HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:38 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
The yellow rocket - my Super (dooper) PZ Decathlon BL...

I have added a flight video with selected excepts from a dusk flight demo I did for a friend. This thing is a total hoot to fly now - it is WAY more plane than stock, and a lot of performance for the size and type of plane it is. It is a plastic-covered foam material, and is reasonably strong and light. I have 600+ flights with this airframe, and two spare whole airframes to play with when this one goes. I just love this plane. I can't explain it other than it finds use in fields where some of my faster planes might be a real workout trying to land crossfield or on shorter landing spots than is generally wise to use. The Decathlon really does it for some types of flying I do...

Super Decathlon BL souped up!!! (4 min 4 sec)

Enjoy!

The plane is almost quiet except for the wind noise of the propeller as it goes zinging by!

As mentioned previously, this plane has an RCTimer 2200Kv 335W motor (50g) a direct size/weight replacement for the stock motor, which sucks. It has a 20A ESC, and I run 56g, 1200mAh 2S 25C Lipos on it. I use a Powerflow 8x6 prop on a 3.2mm collet, and Dubro spinner. It looks as great as it flies. I run around 140W WOT with the 2S setup, and limit the throttle to 80% to avoid over-taxing the 20A ESC during long WOT manoeuvers - this runs right around 18-19Ap during WOT now.

(**However: using batteries at over 20-25C discharge capabilities may exceed a 20A draw. I recently had a new 2S 1200mAh cut my ESC out during a high altitude flight, which resulted in disaster - loss of the airframe... I suggest using a 25A ESC minimum to be safe if using this power system - I checked this and found 21.6Ap using this battery - close to cutting out the ESC on a regular basis.) I have a spare airframe I have almost finished and will be running this next weekend - Sept. 29th.

It handles wind better than ever, I use 110% on the throws during aerobatic manoeuvers (95% on normal flying) and landings are superb. Too bad this plane is now discontinued by ParkZone - it is a great first plane, or intermediate high-sport/aerobatic plane, even on only 3 channel radios! It also is an excellent experimental platform for playing with - it handles changes really well.

10+ minutes of grab your butt to the chair type of flying. No it isn't a 3D (due to lack of Ailerons at this point, but I can hang it for several seconds so long as the wind does not tip me too far off vertical out of plane with the rudder. She takes off in less than 2 feet, and is about as powered as I can get the model before this thing flies apart!

I can fly sedately for about 15 mins, but 10-11 with pretty aggressive flying...

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts