HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
530 Posts
Rant
Could a day get any worse?

Yesterday was my son's 7th birthday. I got him a black Venom Gambler and another white one for myself. I adjusted his so it basically crawled around and I was flying up and down the back alley. When I noticed my car wasn't going as fast as, I figured the battery was getting low and pulled it in next to me. I opened my back gate to drive it up to the house and there was no forward, but reverse worked. I picked it up and put in on a trampoline to open it and shut it off, still thinking it was a battery issue. The second I turned the switch off, smoke poured out of the ESC. I have a phone call and a support ticket into Venom.

Next, being a birthday party who doesn't like heli's? The MCX2 was fun and when the battery was depleted we moved outside for an MQX demo. I took it real high but kept it steady. I got distracted for one second and caught a tree branch. The resulting crash broke one of the arms. An easy fix, but still frustrating.

Now the party is over, the kids are in bed and I have a used Blade SR I picked up that I have just been dying to slap a training kit on and do a simple hover with. While the training gear says install in minutes, it was more like 15 and it took some effort to keep it centered. Finally I have my receiver set, the battery in place, all lights are orange and steady, all the servos are moving the right way and I have my finger on the lever about to turn off the throttle hold. One little click and a some throttle later the main blades are spinning powerfully and do not look like they need any adjustment. Then my eyes drift to the tail rotor. Nothing. Normally not a bad thing, but I bought this from a guy who works at the LHS and he just put this motor on. I pull out my meter and no continuity. Damn. I switch over to voltage and give it a little throttle and I can see the power going to the motor, so at least it is not the ESC.

Not a good day for someone who just started all this back in June. Makes me wonder why I am doing this stuff in the first place.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts