SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:57 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Things go pear shaped, anybody want to hazard a guess what happens next?
Whoa Mike,what happened? Broken towline? Dead battery?
Did the wing rod bust out of the wing? Or did it flip over & snap off the elev. ?
Was this your Nimbus or a kit?
Skies
Jay
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts

Err... did the glider turn into a pear? I have never seen that before. We need photographic proof of that one Mike.

Sorry Mike, I think I know how you feel. I've cartwheeled my fair share and I'd be amazed if your boom is still in one piece just in front of the fin, plus more cracks in the fuz in front of and behind the wing roots. I think getting straight back into the workshop is probably a good move. I normally mope around for a month or two after a whoops until I build up enthusiasm for a repair.

Good luck if you decide to fix it.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:39 AM
Hunting for Goat Lifters
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Ah bugger Mike. I cringe to think what the aftermath of that pic would look like. Hope it's not too bad. Very unfortunate. I know you we're looking forward to the day and getting some time behind the sticks.

What about the DG? Did you not get the new motor in time? Thought you were gonna fly that?

On a positive note, great work on the JS1 there. I'm sitting eagerly waiting to see what's in the black bag

Cheers
T
Titus ZA is offline Find More Posts by Titus ZA
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 AM
Thermaholic Homoslopian
Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa
Joined Jan 2004
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegbogh View Post
Hi Mike

It couldn't have ended pretty The picture isn't clear but it seems the tug escaped any damage. Bet the repair will be dealt with your usual speed

I went to Warthogs on Saturday. Aerotowed for the first time. Must admit I had the shakes with the first launch but it turned out to be much easier than I expected. The weather was a bit iffy but I at least got in three launches and was surprised afterward when I downloaded the Altis data and saw that my last and highest launch was 520m!! No thermals about so longest flight was just over 8 minutes. Ended with an unintended low level slooowww roll downwind Only noticed afterward I still had dual rates on the ailerons turned on....!!!

Hmmm, can I add my name to the list for a fuselage of this baby... ? Would look magnificent with a couple of these flying formation on the slope

Cheers,
Izak
fuzzchucker is offline Find More Posts by fuzzchucker
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:49 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Aerotow Nimbus epic Fail

Hi Guys,
As you can see the aerotow didnt go well, it started ok with the tug pulling off, I felt the glider had enough speed but just then I think the left wing hooked some longer grass, it ballooned up and started this big swing to the left,
I figured with a 150cc tug pulling, at some point it had to pull the nose straight again and I could save things, At the point of the photo it had not actually touched down.
It then ballooned up again swung right and flicked over inverted, but it had now gained about 20ft altitude, my mind was racing to keep up with things, I managed to level the wings inverted, but could see the tug was not exactly gaining speed , so I decided to release, which it did, it then went in at a fairly shallow angle inverted. The fuselage sustained multiple compound fractures and was declared D.O.A., the wings survived unscathed, as did the joiner, equipment ,tailplane and rudder, now being the eternal optimist I can see a plan to make a semi scale something or other with the bits , but the true JS1 is still on track, cheers
Mike

Jay this was one I scratch built as part of a group , there is a thread here somewhere, this glider has probably had somewhere between 50 and 70 flights it was becoming a bit tatty but was a workhorse and thermalled brilliantly.
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Last edited by mikegbogh; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:42 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
The mold is complete

Hi Guys,
Its time to open the mold, all that shaping, glassing, spraying polishing and molding comes down to this moment.
There can be many potential problems, the mold sticks and parts of the plug break and stay stuck, areas or patches of gelcoat have not cured, bubbles have been trapped in the gel coat, the mold has warped etc.

Having used PVA for the first time here, I was not sure things would work out.
The mold flages were all cut and sanded, first, then some bolt holes drilled through both sides, then everything was dusted clean.
I stood on the mold flanges/sides and as I moved I could see the sides releasing , next starting at the tail, I tapped in some wooden cloths peg halves which have a wedge shape, slowly working all the way around, you could hear popping and craking sounds as the part was releasing, suddenly one side popped off which is what usually happens
A quick look at the result and it is excellent, no problems at all
Slowly flexing the mold my lovely wife who was for the first time showing some interest, decided to lend a hand.
Dont worry luvy I am sure we can fix it....
Both sides are stunning , so I quickly polished them with release wax, as in my workshop there is glue, paint and resin and you want to protect those beautifull fresh mold surfaces from any contaminants
Phase one now complete, with some luck should have the first fuselage out the molds this weekend comming
regards
Mike
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hunting for Goat Lifters
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Fan-flipping-tactic Mike! Glad it worked out and that your time and effort has paid off. Looking forward to the rest and seeing the first fuse.

Cheers
T
Titus ZA is offline Find More Posts by Titus ZA
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
scratch build everything
South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Botha's Hill
Joined Aug 2009
1,219 Posts
Awesome Mike, Can't wait to see this one in the flesh.
DudleyLeRoux is offline Find More Posts by DudleyLeRoux
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,323 Posts
Nice! It's a great feeling when you open a mould and all is A1

Will you be adding any backing structure? I find it helps doubly; firstly, everything is held flat and true and secondly, the mould is doesn't rock about when one's trying to work with it.
Shedofdread is online now Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
scratch build everything
South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Botha's Hill
Joined Aug 2009
1,219 Posts
Hey Mike,

Do you wing mounts on the fuselage have the dihedral and built in already? or do you do that on the wing root?
DudleyLeRoux is offline Find More Posts by DudleyLeRoux
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyLeRoux View Post
Hey Mike,

Do you wing mounts on the fuselage have the dihedral and built in already? or do you do that on the wing root?
Hi Dudley,
Go back and check how I made the wing roots for the plug, they are level, and parallel and verticale faced ,although the JS 1 does not have huge di-hedral the wing root rib will be slighty angled to match the fuselage.
Still not sure if I am building a di-hedral joiner or trying to squeeze a few degrees with the joiner tubes.
Cheers
Mike
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegbogh View Post
Hi Dudley,
Go back and check how I made the wing roots for the plug, they are level, and parallel and verticale faced ,although the JS 1 does not have huge di-hedral the wing root rib will be slighty angled to match the fuselage.
Still not sure if I am building a di-hedral joiner or trying to squeeze a few degrees with the joiner tubes.
Cheers
Mike
Build it flat Mike then pull a really tight loop on the maiden flight. Voila. Dihedral.

Loving the fuselage build and even more excited about the wings.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Soooo...uhmmm....is it done yet?

hehee
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
Ya...where's the flight video?
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:38 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Canopy tray

Hi Guys,

Some more small steps, having made up some smaller molds I decided to make up the canopy frame.
First a fibreglass canopy is made in the mold that was originally taken of the plug, the shape which was painted left a thin edge which was picked up in the mold. Next I waxed the canopy part and layed up a strip of glass all the way around the base.
These parts were released and cut and shaped. Now working directly on the plug which has been liberally waxed again, I made up a instrument binnicle out of foam and sanded it to shape, it was attached using double sided tape to the plug.
A bit of modelling clay to contour it, I now covered the foam with some brown packaging tape and waxed it.

Starting with thin glass cloth which is placed on the shape and using a bit of pressure an exact outline can be optained, I precut 2 x carbon pieces and 2 x glass 106gr pieces for the layup. The layup was first fine glass, then carbon cloth, then the 12k carbon tows on the two sides then carbon cloth and finally glass cloth.
Next I marked and attached the small outer frame ring and painted in some flox/resin mix about halfway full, I then ran in a few strips of carbon tow and finished of with more flox mix.
This morning it all released and will now be sanded and shaped but it is a perfect fit on the fuselage and its very strong.
photos below
Cheers