HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Would you like a "new" son to come live with you? I'm up for adoption if you are I think the sand color is a good choice. It's not to dark so it will reflect light to make the work space brighter and it should be fairly easy to see small items dropped on the floor, provided you can keep the floor swept.... Unlike my work shop

That new workshop is looking might sweet

Ken
Keeping the workshop swept, that is a lol in my book. At least at my place I have found that if I clean my shop I loose more stuff and more things go wrong. I think a controlled chaos works best for me.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:58 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,299 Posts
"Keeping the workshop swept, that is a lol in my book. At least at my place I have found that if I clean my shop I loose more stuff and more things go wrong. I think a controlled chaos works best for me. "

+1 on that!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:13 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
First epoxy coat down!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359238387.974910.jpg
Views: 176
Size: 60.6 KB
Description:
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:11 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
Final coat. Guys had to add a third coat in here because they accidentally put the texture on it. Glad they did three since the slab was quite rough to begin with. 3 days to dry before I can install my shelves, plywood flooring in attic, and moving in some kits!!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359501077.160585.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 69.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359501092.780985.jpg
Views: 167
Size: 107.7 KB
Description:
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:10 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
The Exodus Begins!!

I'm at a loss of words on how to explain my emotional status during this new home building project. There are tons of thoughts and ramblings in my head that I'd love to just type and type and type in this thread...but it would probably bore the heck out of you. So...I'll get to the point.

The house is ours. The workshop has an epoxy floor with white semi-gloss walls. I'm still up in the air about the counters, cabinets, and workbench. I'm leaning towards the IKEA cabinets/counters with the Nexus Birch Veneer facings (clean).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...73/#/S29869311

I'm also considering this kitchen workbench IKEA has. I love the idea of drawers to store stuff. I've seen it up close. Sturdy and heavy. Thoughts?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14631607/

I've made two trips to the new hobby room and below is what I have to show for. The second photo shows all the items I still have to move!! Stress is creeping up my spine.

More to come fellas. Stay tuned!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:55 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Rather than plush furniture you might give thought to something more functional, to start, like a real, solid workbench with heavy duty rollaway-type drawers.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,299 Posts
Not enough airplanes!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:08 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Looking at the Ikea links, the big consideration I have is that the cabinets have empty space underneath, which means an area that only serves to collect dust and small parts you drop on the floor.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:17 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
Yar, consider checking out the local used building supply outlets for some used kitchen cabinets for at least part of the area.

One thing I've learned over the years is that there's NEVER enough storage space. A close second for annoying things to not enough space is that open shelves soon get messy and VERY dusty. My new shop digs will have doors on all cabinets and NO open storage other than the lumber and metal storage racks.

Do you do CAD at all? Some time spent pondering how to put your working areas and storage areas in a CAD program would be time well spent.

One hint. Copy and paste if you want to change something. Because if you find you went up a dead end and you changed the original sketch it's tough to go back. On the other hand if you have 28 variations all on the one CAD file you can pick the best from all the decent ones and put the ideas together in one last rendition.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:04 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
We are officially out of the old house and ALL of my RC gear is either in the new workshop or scattered somewhere in the garage. As you can see, I still have not made a decision on the counters, cabinets, or workbench. I have other priorities right now that push my workshop completion date further and further back.

One of the most interesting problems I've encountered is my new epoxy floor. I masked the work areas with blue painters tape several weeks ago. When I tried to remove it, the tape was "stuck" to the floor. It is very difficult to remove and, even once the blue tape is scrapped off, the glue residue stays behind. After trying several glue removal liquids without success, I contacted the vendor who installed it. He came out with a specialty liquid that also didn't work...and then proceeded to try gasoline which discolored the floor. He's stumped as well. Unless we can find another solution, he said he'd come back and repaint the entire floor....again. I'm glad he was offering to do that but you can see how crazy it will be to remove all of my gear. Not to mention I have to find a place to store it for 2 days.

Off to do some shopping today. May look again at Lowe's and Home Depot for the ready-made, unfinished cabinets.

-Lee
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,299 Posts
Told ya so....you need a BIGGER workshop
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:04 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
At least you have the important thing....... The Fridge for a refreshment or two. That's really odd you can't get the glue off. Did you try a grinding wheel?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:43 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
@Ken - You're not far off from the truth! I was going to throw in the towel and ask the guy to come back, grind down the tape, and paint over it. I'm so tired of trying to fix it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
Mitsubishi Mini-Split installed!

I purchased a Mitsubishi Mini-Split Heat Pump rated at 12,000 BTU. Model #MUZ-GE12NA / MSZ-GE12NA. Hired a Mitsubishi Diamond contractor so the unit would be covered under warranty. It is a LOT cheaper to buy one online and install it yourself...but if you run into any problems, you're out of luck.

Things were moving pretty smoothly until they opened the outdoor compressor unit. Sucker had a huge dent on the top corner. The installer called his boss right away and ran off to get a replacement. That was a relief 'cause I was afraid he was going to say: "What, this? It's just a scratch. You'll never even see it.". They returned a few hours later and finished the job.

From what I can tell so far, it's working great! Nice cool air coming through and extremely quiet. We'll see how it fairs in the upcoming rising temps down here in Cypress, Texas.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:32 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
I made a decision on the workbench. I downloaded the plans from this site:

http://woodplansnow.com/free_plan.php

This weekend project has taken 3 weekends...so far. Today, I completed assembly of the frame. The solid core door is bigger than I want so I plan to trim it down to 72" x 30". This is going to be a heavy table...and it ain't going nowhere!

Next up, I'm going to get help on setting up cabinets and counters in the shop. I'm overwhelmed with it all and need assistance. It's time to get this room done so I can get back to building, charging batteries, and ultimately FLY.

I'll post pics of the table shortly.
Last edited by YarSmythe; Mar 26, 2013 at 07:19 AM.