SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:26 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Hangar 9 F4-U Corsair ARF?

Has anyone here yet set eyes on the new(ish) Hangar 9 ARF Corsair? I'm very interested in converting one for E-power, but I'd like an insight into both the quality and weight out of the box before I order one. Of course, they may not yet be available, as they are shown as 'out of stock' on the Horizon Hobby website.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2003, 06:49 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Gordon, If you buy one I would double check all the glue joints.I was reading on RCU of a guy who had the new H-9 Texan and lost the firewall in mid flight!!! He was beyoned the recommend engine size(called for glow 100 4stroke he had a 150 )so maybe it was over stressed but anyhow a hard landing can do the same thing or put in minor cracks you wouldn't notice until it was to late.Also read the factory instaled retracts are not anything that great.So with that in mind good luck,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:18 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Stefan - thanks, I hear what you're saying about the glue joints, but that applies to ARF's in general rather than just those from Hangar 9. It's good policy to check all the glue joints that you can. However, with a covered ARF model, it may not be posible to check the most important joints without some major stripping and recovering.

On the retracts, I have a friend who has the Hangar 9 P-51 and has found those to be adequate, though he did replace the legs with one size thicker wire. However, his landings may be somewhat smoother than mine will be.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 12:43 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
The concern is: the rotating 90 degrees mechanics on the landing gear. Ball joints..? not good, will collapse with the slightest of side stress. And, yes out of stock.. Will wait on some flight reports and evaluations on this one. Nice looking must say.

Jim G
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:34 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,486 Posts
If the "Hangar 9" P-51 is any indication of the F4U quality and light build weight, I think it will be a winner.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
A friend Mark F who converted the Hangar 9 .60 size P-51 to electric (geared big Plettenberg on 20 CP cells or so) had no problems at all, except the retracts were a bit weak for our dirt field.

Hangar 9 P-51 video (18 MB Mpeg-1)
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Nov 30, 2003, 08:10 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Jim G - All the rotating retracts which I have seen to date don't use a ball joint - they are usually just a modification of the normal type of retract, with the leg being allowed to rotate.

Eddie & Herb - I'm suitable encouraged by your comments, but I still want to either see one for myself or contact someone who has one before I make a final decision.

One other aircraft is currently in the frame -
http://www.ss16.dial.pipex.com/Furth...on/Corsair.htm

This one's a bit larger and appears to be fitted with working flaps, so it might be a better bet for an electric conversion, my only fear is that it MAY be a touch on the heavy side.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:23 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,486 Posts
Gordon, the link you posted sure looks like a very nice Corsair. It certainly is more scale than the Hangar 9, but I was wondering, too, about the weight. How many cells are you looking to run on the larger F4U? 32 or so?

This may give some food for thought on the bigger Corsair. I've seen a World Model 80" Zero ARF fly in the last few months. It was excellently done by Kyle M. in the Bay Area - flies great, and has a whole lot of power for very clean aerobatics and scale fly bys at reduced power are eye candy extraordinarre. Here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...models+80+Zero
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2003, 02:42 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Gordon, do you have a site where this model is available for purchase..? The Flair model that is....thanks

Jim G
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Dec 01, 2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:04 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GordonTarling
... Eddie & Herb - I'm suitable encouraged by your comments, but I still want to either see one for myself or contact someone who has one before I make a final decision ...
The Hangar 9 P-51 I saw was somewhat close to scale but far from perfect. Semplifications in the frame constructions were camouflaged by some glossy oracover job and a nice set of decals.

My guess - based on what I saw of the P-51 and the pictures you posted of the Flair kit - is that the Flair F4U kit is a lot more scale. I agree you should research the issue a bit more.

Kyosho also makes a smaller F4U Corsair with a nice fiberglass fuselage and optional rotating retracts.

http://www.kyosho.com/airplanes/kyoa1103.html

http://www.mjp.co.uk/model%20aircraft/kyosho%20corsair/

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LWU151&P=3
Last edited by Herb; Dec 01, 2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 01:14 PM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Eddie - Hadn't finally settled on a power system for the larger Corsair, but I reckon it would have to be 28 or 30 cells and a Hacker C50 XL Acro. I'm encouraged by Kyle's success with that Zero, but that's a LOT of money to tie up in LiPo packs! World models also does a Corsair, but I've handled one of those and it felt heavy!

Jim G - Flair website is at www.flairproducts.co.uk They do have distributors around the globe, but you can also purchase direct if you need to.

Herb - I'm not too worried about scale fidelity, just as long as it 'looks right' in the air. I'd rather have a semi scale model which flies well than a true scale one that's a pig to fly. As you say, more research is required, as in 'hands on'. I'll also take a look at that Kyosho model.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 04:42 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
A C50 for this plane might be overkill or extra insurance. I ran some numbers in Motocalc 7 using an 8s4p pack. You could save weight and use the 6100.
The B50 XL would be almost $100 cheaper than a C50. I remember an article in Quiet Flyer magazine here in the US about the H9 P-51 conversion but I can't find my copy of the magazine. You could save weight by going to the 6100s or maybe reduce the cell count and go with a hotter wind on the motor.

Kelvin

Motor: Hacker B50 10XL; 1578rpm/V; 1.24A no-load; 0.0118 Ohms.
Battery: Thunder Power TP2050; 8 series x 4 parallel cells; 2050mAh @ 3.7V; 0.0125 Ohms/cell.
Speed Control: Castle Creations Phoenix 80; 0.001 Ohms; High rate.
Drive System: 17x10 (Pconst=1.31; Tconst=0.95) geared 6.7:1 (Eff=95%).
Airframe: H9 Corsair; 752sq.in; 143oz; 27.4oz/sq.ft; Cd=0.055; Cl=0.47; Clopt=0.67; Clmax=1.24.
Stats: 137 W/lb in; 124 W/lb out; 25mph stall; 34mph opt @ 67% (105:14, 108F); 41mph level @ 79% (78:08, 111F); 2388ft/min @ 52.9; -309ft/min @ -5.9.
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Dec 01, 2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I went to my LHS (Gyro Hobbies) on Sunday and believe it or not they had not one but TWO Hangar 9 F4U's in the store (as well as an Aresti and their .60 Mustang).

The quality looks excellent and the scale details seem better than the Mustang, including a very nice fake radial engine. And of course pre-mounted & installed rotating 90 degree retracts . All for $249 (without a 3-bladed prop ).

On saturday I also saw a brand new Hangar 9 Aresti fly on a Jeti 45 with GB and 12 GP cells. Very well made arf, and an impressive flier.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:58 PM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Herb - that's good news that they are out in the stores and of good quality. Any chance you'd be able to weigh all the parts next time you're down there? PLEASE
Old Dec 09, 2003, 04:43 PM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,416 Posts
I've seen the H9 Corsair too at the LHS, but I doubt that the hobby shop will let me unpackage everything to weigh it unless I've already made the purchase. The fuselage seemed very light coming out of the box, but I couldn't tell much about the wing becasue it was bagged and taped to some packing cardboard.

Brad
byoung is offline Find More Posts by byoung