Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Here is the workbench I just overbuilt.
I like it. May take some ideas from this. Thanks for sharing.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,298 Posts
plane-tech, what was the top you put on it? And for your information....one can NEVER overbuild a workbench
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,171 Posts
Tail -
Its bathroom wall paneling. It has one glossy surface and one unfinished surface. The back part is listed as a hardwood, but it is similar to MDF, and it cost ~$12 for a 4x8 sheet.
I have used it in the past and like to use it a workbench top. It is very smooth so it is easy to lay out plans, squares sit flush, there are no splinters to catch on anything. Also, with it being white, it reflex a lot of light and make it easier for me to see, especially when I drop small parts.
I trim the top flush with a trim router laminate bit, then get a length of aluminum angle to secure the edges down on three sides. When the top surface gets to badly used, i remove the front trim, slide out the sheet, turn it around and reinstall. This also gives you an 1/8" lip to prevent items from rolling off the bench, as well as a very nice straight edge the entire length and depth of your top.

DPI 1/8"D x 4'W x 8'H White Hardboard Wall Panel
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:23 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
Nice and foamy

Foam inside the walls and ceiling. Drywall is being installed in the house right now. Phew...what a mess.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Nice. Will you have an evaporator or A/C?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
The plan is to install a mini-split heatpump (A/C & Heat).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,298 Posts
Don't forget to wire the ceiling for an elevated TV or at least speakers
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:41 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Don't forget to wire the ceiling for an elevated TV or at least speakers
Good point! Speaker wires at the least!

I was able to run coax into my shop. Cable TV baby!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:08 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
I stopped by the house today and discovered that the entire garage & workshop had the drywall up! I was happy at first...but now I've got two things that are troubling me:

1) My workshop has an attic door but the garage does not. I know they said they weren't going to give me two drop down doors so where is my access door for the garage attic?

2) They installed my lift doors first and bolted them to the joists and walls. When they added drywall to the ceiling, they cut holes around the brackets. Thought they would have unbolted the brackets first and then put them back in place. Again, you never know what's going to happen to your home unless you sit and watch.

Does anyone else have a finished garage ceiling with the brackets attached like mine? I think it looks pretty crappy but I'm not sure if there is a reason for this.

Heading out of town this weekend so I'll try to come back with photos next week.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:16 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
1) That will be installed after the fact..... after you get this crappy contractor out of your house! Go to Home Depot, buy the one you want, then hire a reputable handyman to come put it in for you.

2) Subs. Drywall guys aren't going to undo a garage door and then put the brackets back up. They're going to drywall everything in site if the contractor is not there to have someone else handle stuff like that. The easiest way around it (although it will nag you every time you look up there) is to pick up a small bucket of drywall mud while you're at Depot picking up your pull-down door for the garage. Mud around the brackets and sand it smooth. No one else will EVER notice how they're mounted.

Step 3 is to enjoy the heck out of that new shop!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,419 Posts
My house is done the same for the garage door stuff. The door requires some fussy settings so that's why it's mounted first then the drywall goes around the mount points. Even the 1/2 inch worth of drywall would require that the door be set up all over. Also there's the issue with finding the exact screw holes again.

If they don't fill in around the mounts just leave them. Or if it really bothers you then make up some nice fitted covers to add on over them later on.

John'sPop, I don't suggest that you or Yar' mud over the screws and brackets. SOMEONE, and likely it'll be Yar or you will hate you later one if the door needs to be switched out for some reason or eve to be adjusted a little.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I spose so Bruce.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,760 Posts
Update - 11/4/12

I took some photos of the workshop today. Here is the room with the drywall in place. It feels a little smaller now but I think it will be enough for my needs (for now). I will be interviewing a cabinet maker soon for work inside the house. I'd like to get his thoughts for the workshop & garage. I've found several cool workshop designs on the internet and need to put together all the ideas that I like.

With the attic door's location, I can't install shelves or cabinets under it. I'd like to place some small screw bins there or possibly use the space for decoration. I have a lot of posters, plaques, and my own photos I'd like to put up there. I know it's a "workshop" but I should display some aviation prints too! A large P-38 mural would be awesome!

Opinions and questions welcome.

-Lee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
286 Posts
One of these might be an option for your mobile workbench.

I got one for my dad's table saw and it's quite stable in the locked position. None of them seem to quite be workbench size as designed, but I'd imagine you could use the corner pieces at the legs without the pieces connecting them.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/mobile-bases
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq