SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
I just updated my post because it lacked "history" and made some improvements to the Picture choice... iv added some close ups enjoy
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
541 Posts
F4U - Corsair

The Chance Vought F4U Corsair was a carrier-capable fighter aircraft that saw service primarily in World War II and the Korean War. Demand for the aircraft soon overwhelmed Vought's manufacturing capability, resulting in production by Goodyear and Brewster.

I think you'd do a great job on the details on this plane. BTW, nice website.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
Weekend Hacker
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2009
132 Posts
I must say it has been a learning curve for me also. A lot of the go fast planes of the era and not to many relaxing Sunday arvo session planes. I will be keeping an eye on what the next nomination will be.
nitro_star is offline Find More Posts by nitro_star
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Mitsubishi A6M Zero

The Mitsubishi A6M Zero was a long-range,light weight and very agile fighter operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service from 1940 to 1945

Name: 300px-Zero.svg.png
Views: 48
Size: 25.7 KB
Description:

The Zero below is piloted by Sub-Lieutenant Saburō Sakai a Japanese naval aviator and flying ace of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. Sakai was the Imperial Navy's fourth-ranking ace and Japan's second leading fighter pilot to survive the war.
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
See update to post 24
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Mitsubishi A6M Zero

The Mitsubishi A6M Zero was a long-range,light weight and very agile fighter operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service from 1940 to 1945

Attachment 5181186

The Zero below is piloted by Sub-Lieutenant Saburō Sakai a Japanese naval aviator and flying ace of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. Sakai was the Imperial Navy's fourth-ranking ace and Japan's second leading fighter pilot to survive the war.
Hi Jake21, a worthy choice and info on the ace pilot too. Unfortunately post #28 has already suggested the Zero so please have another go. Plenty of other awesome Imperial Japanese Naval aircraft to choose from tho, if thats the way you want to go.

Many thanks for the research info. I reckon Saburō Sakai would be one of the Zero aces to represent in kit form!
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
My fault for not looking through the thread. No worries
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
theres some great suggestions so far. will be interesting to see how the voting goes.
paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,782 Posts
Stinson reliant

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stins...iant#section_2
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
USA, NY, Watertown
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
The Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden ("Magnificent Lightning")

Now there's a challenge. And the least boring single engine WWII fighter ever flown! The The Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender is the other candidate but it is uglier.

The 2,130 hp Mitsubishi MK9D (Ha-43) radial engine and its supercharger were installed behind the cockpit and drove a six-bladed propeller via an extension shaft.

The construction of the first two prototypes started in earnest by June 1944 and the first prototype was completed in April 1945.

On 3 August 1945, the prototype first took off from Itazuke Air Base. Two more short flights were made, a total of 45 minutes airborne, by war's end.

After the end of the war, one prototype was scrapped; the other dismantled and shipped to the United States.

The sole remaining J7W1 was reassembled, but has never been flown. It is currently in storage at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.

awww that was going to be my suggestion...rats
barnburner13 is offline Find More Posts by barnburner13
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
USA, NY, Watertown
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts

I have to throw the Italians into the ring, and nominate the Macchi C.200.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_C.200
barnburner13 is offline Find More Posts by barnburner13
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:45 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,654 Posts
How about a Hawker Typhoon Jon?

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
Buellton, CA
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
SBD Dauntless nomination

The Douglas SBD “Dauntless” dive bomber would make a great Microaces plane. I think it’s under-represented as a kit in micro- or park flyer scale. When the SBD came online in 1940 it was already recognized that it was in danger of being outclassed by contemporary fighter aircraft; but the designated replacement aircraft (SB2C Helldiver) was still years away from fleet service. When the Pacific war broke out the “Slow But Deadly” Dauntless would turn into the US Navy’s most potent weapon. In the hands of skilled pilots the Dauntless was a very accurate and powerful dive-bomber, and with relatively heavy armament could defend itself when necessary. In one notable encounter, Lt. j.g. Stanley “Swede” Vejtasa took on three A6M2 Zeros and was able to shoot down two and destroy the third by ramming it.

The Dauntless’ finest hour was, of course, at Midway when several squadrons of USN SBDs sunk four Japanese fleet carriers and halted the eastward expansion of the empire. USMC and USN Dauntless units of the “Cactus Air Force” on Guadalcanal were instrumental in setting the tone of the island-hopping campaign of attrition that would eventually push the Japanese back to the home islands and set the stage for the end of the war.

Like many early-war planes the Dauntless would eventually be superseded at the front line by newer aircraft, but not always happily as some pilots preferred the old reliable SBD. Dauntless variants served in various capacities until the end of the war, and with several different Allied nations including the RNZAF and Free French. Even the US Army operated a variant of the SBD (A-24 Banshee) but I guess technically that would be a separate entry in the contest. =)

Mike
MinimumWage is offline Find More Posts by MinimumWage
Last edited by MinimumWage; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,938 Posts
IL-2 Sturmovik
was a ground-attack aircraft (Shturmovik) in the Second World War, produced by the Soviet Union in very large numbers. In combination with its successor, the Ilyushin Il-10, a total of 42,330[3] were built, making it the single most produced military aircraft design in all of aviation history, as well as one of the most produced piloted aircraft in history along with the American postwar civilian Cessna 172 and the Soviet's own Polikarpov Po-2 biplane, sometimes seen side-by-side with the big armored Ilyushin design on the front lines. The Shturmovik is regarded as the best ground attack aircraft of World War II.[4] It was a prominent aircraft for tank killing with its accuracy in dive bombing and its guns being able to penetrate tanks' thin top armor.[5]
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,860 Posts
I know the Mitsubishi A6M5c has already been suggested, but should it go to production, the finishing schemes would be unlimited!

It could be done as either a land-based or carrier-based bird.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."