pic & history and its done!
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:26 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
P-51A mustang

Instead of posting the pics and history, I'll just post a link here...

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...ts/P-51A.shtml

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,443 Posts
I would like to nominate the GeeBee Model R.

The GB was first introduced in 1932. The first flight was completed later in the same year. The Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster was a special purpose racing aircraft made by Granville Brothers Aircraft of Springfield, Massachusetts. Gee Bee stands for Granville Brothers.

In the nose was a massive 9 cylinder 800 HP Wasp radial engine. The GB had a top speed of 294.38 MPH. Many called it "Just an engine with wings and a tail". Jimmy Doolittle flew the R1 version in 1932 Thompson Trophy race, and won. He also set a new world landplane speed record in the Shell Speed Dash.

You guys build some pretty slick airplanes. I think you could do a really sweet job with this one.

Matt

microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Last edited by microflitedude; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Weekend Hacker
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2009
142 Posts
I dont envey you at this point Microaces, as there alot of great entries and still so much time left to nominate your choice. Good luck with a decision.
nitro_star is offline Find More Posts by nitro_star
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
I would like to nominate the GeeBee Model R.

The GB was first introduced in 1932. The first flight was completed later in the same year. The Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster was a special purpose racing aircraft made by Granville Brothers Aircraft of Springfield, Massachusetts. Gee Bee stands for Granville Brothers.

In the nose was a massive 9 cylinder 800 HP Wasp radial engine. The GB had a top speed of 294.38 MPH. Many called it "Just an engine with wings and a tail". Jimmy Doolittle flew the R1 version in 1932 Thompson Trophy race, and won. He also set a new world landplane speed record in the Shell Speed Dash.

You guys build some pretty slick airplanes. I think you could do a really sweet job with this one.

Matt
I'm supprised that nobody has posted that earlier! That would be really neat!

Free

BTW, not sure how it would look in profile form though??
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star View Post
I dont envey you at this point Microaces, as there alot of great entries and still so much time left to nominate your choice. Good luck with a decision.
I must admit I am really excited about designing any one of the nominated aircraft. There isn't one I think would be impossible to create as a kit, certainly some more challenging than others but WOW I am genuinely looking forward to the draw and the result of the poll, then getting started on the research.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
RCG -Minus Member
Joined Oct 2009
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I'm supprised that nobody has posted that earlier! That would be really neat!

Free

BTW, not sure how it would look in profile form though??
Not too bad, I think.

Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Not too bad, I think.

The E-flite UMX gee-Bee looks much better IMO..
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
RCG -Minus Member
Joined Oct 2009
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Yeah, but a small company like these guys can't afford to design a and build a mold like that. Molds are very expensive, more than you would think.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but a small company like these guys can't afford to design a and build a mold like that. Molds are very expensive, more than you would think.
Uhm.. I have designed and scratch built a F-14D tomcat in 1/7 scale, that utilizes molds (all constructed by me). I know entirely how much molds cost..

The thing that will be difficult with selling the same model as the UM series from horizon, is that for the same price as the Deluxe kit from Microaces, you can a BNF version from Horizon. So in order for Jon (Microaces) to be competitive, he has to offer something different.

What Jon is doing here is exactly what most of us wish all the big companies would do. By getting input from the customers and then allowing the customers to Vote on what they want to see released next is AWESOME!
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
ok i will stick to my old one
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Well then again it's not really a scale profile plane. It looks rather like a 3D foamy.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
aha just kiddin
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Apr 2004
128 Posts
Curtiss P-40B / H-81 Tomahawk

From Wikipedia:
The Curtiss P-40 was an American single-engine, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 was used by the air forces of 28 nations, including those of most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in front line service until the end of the war. It was the third most-produced American fighter, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built, all at Curtiss-Wright Corporation's main production facilities at Buffalo, New York.

Chap is offline Find More Posts by Chap
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,365 Posts
So many planes... Been considering quite a few... Avenger, Rata, LA-5/7, various Yaks, MiGs, Brewester Buffalo and much more.

Finally decided! Boulton-Paul Defiant, aka "Daffy". Certainly not the greatest combat plane built, but unique and not without a certain charm.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105