Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr View Post
And now some QUESTIONS!!

Question #1: Do you guys use peg boards to hold your tools? If not, how do you store your tools around your workshop?

Question #2: Anyone using a dust collector in their hobby room?

Question #3: Stool or chair? With or without wheels?

Question #4: Do you use a dry erase white board?

Question #5: Anyone using a mini-split A/C unit in their workshop? Model? Opinion?

Question #6: Someone mentioned mats on the floor. Use them? Type?

And please share your workshop photos!
1- I've used pegboard in the past but in my new shop I'm going to use a sheet of plywood which I then use for screw hooks and other bracketry to hold the tools. I've had my fill of the darn hooks coming loose despite locking wires, dabs of hot glue and other "tricks". Although if someone has come up with a decent pegboard hook which stays FIRMLY in place I'll revisit this decision.

2- The new shop will have a machine room for my wood working. For model building only a ceiling style air cleaner mounted in a box shaped table made with well supported pegboard for the top and sides that draws the air down and into the box and sends out the clean stuff through an outlet would likely work well. And it's something that I'm going to try for myself since I find I'm very sensitive to balsa dust these days. Even a moderate amount of sanding and I've got a runny nose, scratchy throat and watery eyes.

3- All my work surfaces will be at a standing height. So stools are needed instead of chairs. When "seated" you still want your upper body at a standing height. NO WHEELS! ! ! ! ! Wheels on a stool are a bad fall just waiting for you. It's different with an office height chair because you're well down before you can push the chair away. But with a stool you don't really crouch to sit. More a lean back onto the seat instead. Wheels on stools are simply dangerous in the extreme.

4- The new digs will have either a chalk or white board for quick notes on supplies that have run out, tools loaned out or even just packing lists for upcoming contest or other outings.

5- Don't have or need one in the basement. But I may go with a dehumidifier for the summer to remove some of the humidity in the air which tends to be quite damp due to the coolness of the basement when the house furnace isn't running. In your case it's a fairly small area so a window or wall mounted unit placed where the airflow is good should work decently at removing the worst heat. Of course GOOD insulation in the attic is a must to keep the heat out. Speaking of which I see that you went with black roof shingles. With all the sun and heat you get in Texas during the year I would have thought that a light colour for roof shingles would be a LOT cooler. Even up this way the tan colour shingles on my old house were far more cool to touch in the summer sun than the black ones that came with my present house. And that's heat that simply extends down into the attic. Not to mention degrading the shingles sooner.

6- Soft spongy NON POUROUS matts aid in avoiding foot and leg fatigue when standing for longer periods. The non pourous idea is to suggest that egg crate or carpet like matts should be avoided. You want to use the style which are easy to sweep or vacuum clean. And they should have a good grip against the flooring to avoid sliding.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
...the idiot electrician ran every other outlet in the garage to the same breaker! 15 outlets on one breaker...
I had a talk with my salesman (another idiot) before I left and told him I wanted my workshop outlets tied into one 15A breaker and the rest of the outlets in the garage into something else...
Our house is an "Energy Star" home that uses foam spray insulation in the attic and exterior walls. I told them I wanted it for my workshop. They said their records showed only "regular insulation" for the garage...
I am unclear on the reason why you seem to have such little control over this project and why there appears to be a communication problem between you and the contractor.

One 15 amp breaker for all the shop outlets is very poor planning.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
I am unclear on the reason why you seem to have such little control over this project...
Me too.

I received (and paid for) every outlet I wanted and each was placed in the proper location in the workshop. However, I didn't think I'd have to explain to the builder or electrician "how" to wire it properly. THAT is the big issue here. I'm going to be at that house every day and check that wiring to see it get fixed. If I see guys coming in with drywall and it's still wired wrong, you can bet the cash in your pocket I'll be rewiring that myself.

The foam insulation is a real communication issue. After I requested it, they suggested I skip the foam spray and go with regular fiberglass insulation. Their engineer said that unless the room was to be air conditioned 24/7, the foam creates too much of a tight air space and increases the chances for mold. At that time, the engineer and builder didn't realize that this space was going to have a mini-split heat pump unit installed maintaining temperatures in there (thus, running frequently). At that point I told them to keep the foam insulation...and that's where they dropped the ball.

I find myself complaining about a lot of things lately (not just this home construction) but I realize that posting my problems in this thread may help those looking to build something in the future. There are problems in building a new home that I never considered which have made me work a lot harder to keep my eye on everything little thing. If I wasn't bald already, the stress would have made my hair fall out by now.

Looking to the day I can re-read this thread in about a year and watch the progression from slab to serenity. (Pssst....the next workshop will be THREE TIMES BIGGER!!)

Later fellas. -Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Last edited by YarSmythe; Oct 24, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Me too.

I (Pssst....the next workshop will be THREE TIMES BIGGER!!)
Living in Iowa where every farmer has a "machine shed" where they keep all their farm equipment.... Every farmer I have ever talked to wishes their machine shed was at least half again as big. I good friend of mine built a 80 X120 foot, yes that is feet, shed. He wishes it were bigger.

I'd give both testicles for 1/10 of that space for a model shop.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Update 10/22/12

Good news - Met with the builder's electrical contractor today and pointed out my concern. He agreed with my assessment and took about 2 minutes to rewire the garage so that the workshop would be separate from the rest of the garage. He also installed my 220v line for my mini-split A/C unit while I was there.

I think I heard my contractor say they were planning to spray foam the house AND GARAGE this Friday. Stay Tuned!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
That's awesome Lee, glad it's working out to YOUR plan!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:04 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,532 Posts
Given the recent comments on shop size I guess it could be considered to be gloating if I were to let it slip out that I'm working on my retirement shop renos. Between the garage where the metal working stuff is located and the basement where the wood working and model factory will be I've got 1600 sq feet of total shop area. Big enough that I've even got a corner for a "toy lounge" where the reference and plans library will be along with an L shaped sectional couch where we can haul out and sit around looking at the latest projects with a beer fridge within arm's reach....

Oh, sorry, did that just slip out from my fingers?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Given the recent comments on shop size I guess it could be considered to be gloating if I were to let it slip out that I'm working on my retirement shop renos. Between the garage where the metal working stuff is located and the basement where the wood working and model factory will be I've got 1600 sq feet of total shop area. Big enough that I've even got a corner for a "toy lounge" where the reference and plans library will be along with an L shaped sectional couch where we can haul out and sit around looking at the latest projects with a beer fridge within arm's reach....

That's great. Looking forward to that build thread. Got one going yet?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
852 Posts
I am planning on putting some pegboard up in my garage to supplement my storage. Here is something I found that you may like to read, seems he too had a problem with the hooks always coming loose so he solved that problem in his design.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...gboardrack.pdf

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:

You forgot to mention the free oriental health massage parlor next door.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,532 Posts
I've been taking pictures of the whole project as I go. But it's so long term that I'm saving the whole package until I know I'm mere weeks from the ribbon cutting ceremony.

I'll toss in this teaser picture from last January to indicate why it's taking so long.

The house has some "minor"drainage issues due to the surrounding geography so I felt it worth while to dig up the floor and add a secondary interior drainage system. This is the "open" phase before the drain pipes were installed. You're looking into the back quarter which is going to be the wood working machine room for the "dusty" stuff. The side run extending off to the left is a side run to a floor drain right by the hot water heater. I still have to build up a dam around the base of the heater to trap any water from a burst tank and conduct it away. This picture shows you about 1/4 of the floor busting and digging that was done for this part of the project.

I'm the "general contractor" for the work so I gave myself a stern talking about not making any slip shodd jobs or taking any short cuts.....
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
I'm the "general contractor" for the work so I gave myself a stern talking about not making any slip shodd jobs or taking any short cuts.....
All I can say...is make sure you get everything down in writing!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
I've got 1600 sq feet of total shop area. with a beer fridge within arm's reach....

I'm REALLY beginning to hate you

At least I won't get sore feet from having to walk from end to end of my "shop" a hundred times a night

Seriously, it sounds like you have a nice setup. Some day when I'm famous.........

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:06 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Thoughts in my head today about the shop...

- I think I'll set my counters along the wall down to desk height (30-32"). When I'm at my current table (folding table with a large piece of Homasote), I sit and do a lot of soldering and fine work. Only tiny problem with the lower counter height is that the Sam's Club mobile cart (shown above) will sit too high...and may look out of place.

- My workbench will be up around a typical kitchen counter height (34-36").

- When I design my workbench, it'll have overhangs on three sides. The side without one will allow me to push it up against the wall (flush) for more walking room. By having the lip on the others, it'll will allow me to sit next to it without bashing my knees. Also considering having one part of the workbench notched for more leg room.

- Having a tough time determining how many wall cabinets I need. I've got several screw and part bins that sit on an open shelf. I need to sit in my garage one day and start counting up all I have and where it should go.

- I already have a nice table/bench I put together years ago that will become my dedicated battery charging station. I can't put a cabinet above it (attic door) so I need to think about a peg board, white/drawing board, photos/paintings, etc.

- I was hoping I'd have room for a small couch...but that ain't gonna happen.

No work done on the house today. I'll follow up next week once the insulation is in.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:07 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,222 Posts
yarsmythejr, Here is the workbench I just overbuilt. I did it like to to be able to sit with my legs underneath and not hit anything.
Yes, it is on wheel, and no, it does not move, wobble or do anything I do not want it to. With it pushed against the wall and the wheel locked, it is as if it was bolted to the wall.

17 2x4's, 2 sheets of 3/4" hardwood ply, 5# of screws and a dozen lag bolts...

Dimensions are 36.5" high, 96" long, 36" deep on top, 24" deep for the shelf.

No, its not big enough. I want to build another one, but convincing the wife I need 2 $300 workbenches is going to be a hard sell.

Very jealous of the workshop by the way. Working in an un-air conditioned, one car garage in Florida is not conducive to extended building time.
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech