SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:48 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Wing washout question

Just how much washout is too much? I've just finished completely recovering my Zagi 400x, and I only noticed after I put the winglets on that my trailing edge wing tips are about .75"-1" up from level at the root. It seems quite dramatic when viewed from underneath, but my LE is straight and the washout is consistant on both wings.

I tried to put a little bit in as I've heard this helps alleviate tip stalls and helps with low-speed flight but I think I may have overdone it.

Re-maiden tomorrow hopefully. I'll post the results as I get them.

Thanks,
-Mike
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:33 AM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
You should be OK, a little too much washout usually isn't a problem.....a little washin..
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:54 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Ok, lemme preface this by saying, HOLY CRAP!

Old Zagi: Chevy Cavalier. Toss it up, nice and easy, 45% climb-out (Cobalt 4013), very stable, easy slow rolls and loops with minimal throws. Easy acro, split-S, 8's, inverted flight, yadda yadda. VERY stable. Nice glide, would slow right down, and a light tendency to flap at higher-speed level flight (forget about dives).

New Zagi: This thing is a PORCHE! Took three tries to get her up stable so I could trim her out. Reason: 1/3 larger control surfaces (used some spare Raider Slope elevons), still set to minimum throws. Rock solid with added spar about 2.5 inches behind the stock one and all the way out to the EPP LE. Ok, so now she's up and stable-ish. Very twitchy, nothing at all like the 'old' Zag. Once I got used to it, she is VERY acro, rolls about 2 per second vice maybe one if you were lucky on the 'old' Zag. Loops very tight, in about 8' of airspace. THIS THING IS A ROCKET! Almost lost control of her over a highway, oops but I was able to wrestle her back (I was at a really large baseball diamond and field), kept her a good 4-5 mistakes high for the duration of the flight otherwise. Ok, now to test for flap. Straight and level, WOT, no flap. 45% down, WOT, no flap. Estimate speed at 50-60MPH. Nice WOOSH sound wth throttle off as she glides past.

My hands were downright wet on the Tx after a magnificent landing right in front of my g/f and her parents. This is the first time they have seem me fly this beast, what a way to maiden. The battery and motor were too hot to touch which leads me to believe I need more cooling vents in the canopy. (It's a little tighter in the battery bay now after my refurb.) Flight time was at least 10 minutes on the stock Zagi 1700 mAH NiCad pack.

Whew, sorry for all of that, I just had to get it off my chest. This thing is a whole new plane, and I'm itching to show it off some more and learn how to drive her all over again. I'd like to see how high I can get her after a power-off dive and climb-out. I was planning on making a camera bay for her but she came out at 28.5 oz AUW after the refurb (extra spar and epoxy I'm guessing. I should have used the micro-beads but I didn't have any and I wanted to get done last night). She looks superb with one red sheet of Econokote on the bottom and two yellow sheets on top (one for each wing) with black package tape for trim. I also used cut-down WW winglets with about an inch of droop.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated, except this: Please don't preach to me about my tumble over the freeway, I've been flying wings since June and know all about how much bad juju that is. We all make mistakes, and like I said, I was 4-5 mistakes high and was able to recover.

Thanks,
-Mike
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:46 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikey C.
Ok, lemme preface this by saying, HOLY CRAP!

My hands were downright wet on the Tx after a magnificent landing right in front of my g/f and her parents. This is the first time they have seem me fly this beast, what a way to maiden.

-Mike
That's the only mistake I could see...maidening infront of the significant other and her parents

Sounds like you've got a really cool ride otherwise....watch that heat, it could cost you in time
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf