HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay76 View Post
HEY Pete! Post some updated photos and/or videos to the salty thread!

Now I need to locate the german equivalent of thin finishing resin.
I'm going to the pond next weekend, will take video of Salty on the water and post.
Do you have Zap CA available there? The Z-poxy finishing resin is made by the same company, Pacer Technology:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap-brand-products

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Wood Sealer

See if you can find something like this...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=1268

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=1269

Comes in two different versions depending on what temperature range you're working in.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
I can't find it over here, but the descriptions and reviews sound like its pre-thinned with some solvent, so maybe I can just improvise my own with west systems + acetone. I worked out a swab on a stick to mop it around in hard to reach areas, hopefully that will do it!

I'm also thinking about pre-treating the balsa sub planking before cutting it into strips, that will make the finished sealing much easier
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
We use G4 from VOSS chemie to preserve the frame and inside of the hull. This stuff impregnates in the wood. http://www.vosschemie-benelux.com/nl...ducts/cat/16/7
Henk Goosen is offline Find More Posts by Henk Goosen
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Hey THANKS Henk! Do you build runabouts? I have the impression woody speedboats aren't very popular in EU, I have a hard time locating materials and fittings. If you have a short list of dealers, please post them!

BTW I'm in Eindhoven every couple of weeks, are there any hobby shops in the vicinity I should visit?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
No I`m not in runabouts. I build a Springer tug and now I am builsing a steam engine. After the engine I would like to build a boiler and when it works fine then I will build a Launch.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
Sorry didn`t answer your question on the hobby shop, there is a hobby shop in Waalwijk.
Hobby-In but they have airplane stuff. I live more in the middle of the country. The shop in Waalwijk sells G4.
Henk.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
I have a Springer too it was my first boat and still my favorite. Steam is fascinating but I have neither the money to buy or the skills to build a powerplant. A steam powered Springer would be great though! Thanks for the shop in waalwijk, I'll try to make it over there on my next visit, I usually fly into duesseldorf and drive to eindhoven.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
I don`t have the money to buy a steam plant, but as a clockmaker I have a lathe and started building a Wobbler steam engine. The cost of materials is peanuts.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:37 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Quick update, I've been too tied up with work in the last few weeks to accomplish much, but there has been some progress. I ordered and received the mahogany planking, a graupner razor plane, and 9mm wide brass piano hinges for the motor hatch. I also fitted all the stringers and sealed the framework with a spray coat of Brillux 545 deep penetrating primer, this is an indoor/outdoor grade water-proofing acrylic in a solvent carrier. I tinted it lightly with some wood stain so I could see the buildup, and a few minutes after spraying it was already soaked in. when the balsa sub-planking is completed ill spray it again inside and out to protect it from moisture, then paint the inside of the hull as a final sealing. I haven't decided on the color for the interior yet. The shaft and stuffing tube just arrived today so I can test fit it and get started on the planking this weekend. I still need to locate a black material for the caulk lines. I saw another thread where the builder used shims between planks to leave even gaps, then squeegied in some black filler of some sort. I think I like that route, as it will fill in the small gaps between planks.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:42 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
almost forgot, I have been fooling around with making my own plating setup; so far I successfully plated some samples of the zinc allow with copper. I bought some citric acid crystals from a turkish grocery store and used 1,5V to dissolve 2 copper electrodes into the acid solution. It turned a nice aqua color after a few hours, then I replaced the negative electrode with my metal sample, and reduced the voltage to 1V, after 2 hours it had a nice copper coating but quite thin. Next step is to make a nickel solution, but i need to find a source of pure nickel and hope that citric acid will dissolve it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
What are the coins made of there, are any nickel?

Pete
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
There are no all silver EU coins, all of them are copper or a brass color. I think I'll just have to fork out TEN EUROS for a pair of small nickel electrodes from Conrad. Highway robbery in my opinion. I might have some US coins knocking around in a drawer, which ones are all nickel?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:04 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
The 5 cent piece, commonly called a "nickel". Try and find an old one.

Pete
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
how old? ill be back home in chicago for christmas, ill be sure to round up a handful of appropriately aged 'nickels' when i get there.