HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:03 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hey Kurt, that looks spectacular! Please tell Kathy that her taste is excellent.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
635 Posts
The Miles looks great, Kurt. I like the way the wings turned out with clear on top and opaque on the bottoms.

Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2R View Post
The Miles looks great, Kurt. I like the way the wings turned out with clear on top and opaque on the bottoms.

Allan
Allan;
Just as a point of reference, the top & bottom are covered with opaque Ultracoat. I used Insignia Blue (LE & TE), Metallic Blue (open sections of wing) and Cream. It makes for a rather interesting effect.

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Wicked looking plane Kurt, your better half has good taste.

Is that light colored rectangle piece in the center a spoiler? I didn't know you could put them there.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Wicked looking plane Kurt, your better half has good taste.

Is that light colored rectangle piece in the center a spoiler? I didn't know you could put them there.
The answer to the question about the rectangle piece is yes, it is the spoiler. Built as designed. I often questioned it myself. I've seen videos of the plane fly and it doesn't seem to effect the airflow over the stab when deployed.

I will tell Kathy you've express fondness to the Miles. It will make her smile.

Thanks for the comments.

Kurt
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
My newly converted MM Glider tech Marauder. Can float with the best of them while still having legs to move out when called for. I think it flies better with a motor and being heavier than it did as a pure glider, just my feeling. Fun none the less!
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,755 Posts
Forrest! Bring that thing to Visalia in 2013!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
You just want me to bring more beer! I'm loving this thing motorized though. Our ALES got scrubbed this week due to rain, but I'm itching to see how it does against the field. Having too much fun.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,755 Posts
No, not true!
Just bring the same amount as last time...
And the plane too. Glad you are having fun with the ALES.

See you there.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
My newly converted MM Glider tech Marauder. Can float with the best of them while still having legs to move out when called for. I think it flies better with a motor and being heavier than it did as a pure glider, just my feeling. Fun none the less!
It doesn't surprise me that you say that. I've seen a number of ships perform better with a little more wing loading.

The AVA is a good example.

Great looking Marauder!
Kurt
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:34 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
It does seem that certain ships have a sweet spot concerning weight to trim and loading. I have a friend that says the same about his AVA too, flies better with some ballast added even in calm conditions.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Forest,is that the revised Pumkin...............Looks good.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Yup, sure is Eddie! No more pumpkin colors for this one though...seems to have been bad luck. Been wanting a larger motor glider so figured what the heck. So nice to just plug it in and fly. One of these days I'm gonna get out to the valley and we will fly...I wanna see that beautiful 03 of yours, it's still flying yes?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
Yup, sure is Eddie! No more pumpkin colors for this one though...seems to have been bad luck. Been wanting a larger motor glider so figured what the heck. So nice to just plug it in and fly. One of these days I'm gonna get out to the valley and we will fly...I wanna see that beautiful 03 of yours, it's still flying yes?
I sure liked those pumpkin colors. It really showed up in the sky.

Oh yeah,the Oly III is still flying. I haven't broken it yet.

I got my Sig Riser 112" pod and boom flying again,after loosing the wing at about 500 feet. It was a classic yard dart. Stuck it's nose about 6 " into the ground. I was just about to shut the motor off on the launch when the wing poped off. The pod and boom rolled over and came straight down from about 500'. When it happened I just looked in Aw,I for got to shut the motor off It sounded like a screaming Eagle on it's way down. I think it broke the the sound barrier. Good thing it didn't hit anything. I think it would have punched a hole through the roof of a car and ended up in the seat. Don't want to do that again!

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Ouch! Shtuff happens. I think there is a reason they stopped making those lawn dart games...

The orange did show up pretty well on the great flying pumpkin, but the transparent tip panels with opposite colored top and bottom work pretty well too. Just needed to mix it up a bit.