So what process worked?
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Choosing the correct wood

Put CA on the end about a half inch. Soaked them in water for 20 minutes. Then wrapped it around my foam template. Pretty much the way in the link I had. The softer wood made all the difference.

Made a little progress and finished the elevators.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
So what process worked?
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:48 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Also I've heard that adding ammonia to water or using Windex aids bending.
This method works great, did it when sheeting the fuse of my 30% Cap. Also you said it was laminated sheets so next time try doing it in two pieces. form and glue the first piece, then once it is dry you can laminate the second piece onto it. just my .02
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Yeah that's what I was doing. I would run the one piece around then run glue along it then run the second over it.

I did try windex on some scrap pieces and it seemed to almost work with the harder wood but still would crack some. The wood was just too hard. Almost like it was basswood but it's not.

These were 1/16 x 1/8 strips too.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
This method works great, did it when sheeting the fuse of my 30% Cap. Also you said it was laminated sheets so next time try doing it in two pieces. form and glue the first piece, then once it is dry you can laminate the second piece onto it. just my .02
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,433 Posts
Things to try:
1) use very hot water
2) ammonia, ammonia works because it makes the cellulose relax and then reform when the ammonia evaporates.
3) windex with ammonia, note most windex now days doesn't have ammonia.

Most important try different grain balsa, like some A grain. Picking the right grain for the right pieces is helpful.

http://pldaniels.com/flying/balsa/balsa-properties.html
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Thanks everybody for the bending tips. Will have to try the plain ammonia next time. Have to do one more for the rudder but that looks like an easier bend.

Didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday. That thing called work got in the way

Robert
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Not too much progress but got the rudder done. The bend was a piece of cake this time. Need to pick up some .046 wire to attach to the horizontal stab. Also need some thinner CA hinge material. Don't think I'll be using my Great Planes hinge cutter on these

Robert
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Started on the fuselage today. Pretty easy. Just time consuming cutting the sticks but goes faster as you get used to it.

Robert
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Got a lot done today. Got the fuse together, stringers etc. glued in. Tired of breathing CA fumes so taking a break!

Robert
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Took a little break to work on something else. When I first started building I decided to stick with one thing until it's finished. Not sure how that worked out so trying working on more than one thing at once to keep me entertained.

Anyway started the wing today. Was a little concerned because the plans were a little off in the middle but shouldn't matter while working on the rest. Thought maybe my copied plans were off but checked the originals and were the same.

Robert
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
So no building yesterday. Went with my son, cousin and his kid to the Miramar Airshow.

Probably one of the neatest things was walking back to the parking lot an F/A-18 flew real low and exactly over our heads with full afterburners. Pretty sure he passed Mach 1. Set off ALL the car alarms in the parking lot. Put a big smile on all our faces!

Robert
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing your pics. I love air shows. I was in the USAF for 21 years and saw "air shows" every year. They never get old.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Got a lot of the top wings done. Have a problem as I think I created a twist on the left wing when I glued the LE on. Will probably remove it tomorrow and try again. I know I could probably fix it when covering but would rather start with something somewhat straight.

Robert
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Need a little help

Need some help from all you experienced balsa builders. I introduced a slight warp in my wing (about 1/16"). Most likely by gluing the LE on not on the board but in my hand

Do you think if I just removed the LE and reglued on the board it would keep it straight? This is the top wing and is supposed to be flat. Or is the warp not that bad and should ignore?

Everything is real lightweight with this build so it doesn't take much to bend it.

Thanks,

Robert
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:37 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
I'd take it apart and fix it.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo