HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2003, 01:07 AM
em
Underwood, WA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
197 Posts
3mm blue Depronish foam- by the roll

'got a roll of 3mm blue foam from a flooring outlet. It's a 20' or so remnant of a 50' roll used in a "high end floating floor" according to the installer I bought it from. The width is about 24" so it made a nice Frog wing, but I'm trying to get this stuff to relax so I can make some flat parts. It appears to be roughly 30% stiffer (tempered?) than meat trays I've gotten from the friendly fish monger which seems like a good thing except maybe for crash-worthiness. My search for FF in the Portland, OR area has been futile so I'm glad to have it. Its quite tough skin is integral- no film on either side. Since the Frog wing worked OK I've started a foam copy of a Curtiss Wright Jr. I scratched in timber and an Ace foam wing. I flattend it without creasing enough for small parts but fuse sides and empennage need a better technique than edge rolling.

1) Anyone got any experience with this product? (the installer had no clue-everyone else was a lunch)
2) How to flatten it? (I have 2 sq. ft. under some weighted plywood)
em is offline Find More Posts by em
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2003, 01:47 AM
Pendleton, Oregon
Joined Aug 2003
58 Posts
I would think heating it than placeing it under your plywood may work but i have not tryed it.
bobertperry is offline Find More Posts by bobertperry
Old Nov 29, 2003, 01:52 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Dose it wrinkle when you unroll it ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:03 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Have you tried rolling it in the other direction? Or give it a reverse curve and hit with hair dryer or heat gun?

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:42 AM
em
Underwood, WA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
197 Posts
Overbending on a nicely radiused edge-with the idea of acheiving flatness- resulted in some wrinkles on the convex side and some cracks. Most likely the wrinkles will become cracks after I've spent hours making parts. Hair dryer made foam which was nice and warm, but still curved- Heat gun made hot foam, slightly more limber and a really splendidly smooth surface before the fumes routed the foam technitions.
Using this material for curved sections only could be OK- lots of wings, cowls, turtle decks, etc. to be made. However, I got this 40 sq. ft. for a fiver- so for the foam-obsessed, this could great source for that one plane modelers really want- the next one.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:05 AM
ProBro 1634
Enterprise, Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
1,146 Posts
Sounds to me like a perfect candidate for all those round and oval shaped fused planes - - - hmmmmm - wheels are turning here.

Have a brand name ? As I can easily get blucor, but may not be able to get this stuff- O_o

Send me a PM em, I may be able to get you hooked up on some Blucor, I managed to get several bundles to Arizona for those guys....

Mike
MGoddard is offline Find More Posts by MGoddard
Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:02 PM
em
Underwood, WA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
197 Posts
I'm near-enough convinced that this stuff is usable so I'm gonna go back to the flooring outlet and see if it can be reasonably sourced.
After a quick inventory, I've still got plenty of vintage foamboard left over from the days of making litigation models for evil tort lawyers so I'll pass on the FF for now. Thanks, though. I think Mike Roach's Sopwith Bee in the new FSM has wedged itself in front of the already started Curtiss Jr. Might be that a guy can never have too much foam on hand.
Any more ideas on the flattening? Heat and weight helps but you have to mighty careful with the heatgun.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:40 PM
ProBro 1634
Enterprise, Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
1,146 Posts
you could try doing a wing-jig type thing where you make it flat instead of an airfoil. Bake it in the oven after squishing it between two pieces of wood. I would think it would give it more stiffness like it does to fanfold... but you are limited to the size of the oven and the jig you make there. So you would probably cut out the parts and then squish them...
MGoddard is offline Find More Posts by MGoddard
Old Nov 29, 2003, 03:29 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Unless he bought a pizza oven .. 4 feet by like 36 deep ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:11 PM
em
Underwood, WA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
197 Posts
hmmmm,...pizza
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:54 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,742 Posts
I have some experience with this foam,but I got the sheets from before they started using it on a roll. I would suggest making a form from heavy sheet metal,with bolts around the edges and spacer nuts in between.The nuts also hold the bolts in the lower half.I use a wing form made this way,and get great results. This particular foam is stil pretty tough after the baking,wheras the Zepron I've baked came out rather brittle. Bake it for about 10 to 15 mins at 200-225 degrees. I would cut and bake pieces bigger than nessary as the edges can deform while baking. It should come out with a nice finish to it.
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:33 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Any chance of using this building technique with the stuff???

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=171930

Might be easier than what the guys are doing in the above thread???
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,742 Posts
Well sort of, I dont think you could get it to bend like EPP. That stuff if a lot more flexable. This foam is basically depron. It's kind of like ZepronII,but with a better finish and its blue. At least the sheets I got have a nice finish. Have a look at this,its a plane I have built about 10 of with this and white zepron.

www.casstel.net/~lensrc/bipe.htm
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:45 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,742 Posts
Actually,now that I look at it myself,that particular one was built with peeled sturdyboard and the blue stuff.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:37 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
If it can be done with sturdy board it should be a lot easier with this rolled stuff. imo
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray