HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
678 Posts
It's a Dumas 2025 and you're right it's certainly nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I suppose if I were to build another, I would upgrade the motor too, but mostly because I think water cooling might be a good idea, as mine gets a bit warm after running awhile.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1969 View Post
Thanks guys
I was seriously looking at the mack motor, however the site I am using barely has any information on it. I will look that model up for sure.
Do you have some ideas, like models for a 2.4ghz transmitter, that interested you, that I could possibly research?
Pat: I understand what you are saying however there is not much building involved with a speed boat and they are no where as pretty to display. I would like a nice compromise between a beautiful display model and one that is fun to use. I have seen a few youtube videos where the boat moved along quite quick just have no idea what they were using.
So far the motor, controls,ESC etc.. have been my biggest challenge. There are so many choices and at times can be confusing. I don't want to break the bank or have my wife kick me out over a boat However I would like to have a setup that I can enjoy.
Look into this tran/rec combo. (or any of it's equivalents at other suppliers). I use this for my FE Pursuit & I'm very happy with it & I'll be using it for my BarrelBack(if I ever get around to finishing it). It's avail. from several suppliers (Hobbypartz is where I got mine).
They also have a 15% discount code currently.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,366 Posts
Troy- I am using a MACK 5045 motor. I still haven't installed it yet, but when I had it in the boat before and did a test, it ran pretty fast. I am not lookig to have a speed demon on the water, but it will be nice to have something that can move.

My other two boats, both tugs Can move, but definately are not the fastest boats on the water.

Good luck on your build. feel free to read my thread ( if you haven't already) and ask questions. If I can answer, will be happy to help.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
In your video she looks very scale on plane.
Here is a picture of my 1960 CC on plane.

Don.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
The boat bottom frame is done and is now off the board. It took me approximately 8hrs of actual work time so far in 3 days. A few mishaps however easily fixed. I was using a slower cure epoxy. When I switched to 5 minute the build sped up quite a bit. I used drying times to do a few other things while I was waiting like cutting out the seat blocks. So far I have spent approx 42.00 in supplies(glue, sand paper..etc). I have to go shopping for more stuff today. For those thinking of building a Dumas kit get ready to spend a little. Thank God I own a dremel...Just Saying!!!

Werlec: Thank you, that is a great looking radio at a great price. I think I will have to order one from the US. They are expensive in Canada. I try not to order from the US as normally the shipping is as much as the item sometimes more. I don't get it but it is cheaper to get things shipped from Hong Kong?
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
I was wondering if any one could give me suggestions for the steering servo in this model. I need brand, part numbers or some way I can differentiate the sizes. They all look the same size online and I have no where close to view them. What did you guys use specifically? Thanks

I applied the bondo...man don't remember it ever being this hard however I haven't used bondo in forever. Is there another waterproof putty that I could put over this stuff to fill in the minor imperfections? Something with a little longer working time.

I may be excessive on the glue but went through almost 2 tubes gluing on the bottom and sides. I found out quickly use CA and accelerator when doing this step. Yes I know everyone talks about it in all the builds but I thought I'd try crazy glue....definitely not the same. Build is going well and so far I believe any beginner could do this with a little patience.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
678 Posts
As mentioned above, I used a Hitec HS-A-5076HB for the rudder servo on my boat, which fits just fine. I'm sure anything around the same size will work.

I buy all my servos from www.servocity.com They have dimensions/specs for all their servos in a fairly easy to read format.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
werlec: I ordered that radio tonight, thank you so much for your suggestion. I was about to spend twice that much on one that was no where near as nice.
Poltergeist: Would this one fit and work? Hitech HITHS82MS
Servo - Micro Metal Gear Univ - 29.8 x 12.0 x 29.6 mm - Speed 10s at 6.0v, it seems a little smaller than the one you have. Would it be strong enough? I can get it from a Canadian online retailer. If you have the time I would appreciate your input.

What batteries is everyone running? I was thinking of just getting the suggested 1800MAH 7.2 but in other forums some said they were running higher MAH's.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
678 Posts
I'm sure that servo will work fine. The rudder is so small on these boats, that I don't think you need a very powerful servo to move it, even at speed. One way or the other, you'll have to notch the underside of the aft seat to clear the servo arm and linkage.

I use a 4200mah nimh 7.2V battery in my boat, and get reasonable run times (maybe 15-20 min before the boat starts to slow down) I'd think an 1800mah battery might be marginal, but I'm by no means an expert on the subject.

Kevin
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Is it just me or does it not seem insane to charge 16.90 to ship a 1" prop to Canada? Mackproducts charges 14.00 then says to Canada add another 14.00 Mackpoducts is in NJ and I am east of Toronto???? Not 28.00 shipping away that is for sure. Guess it is the stock plastic prop for me.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,741 Posts
Sherry 1969- The charges for ordering from M.A.C.K. Products to Canada are $14.00 handling per order plus what ever the PRIORITY MAIL Rate is for the package to be shipped. You can order from one of the Hobby shops in Canada who carry our products, GREAT HOBBIES.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Thank for the response Frankg, Great hobbies is the place I ordered my boat from and will probably use them for just about everything for the boat. They are actually fantastic to deal with and shipping is very reasonable. However they do not seem to have or carry any mackproducts props. At least I can't find them on their site.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
So I bought bondo glazing putty for all the bondo messes. If I was to build another I would just use this. Easy to apply and easy to smooth way less sanding. I also found chrome paint at Canadian Tire. It was $9.99. I sprayed a couple of the parts that I had sanded down previously. It looks very good and they definitely look chromed.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
It appears there was no rudder shaft in the box? Guess I will have to make one. Decide to build a trailer also to display the boat.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
couple more of trailer...still have to add more paint and fenders etc..
Last edited by Sherry1969; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:21 PM.