Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,219 Posts
Warps induced to be straight sometimes come back to haunt you. Redo it-you'll be happier.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,838 Posts
Will acetone (or CA disbonder) break the bond easily? If so, I'd remove it and glue it back.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
yeah debonder removed it. It still seemed a little warped. Have it pinned down and glued back on now. Will let it sit for a while then see how it is.

The LE doesn't rest flush with the board so that is why I picked it up. Just used some scraps under it this time to hold it up.

Robert
kingconsulting is online now Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Removed the LE and glued back on. Helped a little. Got to glue some aluminumum tubing in and a couple other knick knacks then I can work on the bottom wing.

I'm pretty sure once the wing is covered and attached to the bottom wing the slight warp should be gone. It is pretty light anyway.

Robert
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:04 PM
Looking Beyond ARF's
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
I just got the same Trittle Fleet short kit, have not started yet, I will be watching this post with great interest.
captainborg is offline Find More Posts by captainborg
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Thanks! I haven't been on it in a while. Adding an extra workbench today so hopefully I can get back on it this week.

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainborg View Post
I just got the same Trittle Fleet short kit, have not started yet, I will be watching this post with great interest.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,739 Posts
Making "Bows": Make a bending forms out of shipping carton or foam board. Cover edges smoothly with masking tape. Soak weighted-down balsa strips in bathtub for a number of hours. CYA ends of two strips together about 1/2 inch. Tape end to form. Pull inner strip around form and tape at other end. Apply Elmer's wood glue to inner strip and pull outer strip around inner strip and tape to end of form. Let dry completely. You could use CYA to speed things up but it's nasty to work with, sticks to fingers, hard to sand smooth. If you crack, but not break balsa strip, "cheat" and finsh joining or start over. When repairing "munched" wing tip bows, I usually cheat and make standard wing tip sections from sheet balsa. Practice makes nearly perfect.
Laminated balsa and glue are quite sturdy.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Holy return from the dead thread batman!

I've still been working on it slowly. Actually been flying a LOT so this has taken a back seat. Picked up a Top Flite p-47 GS kit and want to start that soon so need to get somewhere with this one.

Got the bottom wing done and glued in some tubing to hold the wing.

Robert
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Made the servo tray and put some outside stringers on the fuse. I'm getting better didn't glue my fingers to anything!

Robert
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Soldering and bending the struts for the wings. I decided to wrap them with copper wire then solder. Probably overkill but don't mind

Robert
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Got the motor mounted. Not correct prop in photo though. It looks like it will be a little short so will have to extend it a little. Will see when I start on the cowl and engine.

Robert
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Ok I got bored looking at wood and started covering the elevator. Using econokote. Actually working well so far.

Robert
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:11 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,352 Posts
Pat's wings are built very light, and you have to be super careful. I build them pinned down flat on the building board. Pat likes to use Microlite to cover his models with, and then will create the wingtip washout using the microlite on a jig. I don't like doing it that way because Microlite needs to be periodically re-shrunk. It develops wrinkles and loses it's shape over time because it's so light. So I usually warp the wingtips into washout over steam and then cover it.

But yes, build his wings pinned down absolutely flat on the building board. Also, he has an article out on aligning biplane wings in an old issue of Flying Models magazine. Do you have that? If not, maybe I can find it and scan it for you. Also, you can always write to him. He is very eager to help.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:14 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,352 Posts
Sorry...looks like I didn't read all the way to the end of the thread. You've already got your wings built. Nice job!
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Haha yeah they are already built. Always like tips though!

I'm using econolite or whatever it's called. Similar stuff I imagine. My wing built with washout but as you said it's so light it may be washed out the other way because of the heat we had. Just not sure about these small light planes. All my planes coming up after this will be a lot bigger.

But I have learned a lot from doing it! Since the parts I'm covering now I learned to use less CA Impossible to sand when it wicked everywhere. As I went on I used less.

Robert