to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:49 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Got the tail-wheel installed...

Wing Bolts
I used rubber bands to hold the wings on for my last scratch build. I'm still getting grief from my subscribers for that decision. So you'll be happy to hear I'm going with nylon wing bolts this time.

Here's a mounting block I came up with for the rear mount...

The two dowels will be inserted into holes drilled deep into the fuselage. Its my hope this'll securely affix the block to the fuselage...

Here's the cutouts in the fuselage, ready to receive the block...

Secured with ample amounts of Gorilla Glue...

I considered using the peg method for the front but decided instead to just go with a second nylon blot. There's not enough "meat" around the front location to use the same dowel setup as the rear so I came up with this interlocking design...

As you can see the two pointy pieces of ply hold the block in place...

I made some cutouts in the fuselage...

And in she goes...

Its movie night tonight, gonna watch the Avengers with a few friends on my home theater. So that's all for now.
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
bravo

molto carino

luca.
dpl.it is offline Find More Posts by dpl.it
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Grazie luca.

The Wing
A lot of running out & doing chores today so I didn't get much time to play in the workshop. I did want to get the wing together though as my new, longer wing-rod has arrived from rcfoam.com...

Once again I raided the kitchen cabinets, used these glasses to support the wing, plates on top to weight it down...

I used Gorilla Glue once again. Not only is it seriously strong glue, it has the added bonus of expanding as it cures. That takes care of what to do about the wing-rod slot...

Once that's dry I'll sand the foaming glue flush with the wing. So I'm going to let this sit overnight & let the glue do its thing...

Spending 10 minutes to clear the clutter from my work-bench wouldn't hurt too *grin*
Last edited by Nodd; Oct 04, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:38 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Hey.... looks just like most of ours!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:26 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Yeah I'm not the only builder out there with a messy work bench I'm sure *grin*

She's starting to look like an airplane.

Well the Gorilla Glue filled the wing-rod slot alright but geesh does that ever looks ugly...

We'll address that shortly.

Flaps?
Well this glider already has everything but the kitchen sink, so why not flaps too? I marked out where I figured they might go...

I picked up this nifty tool for cutting strips of balsa but discovered it's also pretty handy for making nice 90° cuts in foam...

So here's our flaps. They should come in handy for making precision landings & because this puppy is going to be so incredibly good at thermalling, they'll be essential for getting down out of boomers ;-P

Test fitting the two flap servos...

That brings us up to seven servos in this dinky plane. She's a lean mean full-house machine!

Wing meet fuselage, fuselage meet wing
Time to get this wing mounted up. I needed something more than just Home Depot foam to keep the nylon wing-bolts from ripping through the wing. I cut some scrap carbon fiber into short lengths & cut recessed slots in the wing...

While I had the Dremal tool out I also cleaned out some of that yucky looking Gorilla Glue from the wing-rod slot...

Glued the carbon fiber into their slots...

Next I needed to drill holes for the nylon wing-bolts but where exactly should the holes go? Here's a neat trick I learned. Tape some Mylar or something similar to the fuselage & mark the wing-bolt location with a marker...

Do the same for the forward location...

Flip the Mylar back & install the wing. Measure everything so the wing is exactly centered & square to the fuselage...

X marks the spot. Drill away...

I probably don't have to mention that carbon fiber dust is nasty stuff. I use a mask & clean up the work area with a damp paper towel immediately afterwards.

Lubricating the nylon bolts (mind out of the gutter gentlemen)...

I wanted a way to locate the wing on the fuselage so that lining up the wing-bolts would be a snap. The solution was to add a small block that'd index the fuselage...

I glued that to the wing then gave her a test fit...

Slots, slots & more slots.
Time to do something about those rather un-aerodynamic slots in the top of my wing...

Glued scrap foam into the slots...

A little sanding & we're looking good...

Pretty pleased with that session, got a fair amount accomplished...

Oh yeah she's starting to look like an airplane alright...

A cute goofy airplane that is.

Now I'm started to get excited, there's light at the end of the tunnel. She'll be taring up the sky soon enough!
Last edited by Nodd; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
Awesome Work Nodd!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Oct 2006
305 Posts
Very nice work, and very inspiring !! BL
BIG LACY is online now Find More Posts by BIG LACY
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Painting the wing center section...

