SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:41 AM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
Help!
SW Help

So I am self teaching but I need a mentor, I can extrude these parts to .125 fine but when I try to extrude two slots and 8 holes to .080" It will not stay modeled.

here is the file - Can you correct and explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:26 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
You need to use Extruded cut, not Extruded boss. You may also need to flip the direction of your cut.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
assembly

Thanks for your help HK-
Well I finally got it, It kept giving me errors until i flipped the extrude cut.

maybe someone can help me in a step by step process in the assembly of these parts. It could help many people here.

Doug
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:23 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
There are lots of great tutorials out there on SW. Here's a link to the SW page with assembly tutorials.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/resourc...assemblies.htm

Basically, assemblies are done with mates, which define how parts are oriented to one another. Concentric mates are for, in one example, fastener holes. Other types of mates will define distance, angular relationships, etc. Run through those tutorial videos, they are the meat n potatoes of assembly work.

Something you need to be aware of, SW is not forwards compatible. If you send me a file and you're in an older release than me (I'm on 2012), you would not be able to open my saved file. I can't "save as" an older file type, it just isn't supported in SW. The best I could do is export an IGES and send that to you, but I believe it loses all the SW feature tree info.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Sep 22, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
I’ve always seen people get into trouble when they try to learn part building and assemblies at the same time. Build individual parts and get the hang of that first. Then learn the assembly mates and how to deal with multiple parts in an assembly file. Assemblies can get very complicated very quickly.

SW is a FABULOUS tool for this stuff! Good luck and feel free to pm with any questions or models, but like hemikiller I am on 2012.

I also believe unless you NEED to have the parts move with each other (example, fowler flap assembly) I would strongly recommend building in a part and having multiple bodies, keeps everything simple and easier to keep parametric.
mgivens is online now Find More Posts by mgivens
Last edited by mgivens; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
Also, looking at your file in SW, it looks to me as if you pulled the lines in from some other program…and you are building a LONG ways away from the zero point? The whole file looks strange to me, if you could explain your process I feel like I could better help you

-Michael
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
Mini-tricopter pilllow block

Here is another one,

material- Cut from .500x1.00x24" Piece from mcmaster carr

Link here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3586/=jl8ikm

I know my tree is awful, still trying to navigate thru it.

I still need to learn constraints.

Is there an easier way to do this?

also I would like to extrude this piece with a 1/16th cutter bit between each .750 block for a cut off point that will not detach for the cnc.

also shown in the newest .pdf

doug
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add question
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgivens View Post
Also, looking at your file in SW, it looks to me as if you pulled the lines in from some other program…and you are building a LONG ways away from the zero point/origin? The whole file looks strange to me, if you could explain your process I feel like I could better help you

-Michael
This was for my part for the beginning of the thread, the one above I did not import .dxf.

Michael,

My process was-
Open new part
select front plane
insert dxf
select chain and additional holes on .dxf
extrude boss to correct length

This gets me the extruded part.

I do not know how to insert the dxf to the zero point.

Thanks for your help in advance-

I have looked for thru the tutorials on youtube but could not find insert .dxf and work with it.

doug
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,412 Posts
You just need to move the sketch. Tools > Sketch Tools > Move. You'll want a point at 0,0 in your dxf to make it easy.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
yes, he is correct, move the sketch.

However, I HATE bringing in DWGs and will almost always re draw it if i can, if i am forced to use a DWG(which is faily often) i always turn it into a block, move it around, then explode the block, you can do all this by right clicking once you ahve hilighted the entire dwg while you are in the sketch. hope this helps a little

I can only recomend to try and make a bunch of different parts, play around with reltaions while sketching a get a feel for how the parametric drawing works
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
I have modeled a bunch since last post. The .dxf were imported and then the outside contour was select chain- then extrude boss. It would not let me extrude boss with the holes selected.

I had to go back and extrude cut the holes full depth which was ok because the motor mounting holes were only half depth for marking only.

Not sure this is the best way but it worked.

I was also able to set the x,y origin in the insert dialogue which made it great.

not ready to assemble yet......Thanks for everyones help.
doug
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
Next project help

The next project, maybe someone can give me guidance on the best way to approach this.

Orion DLG Tails I will cut on my router in February- we have some time.

If I need to cut a mold, Would I model the positive and subtract it from a cavity or do i build it as a negative?

doug
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,521 Posts
Doug this is very tricky modeling to perform correctly. I had to perform surface modeling on the part itself and that prevented me from performing a cavity subtraction. I may try to do the modeling inversely, I.e model the upper and lower surfaces onto each mold half and do a slice. Truth is I haven't spent enough time with my models to say how to do this correctly.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
Sam, I know alibre has a boolean extract feature for molds and such. Just wondering which would be the best way to go about this from the pros, It could help everyone.

the horizontal should be easier then the vertical so I guess I will try to start that first.

I think that the horizontal can be split at the midline top view, build one half from the airfoils I plan on using, then mirror.

doug
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:48 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,445 Posts
Your parts are in a format my software will not open. So I'm not certain of the shape. What I do is make the part like it really exists. That way I have it for other uses. Then I make a block for the mold. the top surface is the parting plane for the molded piece. Then I use a boolean subtraction to make the negative. If the top surface of the part is different then I'll mirror the block to cut the top half. This is an example of an injection mold I was making.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob