SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
how kewl is that, the xmas sagitta in great hands:d built by ralph smith from visalia, he passed, i got it in a silent action from his wife, who donated it to the club, flew it a lot and sold it to dean, i am happy it's in the right hands!

Al
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:45 AM
SagittaXC
Soquel CA.
Joined Feb 2007
151 Posts
Old School!!!

Sagitta XC and Old Sailares...........
jacktrotter is offline Find More Posts by jacktrotter
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:41 AM
Hill under Mountain
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
'Kmica' full carbon construction, 1,9 m / 358 gr .. 12 gr/dm2 ...
Diogen

diogen151 is offline Find More Posts by diogen151
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:15 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Apr 2012
67 Posts
Great thread. I used to fly gas bags and this thread prompted me to make my first post. Thanks. I love looking at bent wings.
iKomet is offline Find More Posts by iKomet
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:48 AM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
gas bags? please do tell. never heard of them
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Oct 2010
303 Posts
I have two here.
Driftwood, a 2 meter, and Jawbreaker, which is a Driftwood * 2.
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:45 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,050 Posts
"Gas bags" are/were the very lightly loaded, thick-airfoiled sailplanes typical of the early '90's and before. They are noted for being able to thermal like a dandelion seed (or a helium balloon, hence the name "gasbag floater", or "gasbag"), but also having the penetration of a dandelion seed.

When Joe and I first started working on what would become our "Monarch" RCHLG (the direct ancestor of our "Chrysalis" series kits), back in 1992, our design goal was to show that you could have a model that could float as well as a "gasbag", but still range and penetrate. Most folks would agree that we succeeded. Contrary to what was the accepted "common knowledge" back then, you do not have to give up low speed performance to get good high speed performance.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
491 Posts
An Aquila XC I built years ago, still flying elsewhere. Bill Grenoble
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,330 Posts
Forty years of bent wings
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,
OK I'll throw in my best floater. This plane started out as an EZ 400 G. I then stretched the wing out an additional 2 ft. It's a flat bottom airfoil. I then got a bigger, longer C/F fuse and mounted the original tail on it. The end result, was the floatiest, slowest flying plane I have ever flown or seen fly. But, I don't see any other planes fly usually. That's because I'm the Lone Blue Plaid Flyer in Seattle. Here are some shots of it flying last month or so. This thing is so relaxing to fly, I can hardly believe it.
Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined May 2004
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm View Post
I added this 3m Scooter to my collection this year. Has REF. I was really surprised to see that this plane has legs! My "season opener" saw close to 30 minutes on the my last flight of the day.
Like that Micropro radio!
Nice to see good radios still in service!

I have one myself, best radio I have ever owned!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Here's a couple of mine. A modified Sig Riser 100,that I built a Pod and Boom for and stretched the wing to 112". It is a real Gasbag.

And of course my Oly III. I love it. I have a couple more,but these are my two favorites.

On the building board will be my modified Mirage 5 panel wing.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:02 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,372 Posts
Viking - Maiden report

Greetings all;
So the rain gods were kind to me today allowing me to get a few flights in on my Viking. Weather was not the best for the first time out but not enough to keep me on the ground. Skies were overcast and winds were out of the west, south west at around 5 mph with gusts up to 10-15 mph. First hand toss I found the CG was close enough. Second hand toss I saw a nice shallow decent, straight as an arrow. Time to launch this bird!!!!

I stretch out the hi-start and up it goes. I needed very little rudder stick since I was a bit cross-wind. First flight was to dial in the ship. I found I needed a very little up-elevator and all was well.

Second launch was better than the first. This time I tried a shallow dive to see the reaction of the ship. I was exactly on the designated CG as per plans, 3.5" back from the leading edge. One thing I notice right a way was it is easy to over speed this plane, causing the wings to flutter. Not good! I was lucky that things held together and there was no damage done.

Third flight I had added about 3/4 oz to the tail boom bringing the CG back about 3/8" back or so. I had a much better responding ship and was able to hook some lift. Nothing great with the lift. I was more focused on dialing in the ship as well as understanding how it responds.

The remainder of the day was to learn all I could with the ship. My findings;

1) This is by far a light air ship. The flat bottom airfoil on the MK I series is really not cut out for high performance.
2) I can have a lot of fun with this plane even off a hi-start. I can see myself getting many hours of relaxing flying.
3) My overall impression on a scale from 1-10 is about a 7. I really wish I had the MK II wing/airfoils thinking it would have better "legs" especially in a breeze.
4) It is a keeper. I just love the way it looks in the air. The color scheme works great against white, grey or blue skies.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Now onto my next bent-wing project.... to finish my 2m Miles
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo6796 View Post
Houston Hawk, Number2.

My very first build with the help of designer Jack Womack in 2003. It's still flying. This was a club project back then, and we even molded the fuselages under the direction of Don Cleveland, who had the Condor fuselage mold.

AJ
Love the plane! And that name, Womack, catches my ear.. there is an older amazing fella that flys at our little field with the last name Womack.. Francis is his first name.. he's a doctor AF divinity.. I wonder if there is any connection.. I think he has a house in Florida and some here.. hmm

Sorry bout the OT! Just thought that was interesting

Seth
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Look for posts by shrederman. That's Jack.

And a pic of his prototype, the first Houston Hawk.

this was November, 2003.

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796