You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Question
HK 450 CCPM T-Rex Clone

I just bought one of these today, looking for experienced users of the HK450's

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14516

I am currently flying a Blade 450x FBL and I am having a blast with it. I thought I would pick up this T-Rex 450 clone for $30 and practice building a kit.

I know that this kit is supposedly garbage, but I wanted the build experience as well as something to practice manuevers with that I didn't care much about. I already have the servos, Rx, and ESC to drop in it, so the only other purchase I would have to make is on a used FB gyro.

MY question.....

What parts are mandatory to switch out for Align parts?

I just want to make sure it flies stable and parts don't fly off in the air. It wont be used for ragging out, just sport flying and learning new manuevers, orientations....

I am new to helis, only been flying them for about 4 months, but moving quickly. Coming from 3D airplanes, I seem to be learning quick enough to need to learn how these things go together.

I would like to build a nice 600 around the end of the year.

Thanks for any advice...
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
It's far from garbage. There are people flying $10 helis around successfully. Head over to the HK450 thread and there's lots of talk over there. It's under mini helis I think.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:02 AM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
107 Posts
Those are not that bad. You might find few screws are missing with the kit and that some might even strip off very easy. Just buy additional screws and also a set of Allen keys from different manufacturers, but same dimensions. There will be minor difference in the dimension of Allen keys from different manufacturers and it will come in handy if you manage to strip the screw. All you need is, be careful with the build and apply loctite where ever needed.

I am actually in the process of building one. You can find about it here --> My Heli Build Log

Ebin
ebinmoothedam is offline Find More Posts by ebinmoothedam
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
22 Posts
Well, I have older version - HK 450MT (more than two years old), but this one is very similar. Some minor problems, but after all this is very cheep and valuable helicopter. Two weeks ago I have finished a new fuselage for my "old crow". Looks perfect, flyes good.

HK 450 Bell 206 (6 min 55 sec)
ifin is offline Find More Posts by ifin
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Love cheap ! , great for learning !

I just rebuilt [ tightened ] the head on my first DIY heli ..
After 6 months of serious abuse , I had to pull the head off and retighten a few things ..
Two screws needed re-thread locking ..
And just a little tweaking ..
And its sweet again , .......
Nice and quiet , less vibration , almost like new , and while its not quite hands off it will hold position [ depending on breeze ] for up to 5 seconds without input .

I removed some flybar weight from it , to make it a ittle more responsive ..
If you take an open minded aproach ,
Set up the kit with some care ,
use add on parts that work [ electrics ] and use it within specs , I dont see why it would not make a fecent 2nd heli
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
What parts are mandatory to switch out for Align parts?
THAT is a really good question actually. I didn't find anything on mine which I would say absolutely needed to be switched out, but I found that almost every part on the thing was not up to my standards. The only thing I switched was the torque tube (and to do that I had to get an Align boom because the bearing was stuck in the HK one). The TT is solid (light) metal for some reason and I think it was bent - but it probably would have worked actually, it wasn't a really bad vibration.

Here's the thing though - I have a pretty long list of issues that I found just during the build, and only by using visual and feel inspection - didn't have to get out the microscope to find many, many problems. What concerns me is that these are not the kind of problems a beginner would notice. Things like the washout links being too long, and the mainshaft bearings being sticky. So, I still don't recommend these for beginners, but if you absolutely must get a clone, have someone like me check it out before you cause a safety problem for yourself.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
FPV Crash Test Dummy
United States, AR, Sparkman
Joined Aug 2012
265 Posts
I've built several of the HK450GT versions and they are far from garbage. There are some poor quality parts that I would in fact recommend swapping out just to save yourself the hassle. For example:
  • I'd recommend an Align main gear set. I've yet to get an HK gear set that was not at least slightly warped. Some have been unusable.
  • As mentioned previously, the screws are cheap and strip very easily. Get a better quality hardware set or at least some spares of the cheap ones.
  • The tail pitch sliders also have a lot of slack and wear out very quickly in my experience. Get a precision aftermarket one.

I've upgrade my first HK450 to the point that its barely an HK anymore aside from the frame, but it wasn't really because I had too. Much of it was just bling.
vewdew1 is offline Find More Posts by vewdew1