SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Seized Nitro Motor

Ok so i went to a garage sale and this guy was selling all of his RC stuff (3 planes and a Heli and several radios and flight box) for dirt cheap, so i bought them. He said he hasnt flown them in 6 months and they all work. Well i finally got a chance after month from buying them to take one of them out. Before i was going to take it out i was going to fire one of them up. Well i found out that on one, the motor is seized up. I have read what to do if i had the motor OFF (noticed i said off) the plane.....but the guy i bought this from Epoxied the screws to the motor and the plane, and the bracket for the motor, he did the same to it... epoxied all the screws there... So my question is, how do unseized this motor since i cant get it off, or is there a way i can get the motor off w/o destroying the plane in the process?
smokingmango is offline Find More Posts by smokingmango
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
i guess you could drill them out to remove the head of the screw. just start with a really small bit and gradually increase in size until the head of the screw comes off. pain in the butt but about the only option. why in the world would anyone cover screws with epoxy? maybe ought been a warning sign from the getgo...
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,813 Posts
Remove the glow plug and fill the engine with glow fuel, it does a fairly good job of dissolving castor oil residue.If that doesn't get it turning, warm the engine with a hair dryer or heat gun. Most stuck engines are the result of dried up castor oil and heat will help soften the residue.

Heat will also soften epoxy enough so that you might be able to chip it away from the screws. If all else fails, grind the heads off the screws with a Dremel.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
I didnt know until just this last week, So i guess i need to take the motor off so i can get it unstuck then huh?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Canada, AB, Red Deer
Joined Apr 2010
312 Posts
I have had pretty good luck freeing up engines with good old ATF. You could try taking the glow plug out and getting some ATF in the top of the cyclinder. Pour a bunch down the carb as well to free up the crank. Don't be afraid to put lots in, you can always drain it back out, and give it a quick glow fuel flush.

Another thing I have done, which you may be able to do with the engine still installed, is pull the whole head of the cylinder and work the ATF in the top end that way. I have also taken the back plate off the case and dumped it in through there too.

Like Hemikiller said, using glow fuel would work too, I just like the cheap brands of ATF because it is cheap, comes in small jugs, and works well. It also works pretty good for anti-corrosion protection if you are not going to run the engine for a while.
stardustertoo is offline Find More Posts by stardustertoo
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
985 Posts
The carb is probably stuck too. Take the glow plug out, remove the carb and remove the muffler. Squirt WD40 or some kind of penetrating oil into all 3 openings. Heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer may help as already mentioned. Let it sit overnight. Soak the carb in a solvent by itself.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,120 Posts
The probability of just using some high heat like a commercial heat gun or even a torch to heat the head and carb will loosen it up if the cause is from castor oil congealing (a high probability). I've had little luck with fluids like ATF, WD40 etc. unless you want to leave it soak for a month or two. You can also use heat to loosen the mounting screws, a gun type of a 100 watts or so soldering iron might work well there, just heat each screw as you try to torque it loose.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Just put on a prop, pick up your covering heat gun and put it on high, heat the engine up hot then roll it over by hand, move the arm on the carb too so it is loosened up. Then pull the plug and put in some glow fuel and rotate the engine some more. I like to squirt in some marvel mystery or air tool oil, leave the plug out and roll the engine over with my starter.
There you are, a freed up engine. Trick time: use that heat gun on the screws that have the epoxy on them and unscrew them while still hot. Heat melts or softens epoxy.
When I have made a mistake in a build I just grab the heat gun, soften up the epoxy and remove the part, it doesn't even harm the wooden part so it can then be used in the correct location!!
A mistake in a build!!! Me?? Well I think I recall it happening once!!
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Well here is what i did, through the card and the hole were the glow goes, i squirted wd40 into it. Then let it sit a hour, then went back and squirted more in and started to turn it back and forth then squirt more wd40 in there....let it sit and then start process over again. While i was out i went to local hobby shop to see if they had anything to lube it up once i got it free... and they introduced me to this stuff called compression x... it help free up motors and lube it up at the same time. Right now i have sitting with a little bit of it sitting in the motor over night...it turns over but dunno if it is 100% yet... I hope this is work soon. I want to fly monday LOL

*** Correction on the stuff i bought at the hobby shop.. It is called Corrosion X
Last edited by smokingmango; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Sounds much easier then adding heat and rolling it over, I will give it a try next time to see how well it works.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I had 2 os46's that sat for 7 years, I couldn't turn the props on either engine. I put a little fuel in the glowplug hole and in the carb let it sit for a little while and the both freed up. I had to pull the piston on 1 engine as the ring was stuck soaked the piston for a while and that was ok as well.
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob