HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Build Log
Piper Cub Sailplane

Before you close this thread because it doesn't appear to be about scale sailplanes, bare with me...

So I wreaked my foamy Cub the other day...

The only part of the airframe that survived was the wing & tail feathers...

So I got to thinking what can I do with these? Then it hit me, what would it look like if the Piper Cub was a glider...

So although not an entirely serious project, I thought it might be fun to build a little glider out of my poor old Cub.

I'm thinking a tow hook for high-start/winching. An aerotow release for towing. Possibly add a center section to the wing to increase her span. Maybe add flaps. Primary construction will be foam which is new to me (usually work with balsa-wood).

Thread Index

Construction

Flying

Follow Ups
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Last edited by Nodd; Mar 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,779 Posts
Believe it or not, they did make a glider version of Piper Cub called TG-8. Many were produced during WWII for pilot training.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,092 Posts
You need to get another wing and cut it up and use sections to stretch a new wing.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
I was thinking to my self, I'd better check see if Piper did actually make any gliders. Right you are, the TG-8 would be a Cub Glider. I have to say my design is cuter though :-P

Yeah I'm thinking I'll want to add a center section to extend the wing some. Otherwise all I'm building here is an un-powered Cub & if I recall, mine didn't glide all that well LOL. If I can't find a spare wing to hack-up I'll likely just scratch build a center section.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Construction Begins
I printed up some paper templates, cut a few holes here & there so I could tape them to some Home Depot foam board...

Cut the fuselage sides out using my scroll saw...

I then cut another two fuselage pieces, these with interior space for the radio gear. These I only rough cut, will sand them smooth once the fuselage is assembled...

Cut slots for the rudder & elevator push-rods...

I also cut a slot for a carbon fiber bar that'll run the length of the tail...

Test fitting the carbon fiber bar...

Glued the two interior halves together with the carbon fiber sandwiched inside...

Added some weight, time to take a break & let the glue dry...

Well that's a start. Will have more progress soon.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:50 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,686 Posts
Cool, and it will be great
If my Funcup can soar, so will this.

MPX Funcup sloping (1 min 55 sec)

Good luck.
S
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
cool project
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
538 Posts
Ill take one!
SandyAlan is online now Find More Posts by SandyAlan
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Well that's encouraging. I guess that's proof of concept right there. Onwards & upwards!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
302 Posts
Chris

I have aerotowed Klaus with the Fun-Cub a couple of times. I have had a couple of flights longer than him.A good way to upset a good glider pilot Specially when you are towing folks up instead of flying yourself!

Roger
rfk is online now Find More Posts by rfk
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Yeah Roger that's never a good feeling when you beat the tow plane down *grin*

We'll have to see what happens when you tow this Cub with the Fun Cub. It'll be Cub madness... First one down is a rotten egg!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
SOARMINDED
United States, OK, Mannford
Joined Jul 2006
410 Posts
me too !

i bought a 1/3 scale Super Cub. It was built so badly I have decided to do the same thing. Glad i am NOT the only crazy on this train ! ALL ABOARD !
Jerry
GNX430 is offline Find More Posts by GNX430
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:43 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
All abord the crazy train... choo choo! Wow a 1/3 scale Cub sailplane would be something. Let me know how that goes, I'd love to compare notes on how these perform.

Aerotow Release

This'll be my third aerotow sailplane. My first has the release mounted way up under the nose, the other centered in the nose. I like the way the glider rides nice & high above the tow-plane using the under nose option but you have to flip the glider over on its back to insert the tow-loop. Where-as my other glider, with the release mounted in the nose, has much easier access. For that reason alone I prefer a nose mounted release...

I'm used to mounting these in fiberglass or balsa, this is the first foam instillation I've attempted. Given the softness of the material I opted to place a washer in front of the release to help distribute the load some...

I should probably have installed this before gluing the foam together. That would have reduced the amount of surgery required. No biggy though, once I add the fuselage sides all this ugliness will be buried inside...

I'll likely add reinforcing either side of the release before I add the fuselage sides. Fingers crossed I never need to service the release as it'll be a nightmare to get at later on.

Well I'm going fishing for a few days, I'll get back to this later in the week.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,317 Posts
Very nice Chris

Being creative and out of the normal , I like that

We had a older club member come to the SKSS field Wed with a Radien body and a Spirt wing

It climbed out perfect. And thermaled better the the two other radiens in the air

Innovation!
creeve is online now Find More Posts by creeve
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Well part of it is I'm currently between jobs so I have to be creative if I want to fly fun aircraft. The other part is, I'd be doing this anyway even if I had money. Seeing something I've designed & built fly is half the fun.

Tundra Tires
As any fan of the Piper Cub knows, big fat tires for off field operation are where its at. I'd like to include a wheel, especially if I'm going to aerotow this puppy. Ideally I'd like a BIG honking wheel in there but I've run into a problem. The carbon fiber bar I ran down the inside of the fuselage is in the way. Here's a big three inch wheel where I'd like to put it...

That's not going to work though, the CF bar is in the way. This dinky two inch wheel fits though...

I have a couple of ideas how to get a big wheel in there without compromising my carbon fiber keel. Will post more on that soon.

While we're on the subject of wheels, I suppose there's no reason why I shouldn't reuse the nifty scale tailwheel. I've never had a glider with steerable gear, fun fun...

I'm flying tomorrow so not sure how much I'll get done, will keep you posted.