have to worry about scratching the paint. I could see myself building another one, perhaps a lot bigger, probably a lot lighter construction. I think that'd be something fun to take to the various scale aerotow events I attend. That's assuming they're okay with a "fantasy scale" glider in their midst. *grin*

A big thanks to the New Canaan Remote Control Society for putting up with my silliness. You guys are the best. And also for those that contributed advice here on the forums. Well time to move on to the next project. Stay tuned for more "adventures in radio control"...
Last edited by Nodd; Oct 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,674 Posts
Tuning back in a little late, but ...

NICE ! great flying and good looking !

I Like it :-)

Congrats on the long effort and eventual success.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
Congrats! Your exuberance reminds me of how awesome it is when something you built finally performs the way you want.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:06 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
Joined May 2002
4,090 Posts
Very nice.

And, now in the current December 2012 RCSD

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,674 Posts
After following this I am keen to do it up on my CNC in a clean, new parts format.

Maybe a built up fuse like this one or a Kayak Foam version for durability on
rough slope landings or newbee Aero Tows.

Also a built up foam wing as I've had success with on my Falclone 60 et al.
Possibly some fine wires at the tips to keep the wing out of the grass and level during tow off !

The Cartoonish / Guppy look is very appealing.

Thoughts ? Objections ? Ideas ?

Best,

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
710 Posts
UPDATE
Well its been a couple of months now since the maiden (or should I say first successful) flight. The Cub sailplane is still flying great, I have loads of flights on her now. I even took her to a few giant scale aerotowing meets, where she raised more than just a few eyebrows. Here's a few photos shot by RC Aerotowing sailplane guru Len Buffington...

I wonder if this tug is up to the task of towing my mighty Cub...

LOL yeap I'm pretty sure she has enough horse power...

Off the ground in two feet...

Up up & away!..

Some day I'll build a bigger one. Anyway thought you might enjoy that.
Last edited by Nodd; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:02 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
710 Posts
UPDATE
We're deep into the Winter now & I'm still playing with my Cub sailplane...

Nodd RC - 038 - Snow Tow (3 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:42 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
glad to see she still lives!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod