Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Build Log
My New Garage Workshop - YarSmytheJr

My New Garage Workshop - YarSmytheJr
A complete track of my new hobby room

I could go on and on about my love of this hobby, how long I've been doing it, the spaces/bedrooms I've used to build some of the crazy things I fly...but that's not what this thread is about. This is about the future.

This isn't my dream workshop...but pretty darn close. I'm getting to build this from scratch and design it the way I want. Many months went into planning and, if all goes well, it'll be a nice place to build. Looking forward to next year when it's all done and I can invite some of my fellow RC'ers over for a drink to celebrate. Maybe even build some stuff.

The Scoop:

• 3-car detached garage with a 10' extension.
  • Walling off the back 10' plus taking 8 feet out of the 3rd car space. "L" shape.
  • Foam insulation of walls and attic space for entire workshop
  • Walls painted and baseboards added
  • (4) Fluorescent workshop lights
  • Builder is leveling the workshop foundation (typically graded in a garage)
  • Bathroom and utility sink in corner, near back door
  • Epoxy floor (without flakes) in workshop area
  • (2) 3x3' windows
  • (2) 20A dedicated 110v outlets (for compressor, fridge, battery charging table)
  • (16) 110v outlets in garage & workshop
  • 220v 20A exterior outlet for A/C unit
  • Mini-Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner
  • Hopefully enough room for all my stuff, tables, tools, etc.
*** Updates after initial post ***
  • ADT monitored heat detector above battery charging station
  • Large, moveable workbench with dust collector underneath
  • Upgraded all doors to 36" wide. 9/26/2012
  • Corrected wiring in garage to isolate workshop outlets on dedicated breaker. 10/22/2012

I'll add more information to this post if necessary. For now, let's get some photos and drawings uploaded. Please add questions, concerns, or feedback.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jul 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updates
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,361 Posts
Looks good to me! I'd just add MORE windows....to really 'see' balsa woods real dents, waves, etc. you need natural light..and build a work table that you can walk around not nailed to the wall! More pics as time goes on????
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
448 Posts
Can I just say two words. Bigger door. Very similar to my garage toy room and that's the first thing I did was take out the barbie door and put a big door in to get big toys in and out. But I work on wood and metal etc. Can't have big enough door imo
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Thanks fellas. Your comments are very helpful...not just for me, but for the other readers who might be researching ideas for their new workshop.

On my "Funder & Lightning" thread, a pilot shared his concerns about LiPo safety. To address those issues, I responded with the following comments:

1 - Detached garage. "IF" I have another fire, the garage is separate from the house so that my family is safe.

2 - Air conditioned room. My current garage is a hell hole. Temps reach over 100 degrees during the summer. I've lost 3-4 batteries from puffing this year. The new space is air conditioned and should help resolve this problem

3 - New charger. I have four LiPo chargers (2 Astros 109s) that work great but do NOT offer a "STORE LIPO" option. I purchased a new Turnigy charger last week to focus on storing my LiPos at a safe voltage. I only wish someone would invent a hand-held, inexpensive device that you could plug into your taps to do this automatically (no 12v source or AC plug).

4 - Refrigerator. For very long term storage, I have a refrigerator in the workshop. Not sure if this is the best option but I've read several threads on the subject that it is highly recommended.

5 - Dedicated charging table and outlet. The batteries and chargers will all be on one table. No tools or other accessories to clutter it. Also, I'm installing a dedicated 20A outlet right above it.

6 - Tile, Pyrex, and no storage above. I use tile surfaces on my charging table, Pyrex dishes to place my batteries in while charging, and will NOT have anything above the table that could catch fire. I currently do not use LiPo charging bags but may look into those shortly.

6 - SECURITY MONITORED HEAT DETECTOR. For what I can't have in a separate, fireproof charging "ROOM", I'm installing an ADT monitored heat detector directly over the table. If there is a fire, not only will the house alarm go off but the fire department will be called immediately.

-Lee
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Can I just say two words. Bigger door. Very similar to my garage toy room and that's the first thing I did was take out the barbie door and put a big door in to get big toys in and out. But I work on wood and metal etc. Can't have big enough door imo
Great idea. I'll toss it at the construction supervisor but will probably have to make do with the standard door for now. I'll mark this down for my NEXT workshop!

I like that I have TWO doors in my work shop, one of which provides a way to bring long objects in without turning corners. I also have the ability to use the car garage space if I'm working on big projects (cars can park in the driveway).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Looks good to me! I'd just add MORE windows....to really 'see' balsa woods real dents, waves, etc. you need natural light..and build a work table that you can walk around not nailed to the wall! More pics as time goes on????
The best I could do was (2). They wanted to install LARGE windows but that took away counter and cabinet space. With two windows and four overhead lights (not to mention all the work lamps I have), I should be good to go.

Also, I do have a door that goes directly outside so there is that option to bring in more light and ventilation.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
My first rough draft

I drew this months ago but little has changed since. I'm still tinkering with counter and cabinet space locations.

One favorite item is my large, rolling (portable) build table. It'll let me slide it out of the way to one wall to get around to the planes in the corner. It's going to be awesome! I found a great design on a wood working site where the builder installed a dust collector UNDER the table. It is a boxed in air handler with two (2) air filters on each side. What an awesome idea! The fact that I can move the table around will also allow me to move the dust collector to a spot where I can do some wood working, sanding, etc. and have it close by. I'll upload some drawings of that shortly.

Anyway, here it is. We'll see how much I stick to this plan in the final version.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Question: How high are your tables/counters/work benches?

I'm only 5' 5" and do most of my building sitting down. My custom tables in the garage are all 30" (desk and folding table height) and they work well for me. I have a few stands that are higher for my drill press and scroll saw but that's it.

Many seem to go with standard kitchen counter height of 36" and I've yet to see counter or work bench come in 30". Your thoughts?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:09 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr View Post
Great idea. I'll toss it at the construction supervisor but will probably have to make do with the standard door for now. I'll mark this down for my NEXT workshop!

I like that I have TWO doors in my work shop, one of which provides a way to bring long objects in without turning corners. I also have the ability to use the car garage space if I'm working on big projects (cars can park in the driveway).
A bigger door is a must!. Don't just "toss it at the construction supervisor" TELL him that you want 36" doors. If you don't do it know , it will never get done. As long as you are having it built, on your dime, Do it right the first time!

Judging by the size of the entire garage, a few bucks more for 36" doors won't break the bank!.

As far as bench height, go with what ever is good for YOU.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,881 Posts
One of the best thing you can do for yourself is to assign everything a spot and be religious about it always going back there. Establish a storage system and use all the same throughout. The plastic baskets are useful, but ten different types just makes a mess. Invest in more of the bin cabinets, assign each a particular purpose.

Lose the CRT TV and get a small flat screen to hang on the wall.

10' is pretty tight for a workspace layout like yours, you'll need to keep those benches narrow, say 24" or so. That also helps keep the build up off the benches.

Definitely a bigger door. I'd be inclined to put in a double door, cannot tell you how many times I've hangar rashed a plane on a door jamb. I'd also be inclined to put it in the wall bordering the 8' garage bay, that way you can set your planes there to pre-stage loading into a vehicle, or go right into the back of the car, or roll the mobile bench into the garage for those big projects. If you need the space for storage, make the bench or rack against the door mobile.

FWIW, it's your money, the guys building this are working for you, so you make the decisions as to what changes get made. At the very least, if it's within code, have your e-contractor run the power cables high in areas where you potentially might want to make some changes.

You can never have enough power, windows or light. Use good lights, not some cheap stuff off eBay. The new T54 flourescent lamps are incredible. Don't know what you're planning on for wall finish, but when I redid my garage, I sheetrocked and used a gloss white paint, made a huge difference in light dispersion. If you hate taping and painting, a good alternative is the gloss white bathroom paneling, it'll take a beating and is easy to clean.

Another thought, depending upon roof type, go cathedral over the work area. This will give you tons of height for aircraft storage, you can hang them with a homemade pulley system.

Either way, it'll never be big enough, just the way it is...
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Jan 2006
86 Posts
You mentioned expoy floor coating. Great idea but suggest you go with a mono color rather than the popular type that has "splashes" or "strings" or "dribs" of other colors mixed in. Reason: you drop a small part its easy to find on a white, or gray or light blue surface. Drop a part on a floor splashed with other (especially mixed) colors it becomes a nightmare search.

What are you doing for storage? supplies, completed airframes, kits wating to build?

carl
Carl'sbones is offline Find More Posts by Carl'sbones
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
A few comments:

Textured wall finish will make for a difficult to clean dust catcher.

Too many counters invite clutter and take up space otherwise usable for tall items like free standing drill press or shop machines on rolling bases. And it's nice to have some elbow room for larger projects.

Shelves can be located up high, above head level.

It is handy to provide storage space for large sheet goods like plywood.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Pic - 092412

Stopped by today and they had the walls up in the garage. Took a little stroll in there and felt pretty good about the space. Of course, I wish I had the ENTIRE garage but the wife said that wasn't going to happen.

I'm one of the worst customers this home builder can have. I'm not so dumb that I trust them emphatically or so smart that I can tell if something would pass critical inspection. I know enough to be cocky and a smart ass and question every piece of wood they're nailing up. I've learned words this week: foundation anchor, fingerjoint stud, horizontal double brace, and more. I also learned that if your builder sits on their hands and forgets to push for a brick support for the garage, you ain't getting brick on it. If I were to grade this builder right now, it would be a "D-" for communication. I've hired an outside inspector to do the framing and final inspection to protect us. He ain't cheap but has been very quick to answer my questions. I look forward to working with him in the next 2 weeks.

Anyway, enough chatter box. Here is the photo from today of the workshop.

Follow up answers:

- I'll take the anti-texture option into consideration. Thanks.
- Multiple shelves will be added, especially in the back area. That's where one wall will probably be 4-5 of them so I can store boxed kits and accessories.
- Found a cool side workbench on wheels at Sam's Club yesterday. I'll post a photo later.
- No flakes on epoxy floor - Got it!
- Not going to get that bigger door although I do like the idea. These guys are ready to hang me by the nearest tree already. I'm trying to stay back right now and just catch problems they make.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
This is the workbench I found at Sam's Club. Reviews seem pretty good.

Their website:
https://www.sevilleclassics.com/ultra_hd

A build thread on the bench:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=135135

Something to think about.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I thought national code dictated 36" exterior doors anyway. Maybe not or maybe not for a detached building that's not part of the actual home. Anyway, looks great so far!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop