HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
Discussion
Dumb question ... Maybe?

G'day all,
This may seem a dumb question to ask, but the new 7ch Orange Rxs' servo ports are now given channel numbers 1 thru 7 after the Bind port, rather than what the 6ch version's port labelling apparently has ... i.e. - Bind, Thro , Ail, Elev, Rudd, Gear, and Aux1.
Can I assume that it would be the same? ... But with the 7ch Rx having an Aux2 port added.
Why this was changed it from what appears to be normal port labeling ipractice. at least by Spektrum and on the 6ch Orange clone, beats me!
Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Yes & dunno!

LBD,
I have a 7ch and a 6ch in front of me and you are right-ish:
The 7 has 1,2,3 etc with Bind/SBus on the right - corresponds to Throt, Ail, etc in same order - negative on top, signal on bottom (if top is label side).
The 6 has batt/bind, throt, ail etc, with signal on top.
Both work, but watch your toes with the plug-in order and direction.
Dunno.
PeteM
Petem is online now Find More Posts by Petem
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
Thanks Pete,
I was just going to amend my post to correct that error, you beat me to it, mate. The Bind Port is after all the others.
Also thanks for the tip about the polarity ... No continuity or similarity of fitment between the two Rxs or genuine Spektrum Rxs either, except they're all compatible with my DX7S Tx. Can't complain about the price though, as long as they're reliable.
Daffy.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
G'day all,
This may seem a dumb question to ask, but the new 7ch Orange Rxs' servo ports are now given channel numbers 1 thru 7 after the Bind port, rather than what the 6ch version's port labelling apparently has ... i.e. - Bind, Thro , Ail, Elev, Rudd, Gear, and Aux1.
Can I assume that it would be the same? ... But with the 7ch Rx having an Aux2 port added.
Why this was changed it from what appears to be normal port labeling ipractice. at least by Spektrum and on the 6ch Orange clone, beats me!
Daffy.
It's a very sensible move by Orange.

Numbering is a much better way to do it than Thr, Ail, Ele, Rud, etc. as the functions change with different programming setups. In the days when everyone just used the standard four channels, it was convenient to label with functions, but now, when dual ailerons, elevons, etc. are commonly used, numbering makes everything clearer.

By the way, the receiver does not determine what each channel is for, that's done at the transmitter.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
OK . I'll buy that argument ... But would prefer some commonality with Spektrum based Rxs, including what has been pointed out, the polarity at the servo ports, which could cause connection problems ... Just my thoughts.
Daffy
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
I'd settle for clear labeling. The polarity of the pins is determined by the design of the circuit board.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
But generally (at least) speaking, they put the red (positive/hot) wire on the center pin so if inserted backwards, you won't burn it up - the servo just won't work; no ground. In which case, just flip it around, should be good to go.

That's one commonality at least - perhaps the most important in the end. Maybe not universally, but AFAIK.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
But generally (at least) speaking, they put the red (positive/hot) wire on the center pin so if inserted backwards, you won't burn it up - the servo just won't work; no ground. In which case, just flip it around, should be good to go.

That's one commonality at least - perhaps the most important in the end. Maybe not universally, but AFAIK.
All regular modern servos (since about 20 years ago) are set up this way and as you point out, it's a big safety precaution. The exception is the submicro ones that use various small connectors with the wires that may be arranged differently.

The only polarity accidents we hear about regularly involve people installing a non-standard battery in a transmitter the wrong way round.

One very confusing thing is that plugging the power into the receiver the wrong way round may cause the light to come on, making you think it's correct.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
I'll ask another, also possibly dumb too, but the Orange Rx doesn't come with a manual, so there's no positive info as to whether the Rx can be used successfully without a satellite for an e-sailplane. Is the 7ch Orange full range and OK without a satellite?
Daffy.
P.S. Is there a manual available anywhere?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:01 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,301 Posts
Quote:
I'll ask another, also possibly dumb too, but the Orange Rx doesn't come with a manual, so there's no positive info as to whether the Rx can be used successfully without a satellite for an e-sailplane. Is the 7ch Orange full range and OK without a satellite?
Daffy.
manual is in the files tab on the hobbyking website

"Approved for use by the MAAA in Australia as a full range receiver when used in conjunction with the OrangeRX R100 Satellite Receiver."
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
Quote:
Daffy.
A manual is not going to help on that except that it might say adding a satellite increases the reliability of the radio link. But we already know that.

What I can say is that while many people report using Orange receivers without satellites for gliders (mostly the 6 channel) with good results, I would not do it. I would always use the satellite for any model to be flown at medium to long range.

The satellite does not directly increase the theoretical maximum range (both main and satellite receivers should have roughly similar range) but it does improve the reliability of the signal within that range, which is really what counts.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,301 Posts
my quote above is from the hobbyking online manual in the files tab

as the op is (like me) in oz, then the maaa assessment is as useful as we can get - they approve it as full range with the satellite, so better to go full belt and braces if you want to have the best of both worlds

that said, i fly my 2 channel thermal soarer with a 7 channel orangeRx and no satellite, and it does okay, but i haven't latched on to a boomer yet
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
Thanks for those two ... well three posts actually. It's what I thought would be the case ... always assuming there's room in a smaller 2m e-sailplane's narrow, and space limited fuselage, where it's difficult to achieve the 90deg aerial difference. I liked tthat belt and braces analogy though, it was a good one.
Appreciate your replies.
Daffy.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:05 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
The Orange satellites are really tiny.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Aug 2001
722 Posts
You're telling me! ... should find no trouble finding somewhere to stow it ... and I have a feeling that I don't really need to worry about its tiny aerial's orientation in relation to the main Rx either!
Daffy.