This is no way to start an aerotow.
With the wheel more or less at the CG I expect she'll flop forward like this during landings & tows. Not good...

So naturally the solution is an aluminum bar, a coat-hanger & a piece of old rubber piping...

If you've not guessed yet, yeap I'm making a nose skid...

The coat-hanger I bent into a U shape, that'll be inserted into the nose & act as an anchor for the front of the skid. The other hardware will attach the skid to the anchor...

On the rear of the skid I'm bolting this L shaped piece of scrap aluminum...

Here's the skid partially assembled...

The coat-hanger wires are glued deep into the nose...

The rear is bolted to a piece of rubber hose...

The L shaped piece of aluminum is to allow a winch line to be slipped over the end of the skid without getting stuck under the rubber pipe...

Well that should help with ground handling, no sticking her nose in the dirt...

I think it looks pretty cool too, something you don't see every day...

Next I hope to get the flaps & tail-feathers hooked up & functioning. Will post more soon.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:07 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
What's with the $3 servos?
If I could afford good servos, I probably wouldn't be working with an old wrecked Cub *grin*...

These are kinda oddball mismatched servos that I had laying around...

Cool, the tail is functional & working nicely...

Flaps
I've always wanted inboard flaperons (the flaps also move with the ailerons). So basically I have full-span ailerons with the inboard section pulling double duty as flaps. To achieve this I needed to bevel the flaps a tad so that they could move upwards as well as down...

I'm trying something a little different here by sticking CA hinges directly to the bottom of the wing instead of into a slot. I'm not using CA glue either as for this application, I need something less brittle. This Welder glue is awesome stuff, its kinda like industrial strength contact cement...

With the hinges on the bottom of the wing the flaps have unlimited downward travel. And due to the slight bevel they can also move upwards a few degrees...

Hooked up the two flap servos...

I still need to mess with the mixing but the wing's four control surfaces are all working...

This should be a fun wing, lots of opportunity to mess with flight modes, flaps, crow & other unnecessarily complicated stuff...

We're getting close now, not much more to do.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:48 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
781 Posts
Loving it Winching too eh? You are brave!
awmeade is online now Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Yeah I figured why not go all out. Just be glad I didn't stick a DLG launch peg on the wingtip too :-)

The last 10% takes 90% of the time
While that's generally true, wrapping up the last odds & ends went smoothly today. The first order of business was to install the radio spaghetti...

I hate disturbing the receiver by plugging/un-plugging wires when removing the wing, so I made a bunch of servo extensions. This allows me to plug the wing into those instead of messing with the receiver each time...

With all these wires I color coded everything so I don't have to think at the field. We should all avoid thinking whenever possible...

A couple of rare-earth magnets hold the battery hatch in place...

She was tail heavy when I first stuck her up on the balance stand, needing 6oz to level her out at 10% static margin...

To better help balance her I removed the nifty steerable tail wheel. It was useless anyway as the plane rests on the nose skid, with the tail up in the air...

That translated into a few less ounces needed in the nose. I also moved the CG back to 5% static margin & she balanced with just 3 ounces. Much better...

Added a custom Cub logo to the tail...

Well she's all ready to go. Maiden flight time tomorrow, woohoo! Wish me luck.

Last edited by Nodd; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Almost forgot
I know you folks probably want a few stats...
Wingspan: 60.25 in / 1530 mm
Weight: 40.9 oz / 1159 g
Wing Area: 465 sq.in
Wing Loading: 11.9 oz/sq.ft / 36 g/sq.dm
Cubic Loading: 5.93 oz/cubic.ft
Stall Speed: 17.1 mph / 27.5 km/h
She's about what I expected, not exactly a floater but not a lead-brick either. Somewhere in the middle for a sailplane. We'll find out how she performs tomorrow.
Last edited by Nodd; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:56 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
781 Posts
Good luck! Wing loading looks pretty good, should float fine. Slope, Tow or Winch for first outing?
awmeade is online now Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2008
48 Posts
stall speed

Nodd,

How do you figure out the stall speed?
(and a side question: did you mean mph instead of mpg as the unit?)

Bernd
pfrommbe is offline Find More Posts by pfrommbe