HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
Discussion
SMARTMODEL-Tail shaft drive and raise tail system 500/600/800 build thread and Q/A

It is a new design from Smartmodel tail shaft drive and raise tail gear box system . it is suitable for Align 600/700 .Customer possible let test flying the mechanic in pod status .let you sure your setting are suitable in scale flying and no need take risk with your new scale fuselage .We recommend you put this system in your mechanic and test fly well and sure your flybarless system setting well .This system is the best way let your scale fuselage flying safty and test flight with confident .

Kit included :
Front drive shaft (Long length)
Angle adjustable front gear box set(0-5 degree)
Long main drive shaft (700mm)
Bearing holder
Angle adjustable raise tail gear box(35 degree to 65 degree)
Servo linkage arm
Tail drive shaft (300mm)
The tail gear box mix width( 32mm )
Drilling tools x 1
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kin; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:33 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
I have it and it works great

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
the post start tomorrow , He He ! now is middle night 3:00am here . so sleepy ! post here some hours later . let me a sleep ZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
I just maidened my V1 or V2 600 size RC Aerodyne Coast Guard Jayhawk using this torque tube conversion kit and it works great. The biggest challenge is cutting your torque tubes to the correct lengths and getting your angles right before installing in the fuselage. Be sure to loctite everything and rough up the ends of the tail booms so they don't twist in the fittings. I also had to make 1/2"cuts into the end of each boom so that they could slide all they way into the fittings before tightening them down.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I just maidened my V1 or V2 600 size RC Aerodyne Coast Guard Jayhawk using this torque tube conversion kit and it works great. The biggest challenge is cutting your torque tubes to the correct lengths and getting your angles right before installing in the fuselage. Be sure to loctite everything and rough up the ends of the tail booms so they don't twist in the fittings. I also had to make 1/2"cuts into the end of each boom so that they could slide all they way into the fittings before tightening them down.
Thanks for sharing,my should be on the way,still havent got a trackingnumber
But this essiental info when installing.

Br
Jack
viggen65 is online now Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:48 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
The length of the torque tube that is easy to find it , first you can let the mechanic outside the fuselage . but let the mechanic side by side the with the fuselage , keep the same main shaft point , and than let the raise tail gear box hang in the fuselage right position by tape , let the long torque tube complete one side the coupler (but don't glue and drill the lock pit). just dry fit in one side and eye see how the length you should cut , after cut . the total length better is -3mm . let it a little space . don't too tight in the length , let space about 3mm is better .
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:18 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Just got mine also today,but i have a quest...isnt possibble to use the original
Trex tt betveen the mechs and the raised system?..maybe am stupid but reading that the shafts has to be adapted,is this if no tailboom is to be used
And taildrive is to run like the variostyle just with a shaft connected to mech and taildrive?

Cheers
Jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:08 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Maybe should say also that i only using the rear part off the system,i have a heliartist tiger and chaos 600,using the boom a put the raised rear part on and on the mechanic,all thing i had to do is to adjust the angle on the rear part slighly,as i understand now is that the shafts has to be adapted if also using
The front part and changing the angle

Ps....just one thing that worries me a bit...when turning around the gears on the rearpart i got from kin i feel when coming to a specific point the gears runs harder,dont know if this is due they are new,i have examined them and they seems ok from what i can see,maybe some teflongrease will do it?

Cheers
Jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:41 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
The standard boom and torque tube were too long to fit in the Jayhawk so I had to cut them to the appropriate lengths. My gearbox gears loosened up after the first flight.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:14 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
The standard boom and torque tube were too long to fit in the Jayhawk so I had to cut them to the appropriate lengths. My gearbox gears loosened up after the first flight.

Thanks, good news about the gears!

Cheers
Jack
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Kin...just wonder,the gears that comes with the system,are they tested on 4 bladed setup running a 4 blade on the tail with 12s setup?...can Sm guarantee that they will hold up for the torq?

Cheers
Jack
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:29 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
I got five more flights on my Jayhawk today. Here is the link to my last one today. It was still kinda windy today and I need to make some adjustments for a pitch/elevator oscillation in forward flight. Tail seems to be holding well and no apparent issues with the bevel gears stripping. I'm running a two blade tail unit with 105mm blades.

Aerodyne Coast Guard Jayhawk (6 min 23 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:46 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Söderberg View Post
Kin...just wonder,the gears that comes with the system,are they tested on 4 bladed setup running a 4 blade on the tail with 12s setup?...can Sm guarantee that they will hold up for the torq?

Cheers
Jack
The Seahawk should be the same condition with Apache in next topic , they flying happy about it . but it is depend on how the control smooth and gentlly when you input the rudder ! if customer fast swing the rudder stick , i think it is so hurt gear . because the gear is Telfon not matel . matel too heavy , alumium too soft , bass too fast run out and higer cost . So in the coming future gear material try to find a better material but in this moment i still have nothing gear crash report . it our market more than 300 set a year till now . still nothing order again the gear set .just order the main shaft ! So if you gentle to the rudder control and no gyro hunting and sure the tail rotor is not too over size ! it is no problem .
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:23 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Thx Kin

Very diplomatic answer,but im still unshure, running a 1.7 meter heli with 700 blades, 3 bladed tailrotor on 12s I feel im gone wait, dont want to lose mine machine since its not guaranted that the material will hold, flyin a scale with knowledge that a big tailinput can result in a gearfailure is not enough for me to feel comfortable, taking Vario for example theirs gear are adapted for the application they are ment to be in, in this case for bigger scalehelis 800 and up
I think it should be tested furtherly, just mine point Kin.

Cheers
Jack
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
Ok !Can you let me know what mechanic you will put to your 800 seahawk ? The SM tail system now already start to have a 1:1.25 high speed gear ratio version come out middle Oct , but after your question here . it is good quaestion . Now i start a big version for 800 size . i will use bigger strong gear to build a 700-800 size .I can sure the gear strong enough . because the gear is same from Align soucing and they are use the gear for their crazy 3-D flying . so sure ok . but this bigger version also come out middle Oct . hope you can waiting . the gear box is base the same size , becaise trex 700 is same boom size with 600 . so my gear box is no need change , i just change the middle matel side frame . just a little length longer or new gear distance in the frame . I sure can solve this problem . i have chech the bevel gear between 600 and 700. both can put to my gear box . i think your tail rotor will not make loading higer than the crazy 3-D pilot ! . the other topic already upload the information about the 1:1.25 SM-HGR (High gear ratio gear ) version tail system. you will ask .why this bigger version not make the high gear ratio ??? i will find the gear soucing in this moment ! no worry the tail speed too low ! i will solve this problem .
RCG Plus Member