Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm View Post
Rob;
I did not create a building log only because there was one already there. You can follow the building log from this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=mile

Just wondering what mods you were thinking of making. My build I choose to leve things along, keeping it a 2m RES.
Thanks Kurt! I'm working my way through the thread and appreciate you sending it along. I've found that all threads are worth a read - I can always learn something new!

As for mods, well, I almost hate to say this here, but as I fly only electric sailplanes or slope, and don't have access to a winch or hi-start, I was thinking of electrifying the Miles. I know, perish the thought!!

The primary reason I bought it, other than knowing that it's a great sailplane, is that I had a NEU 1105 inrunner motor spare from a Pulsar that met an unfortunate end. I thought that the Miles might be a good contender to put it in, but wasn't too keen on the idea of "disturbing" such a well-designed sailplane, so I parked the project for a while. In the interim, I've decided to put the motor into an Oly II SX that's currently underway, and it's going to be perfect in that airframe. So, I've now got a Miles with no motor, and I'm contemplating the next move. Build it as a sailplane and buy a hi-start, electrify it and find the perfect motor combo to put in it (as light as possible is the goal here), or think about it a little more!?

Years ago when I lived in Pasadena, Ca. I flew only hi-start launched sailplanes - electric stuff wasn't really an option, and am not against the idea of getting another hi-start, but, well, that's something to consider again. Finding perfect locations to set one up where I live is not always a possibility. It seems that people like planting grapes everywhere here - a good problem to have

Sorry for the long-winded response... thinking...

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
748 Posts
Here's one from 1995, Flew it thsi weekend

Designed by Vern Hunt. Excellent thermal machine. about 85" span, very light and strong.
Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
That looks quite wonderful! but I have to wonder if it has a lower ceiling of visibility than a more conventional thermaler.

Anyways, who wouldn't want to have a turn on the sticks! It'd be a killer slermaler too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Poly DLG

I found a wing from Seba, the Polish builder, and put together an F3K-compliant DLG. It didn't meet my goals (for a sub-7-ounce airplane) but it has proven a delight to fly.

Launch is so-so, but cruise can be swift without much loss of height, and thermaling is very efficient. Landing on time takes finesse and practice.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Hi Greg,

You don't see too many poly wing DLG's these days, I like it. Cutting two servos and linkages out of the weight mix must have helped you on the weight diet. Just out of curiosity, what was the final flying weight?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Wayne:

The final weight (if I recall correctly) was a bit more than nine ounces. I was disappointed - I was hoping for less than seven.

I could have trimmed the boom about two inches, and the wing was replaced with another from Seba, this one in kevlar and disser - it's noticeably heavier (lots of extra darts) and that's what I think is most of the extra two ounces. If the weather gets bad this winter, I may just take it apart and trim the boom.

The fuselage is from Wyowindworks, and I can't say enough good things about its quality and stiffness. Too bad they are no longer available.

It's just plain fun to fly. I still use modes (Launch, cruise and thermal) which translate to "fast", "not-so-fast" and "slow". I also use about half rudder as part of the launch preset.

In cruise, it is impressive in the ground it can cover at speed, with minimal height loss. I can reach pretty much anywhere I can reach with my other DLGs. Launch is about 80% of what I get from a Legend or Blaster. In thermal, I just hold a bit of rudder and it goes round and round. If I need a tighter circle, a click or two of nose-up, and that's it. A looser circle, and a click or two of nose down.

Precision landings without flaps is a pretty piece of work. Instead of approaching at 20 seconds remaining, I start at thirty seconds. It is impressive what moving between cruise and thermal will do to the glide slope. Another technique is to execute s-turns on final. Even so, it is a good thing the wing is bagged, as catching the thing sometimes results in mutual injury.

The poly joints needed attention to withstand a discus launch. I am right-handed, and reinforced the left poly joint of the original wing with 1/16 hard plywood as a vertical spar, and a bit of uni-carbon cloth across the top of the joint. I cut the cloth to look some sort of insignia. For the poly joint on the kevlar wing, I inserted a spar of carbon sheet, and that has stood the test of full-bore launching. I also acquired one of Seba's T-shaped blades, and like it very, very much (thanks, Seba).

I don't compete with it, but it is not for sale.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
aku
Jeff Cheechov
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Mar 2006
297 Posts
Poly DLG

Glidermang... I'd considered building the same, a light, relaxed flying poly DLG some time ago. I posted for a used wing or similar, and had no response. I was a-studying your photos untilI was sidetracked by... the Glenfiddich tin! Oh, I'm gone looking for a wee dram now... See what you've done!
Jeff
aku is offline Find More Posts by aku
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stobel V2 DLG
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
My best floater and favorite model, is my electric powered Mirage.

All up weight in ALES contest mode is 33.1 ounces for a wing loading of about 5.2 oz/ft.
MrE that is a beautiful ship indeed! Even with the twirly bit on the schnoz.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Jeff:

I understand. That Glennfiddich is wonderful stuff - even my Mother-in-Law will drink it!

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Jeff:

If you're interested, contact ak79 by PM. He is Seba's US sales rep, and can either arrange a wing for you or put you in touch. Seba's wing for me is a unique airfoil, generalized for use without camber-changing. Seba himself is friendly and easy to deal with. He lives in Poland, so sending stuff takes a bit more time.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
aku
Jeff Cheechov
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Mar 2006
297 Posts
Poly

Thanks for the info Glidermang. I have seen Seba's products posted here for sale in the classifieds. The design & quality looks very nice. Cheers!
Jeff
aku is offline Find More Posts by aku
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stobel V2 DLG
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,397 Posts
2 Meter Miles - New bent wing beauty...

Tonight I finally finished covering my 2 Meter Miles. Kathy came up with the rather involved color scheme. Next final assembly and radio installation.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Last edited by kzimmerm; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added additional pictures.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:04 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,875 Posts
Very nice!

R,
Target
Post the other picture too!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:04 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,948 Posts
Nice!
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:24 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,397 Posts
My iPad and RCG doesn't work too well with uploading pictures. I'll post more tomorrow.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm