HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,235 Posts
Thanks Ben, I have 3 of the Blue and 2 of the Red left. I've had rave reviews on the Super Zoom 3. Every time I sell one I get a couple more orders from their flying buddies.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
138 Posts
The zoom is a nice flying plane but it doesn't want to hover. Judging by the constant stick work on the video durring an attempt at hovering it still doesn't want to. Not my idea of a good 3D plane.
shortfellow is offline Find More Posts by shortfellow
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
Nice review!
I have/had many of the smaller Hacker EPP planes and then got the SuperZoom 4D.

I built it lite for a small area parkflyer. I set it up with a 24g BluseWonder outrunner, 1300Kv, 910mah 3 cell and GWS Pico servos, 2 for ailerons and one for elevator.
I don't use the rudder and so I set some mechanical differential in the ailerons.
I extended the motor mount forward and cut a bit off the rudder to reduce tail weight. Also I don't run the landing gear, its a grass lander.
So at 10.5ozs flying, it launches pure vertical, lands slow enough to catch, flys at 50% power and flys in 20mph winds with no problems.

Now the only problem is my Wife is driving the 4 door Acura and I'm driving the 2 seater Del Sol Civic. The Zoom won't fit in the trunk, so I have to set it in the front seat, with the tail almost in my face.

So I bought the XL and plan on making the wings removable and in in two pieces.

I have the XXL, but didn't like the way Hacker slotted/groved the wings all the way down and then expect you fill up the unused area with glue. Full length CF tubes that size are pricy, so I may sell it.
I also picked up a older SuperZoom, with a depron tail, good for a knock-around parkflyer. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
21 Posts
After a long delay our shipment from Hacker has arrived just in time for Cyber Monday! RCBaron.com has them back in stock.
Happy Thanksgiving
Ben
World Toy is offline Find More Posts by World Toy
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:28 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
108 Posts
Not sure if anyone will get this as the thread has not had any activity for a while but here goes.

Butch 777

With your light setup how long are you flying for?
thanks, John
John63 is offline Find More Posts by John63
Old Jul 01, 2014, 12:55 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
77 Posts
I have the SZ XL. I've had 3 motors in it and repaired it quite a few times. I try to keep it overpowered a bit because of our wind. Hits 7mph quick in the mornings and 12mph by 1pm. I love it. About time to replace it though. I'm flying with a 3s2200mah lipo to add a bit of weight for wind and hard maneuvers. I can spin it on the wing axis with the extra weight using a Cobra 2808/26 1130kv motor and a 10x5 APCe prop. I will try an 11x3.8SF this week.

I've been thinking about the 39.5" planes for another motor I have.
albsurfer is offline Find More Posts by albsurfer
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:38 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,585 Posts
One of my favorites - I stuck Spektrum/Savox servos in it really good servos bu not cheap-
small batt pack and a Scorpian motor - it can be flown in a tiny space - quick n agile.- I have some Zooms inc the 4D- which takes some sorting out because it cannot be flown fast- too flexible. The XL does duty as a pattern trainer - setup right you can smoothly do any FAI stuff.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson