HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Waiting for CA accelerator to arrive Should have ordered a bunch right from the get go...Finished trailer other than one last coat of paint and I plan on changing the electrical connector for a smaller one.
Troy1967 is offline Find More Posts by Troy1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
I really like that trailer! any chance on a quick run down on how you built it?
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,263 Posts
Nice trailer, I built a few trailers.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
I will do my best. The main frame was done out of balsa wood. It was measured for the Cris Craft I am building. It was coated in fiberglass resin, in hopes to cover the wood look. I went off my real trailer for my boat. I used tremclad to paint it but I think that was a bad choice. That is why I am going to paint it again. I bought an RC car from zellers that had 3 inch rear wheels which fit the 1/8th scale and took the wheels off that car. The rear axle I believe was 1/2".. It is brass tube from a local hobby shop. I used wood dowel to fill the tube and to drill the holes for the actual axle robbed from my zellers car. For the leaf springs I bought body repair metal and cut each leave out formed them and glued them together to form the spring. I then used coat hanger to form the U bolts and made a flat plate from the body repair material with holes drilled in it to accept the coat hanger(U bolts) and attached that to my brass axel. I used Robertson screws to attach the leaf springs to the balsa. Once it was attached I filled the screw heads with crazy glue to form a more bolt/pin look. The fenders were cut from a margarine container...LOL two fenders for the price of one container. The rear lights were from Post it notes page marker dispensers. I painted the inside lenses red and painted the exterior black. I used left over mahogany from my dumas build to fill in the back and sides of the lights and painted them black. The boat rails were built with formed U channels buit from my body repair material and the lengths were from left over balsa. I then had material left over from chairs we had recovered so I used that to represent carpet. The corners that are plated is cut from flat aluminum stock(reinforcing flat plate). The hitch was just carved into the balsa. The latch was formed out of the body repair material and then dremeled into shape. The jack stand was formed by two different sized aluminum tubes. The handle is part of the same coat hanger. The wheel holder was formed from the body repair material and the wheel was made from left over dowel from the axle. The top of the jack stand was filled with crazy glue till it formed a nice round edge that I painted black.... The safety chains were from this extremely ugly pendant found at a buck store... LOL yeah I bought it, I needed the chain. Then I used cut Pins to hold the chain then painted the ends black. I used .40 lock wire to form the hooks for the chains. I believe I answered it all???? Any questions just ask, so far the trailer has been a fun build.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Thanks Millertime, They are Awesome trailers...I wish I could have figured out a better way to form rear fenders.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Awesome trailers, never thought of displaying the boat like that.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Wow thanks for that Troy. I think I'll have a go at building one myself.
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Stained the sides and edges but left the top planking natural. I mixed up two and a half ounces of resin which turns out to be way too much. I applied the resin, while it covered well I can still see some of the weave in the cloth in a few areas. I'm thinking it is not thick enough in those areas. My question is should I add another coat before trying to sand it down or try to sand it lightly?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Ordered my remainder of items needed from Great Hobbies. Seriously for an online retailer best experiances ever.
What I have bought to go with the boat:
FlySky FS-GT3B Radio
HITEC S82MS Servo
ESC PROBOATS PRB2314
MACK 3600 Motor
ONYX 3000mah
ONYX charger
I will not be able to comment on performance until next summer as by the time I finish the boat it will probably be winter.
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Well Last coat of epoxy did not seem to cure. Either there was not enough hardener or the thinner I mixed in did not like it. Had to strip the boat down and remove that layer of epoxy. Very frustrating!
Nothing like starting over LOL
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Stripped the boat down applied new epoxy and now there was a ghosting of white. mainly on the front deck and the hatch. Not sure what the cause is but I assume it was from sanding into the cloth. Or it could be the temperature of my garage. Too cold I think.
In the process of brining the front deck and the hatch back down to the wood. takes a lot of sanding to get there. Not going to re-cloth these areas. going to just epoxy them.

The building is the easy part getting the finish right has proven to be the biggest amount of work.