HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Pic of my refurbished OLY III with tip markings...Houston Hawk on the board...
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, WI, Mt Pleasant
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
Pic of my refurbished OLY III with tip markings...Houston Hawk on the board...
Nice. Looks like a full flying stab. How do you like it?
I have an Oly III on order and am thinking about going that route. Would make transport easier.

If you don't mind my asking, refurbished from what?
Niko03 is offline Find More Posts by Niko03
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:41 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hey Forest, I like the color scheme you've got there, she looks nice and visible from underneath as well. I've got an OLY II SX in progress at the moment and am almost at the point of needing to consider color schemes. Yours gives me some ideas! I do like the look of Mr. Smith's clean white version too!

Paso is such a great place and I get down there every now and then. Someday I might have to bring some sailplanes along!?

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:49 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Thanks Rob. I'm pretty happy with the cover job myself. Not bad for only my third time.

Let me know when you come down and we will get some flying in for sure!

Forest
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:58 AM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Thanks Forest, sounds like a plan, and if you ever head this way please be sure to do the same. Back to the Marauder, that's one sailplane that I've often thought would be nice to have/ fun to build, and I'm glad to hear that you like it. I've often heard similar comments about it. Sounds like I may need to consider that one next, but I need to finish up the OLY first.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:39 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
My cousin is getting married in Oct. up there. Not sure I will have any time to fly, but I will bring a small motor glider just incase...

The Marauder is a nice ship for sure. I was looking for something I could build that was competitive to fly with the big guys cause I didn't have the $ for a molded ship. I have been pleased with the way it flies and it's a very stout plane as well. With some carbon on the spars it can launch almost as hard as the moldies, which is fun to hear the other guys when they see it launch! But it also is very sensitive in roll so it indicates lift very well and rolls right over in a turn. Not to mention it thermals very well too!

Forest
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,642 Posts
A Bird of Time landing from last weekend.

Bird of Time landing (0 min 28 sec)
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
My cousin is getting married in Oct. up there. Not sure I will have any time to fly, but I will bring a small motor glider just incase...
Forest
Hey Forest, sounds good, and if you can't manage to bring anything along to fly with you when you come to the wedding no worries, I've got a few things here that you can try your hand at!

Thanks also for the feedback on the Marauder... definitely need to keep that one on the "list"!

Cheers,

Rob
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Like that beautiful Chrysalis?! Just saw that in the other thread, very nice. I was thinking of picking one of those up and going e-powered with it too. What motor are you running?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Niko,

Bought it tired and used, stripped it completely, heavy sanded and poly/glassed fuse. Has two large black stripes on bottom, highly visable from below. I really like the flying stab, very easy to pack in the car. Here's what it used to look like, one in the middle:
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:40 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
A Bird of Time landing from last weekend
I respect you for not lawn darting it into the ground.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:01 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
Kurt,

How was the Miles build? I love the tail feathers on it...hemmed and hawed whether to build it...was about to pull the trigger, and it's out of stock....still trying to decide now, maybe a Chrysalis 2m, and the Houston Hawk short kit...I'll either use my OLYIII plans and build a fuse, or use the Houston Hawk Grand Poobah wood plans, that he is about to release to us, yesterday.....
Hey Mr. Smith1.... Now is your chance for a Miles kit NIB

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783231

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Kurt,

Ya, I just saw that and went "score"....and then thought about the 2m Chrysalis I just got for my wife to give me for Christmas, and the Houston Hawk Woodie on the board....Would love to grab it...but probably have to wince and pass....ouch.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
Like that beautiful Chrysalis?! Just saw that in the other thread, very nice. I was thinking of picking one of those up and going e-powered with it too. What motor are you running?
Now don't take my word for this, but I know it's an AXI motor, just can't remember exactly which one, and as it's stuffed up in the nose I can't read any labels. If memory serves, I'm pretty sure it's a 2814/20. If you like, I'd be happy to undo some screws and have a look. Suffice it to say that it's plenty of power, she climbs really nicely (fast, but not straight up), and it seems to do the trick. Anytime you want to swing by and give it a fly...

Cheers,

Rob
As for the Miles, and I'm not really offering it here, but I've got one NIB which has been sitting for a while mostly while I decide what to do with it and until I finish the Oly II. I was going to electrify it - I know, don't throw darts at me, but I was looking for something to stick a NEU 1105 motor that I have. No fear, the NEU is going in the Oly II SX, so now I'm not sure what I'll do with it, once again! I may decide that electrifying it would be too much of a crime, and as I don't have a winch available... thinking.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:30 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
Eagle RES 4 meter

Recent photo with ALES fuse. It is a giant handlaunch with the sailplane fuse.
Eagle RES 4 meter (Soaring USA). ALES equipped with ATX 761, Mega 22/30/3 and 12-6 folder on 3 cell 2250 lipo.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger