HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Build Log
Sig 1/6th Clipped Wing Cub Build & Questions

Hi all, this will be my first "build log". I know there are a lot of cub build logs but they are usually vague on some of the details once they are framed up. I am building it semi scale/stand off scale. I have everything basically framed up but am creating this thread as a way to ask many of the questions I will have over the next few months. I have built a decent amount before but the hardest part for me is getting all the final details figured out especially on a kit that gives little advice for these steps. I figure this will be a great way to collaborate all of my struggles in one place. It will be a slowish process because I am also a college student and unfortunately my frequent tests take priority. Here are some pics of the progress so far and here is a list of the things I have been contemplating as well. Let me know any input you might have on this topic.

-One piece or two piece wing? - like the idea of a two piece with one servo for each aileron but only done one piece wings with one servo in all of my previous builds.

-Where to get tubing (and what size) to make it a two piece wing- is it too late to go that route with the wings framed up? The two wings halves are not glued together yet...

-Should I do the recommended dihedral or do zero dihedral? What are the pros/cons of either way?

-Engine selection: I have O.S. 48 surpass and a Saito .45 four stroke engines, any thoughts appreciated. I am leaning to toward the O.S. 48 as it is newer and I have ran it successfully multiple times.

-Gas tank size- I have a 10, 8, 6oz and smaller tanks but am leaning toward the larger for longer flights. The 10 will fit but would it make it too heavy??

-Covering-may be getting ahead of myself but it will be done in fabric. The iron on type. Probably 21st century colored fabric covering. Anything better or other suggestions?

-Planning on doing a pull pull system on rudder so I will have questions on that later as well.

- last but not least; should I move this to the builders section?

I built the landing gear based off of these threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906156
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post11394083
and toyjunker had a few threads that were a big help

That's all I can think of right now so again, I appreciate any and all input. Thank you.

-Greg
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Last edited by gjap; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,593 Posts
Hi Greg- not to take away from RCG but I have a build of a 1/6 SIG Cub that is converted to a PA-12 Super Cruiser on RCScalebuilder.com. You can 'lurk' for free but still have to register. The airplane has plug-in wings and stab halves, lights, pull-pull rudder, functional door (to get wings off), tow release and other nice scale details. A Cub can never have good fuse covering 'lines' unless it has plug-in wings and stab halves. I'm no expert but have built my share of Cubs! Cheers, ARUP
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Hi Greg- not to take away from RCG but I have a build of a 1/6 SIG Cub that is converted to a PA-12 Super Cruiser on RCScalebuilder.com. You can 'lurk' for free but still have to register. The airplane has plug-in wings and stab halves, lights, pull-pull rudder, functional door (to get wings off), tow release and other nice scale details. A Cub can never have good fuse covering 'lines' unless it has plug-in wings and stab halves. I'm no expert but have built my share of Cubs! Cheers, ARUP
Very cool build thanks for directing me to it. I am still a little lost on what to use for wing tubes to make the two piece wing. I will look more in depth into your thread but I saw most of your pics. What exactly did you use and where did you get it? From what i can see it looks like aluminum tubing. So I just need two aluminum tubes that will fit snugly together? Do the struts hold the wings on or is there another kind of locking mechanism to keep them from sliding out in flight?
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,593 Posts
Thanks! I used brass tubes in fuse and music wire stubs in wing. You can use about anything so long as it withstands compressive forces in cabin. The wing struts need to be functional. I like brass tube and music wire because I can round the ends of the music wire which aids getting them into the tubes. Keep a little oil on 'em, too.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP