HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
Dumas 19' Chris Craft

I have just ordered a Dumas 19' racing runabout 1249.
There is tons of information with regards to building however very little with regards to motor/esc options other than the Dumas motors. Also very little to do with radio setup and servo used. Primarily interested in the smaller required servo for this model. I am trying to order everything online as there are no good hobby shops near me. I Would like a drive system that will make the boat a little exciting rather than speed to scale. Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah where in gods earth do you get denatured alcohol??? LOL none at HomeDepot, Lowes, Home Hardware or Canadian Tire.

Thanks
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,060 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sherry1969.

The Dumas 6v motor with a 7.2v battery pack, and a 1" prop, will move the model quite smartly. I tried upping the prop to 1.25", found the motor overheated. You want faster, get a proper race boat and do it right!

The rudder is small and doesn't tax a smaller servo... I forget which I used, but basically one size smaller than a standard servo.

More tips in my tome:
Mahogany in Scale

and plenty here on the board too.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,188 Posts
The book is on itunes also i got both
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,632 Posts
If you are looking for an optional power plant for you racer, might I suggest the M.A.C.K. Products Model Marine Motor #3600. The motor has almost 3 times the power of the Dumas motor and can swing a 1 1/2-3 blade propeller with no problem. The motor also has a built in cooling fan so no water cooling is necessary.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/mack_power.htm
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
I'd install the newer 2.4ghz TX they are so cheap and no problems with interfering with other users

I also built some little shelves inside (not in the plans) to keep the electrics off the floor, I installed an inline fuse set up and a electronic switching device (In Pat's book) Not a lot space left after that!

RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Last edited by RussellTate; Sep 20, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Thanks guys
I was seriously looking at the mack motor, however the site I am using barely has any information on it. I will look that model up for sure.
Do you have some ideas, like models for a 2.4ghz transmitter, that interested you, that I could possibly research?
Pat: I understand what you are saying however there is not much building involved with a speed boat and they are no where as pretty to display. I would like a nice compromise between a beautiful display model and one that is fun to use. I have seen a few youtube videos where the boat moved along quite quick just have no idea what they were using.
So far the motor, controls,ESC etc.. have been my biggest challenge. There are so many choices and at times can be confusing. I don't want to break the bank or have my wife kick me out over a boat However I would like to have a setup that I can enjoy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,060 Posts
Name the boat after her, she'll want all the best in it!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
[QUOTE=Sherry1969;22783912}
Oh yeah where in gods earth do you get denatured alcohol??? LOL none at HomeDepot, Lowes, Home Hardware or Canadian Tire.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I get denatured alcohol in the paint aisle at Lowes or Home Despot. Usually on the same shelf as mineral spirits, Xylene, and lacquer thinner.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Denatured Alcohol is what I would call "Meths" (methylated spirits) 2.4ghz set up is available at hobbyking.com
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Hi guys received the boat tonight so obviously I started right away. First impressions. The hardware is horrible, really horrible. I now know why most of you modify it. I will have to read those forums again to see how to improve them. Cause I can't work that hard on a beautiful wood boat and put them on that way. The kit over all is great and the instructions are good. The punch outs are easily removed with no threat of breaking anything. The instructions are good and I am moving right along. When I glued the keel together there is an extra bump of wood that is not in the drawings. I am assuming i will have to cut it off but no where in the plans does it mention this nor does it show in any drawings?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
612 Posts
That "bump" forms the knuckle of the bow in the area where the bottom and side subplanking does not reach, so you do not want to cut it off. You will glue balsa blocks in this area to form the shape of the bow where there is no subplanking.

I used the Dumas 6V motor and suggested ESC, with a 7.2V NIMH pack. For the rudder I used a Hitec HS-A-5076HB, which is probably overkill but it fits nicely and I like digital servos. For the radio I used a Spektrum DX3E and MR200 receiver.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,323 Posts
Sherry I am building this boat too. Definately don't want to cut that piece off. As already mentioned it's used to give support to the bow and the pieces you'll later have to cut out of balsa to complete it.

I am now working on the tedious job of varnish work. Applying coats, sanding, applying etc. It's a slow process, but beleive the end result will pay off.

I am using a motor from MACK, forgot which one but will be happy to check it for you. I had the motor installed, but didn't like it's angle, so I took it out reset and plan on doing that after the varnish is done. Tomorrow when go down stairs, I'll check to see what model it was. In the mean time, here's a link to my thread, if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597328

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Just so no one panics, I did not cut that bump off. Thanks for the quick replies though.
I did screw up one of the frames, by gluing the braces upside down on the frame. So I had to cut out and dremel sand and cut new pieces to form the braces to the shape of how it was suppose to be. I need to pay more attention.
I guess this is turning into a build log. While I am new to balsa and to Dumas boats. I have pretty much done everything else with regards to Models, RC and regular. I have also built some of my own furniture at home. While there is tons of information here, I had lots of questions that I am sure I will figure out during this build. I am also logging the build including what it costs me and hours spent.
Poltergeist: Are you happy with how fast it goes? Or do you think it could use a little more? There is one video on Youtube with a guy who used a brush-less motor and it is really fast. I don`t need it that fast but somewhere between that and the other videos I seen would be nice.
Laser110: Thanks, I would like to hear about all motors and set ups. BTW Sherry is my wife's name, I just used that as it is the beginning of our email and easily remembered. My name is Troy
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
612 Posts
Troy,

I wasn't looking for "fast" with my boat. It planes amd seems to handle nicely, good enough for me. In my opinion, if one makes it too fast, it just increases the risk of the boat getting damaged/flipped etc. I figure the hull shape is only designed to go so fast, so why push it beyond that? Just my opinion.

Here's a short video of my boat. I don't think I was running it flat out at the time, so it might go a bit faster.

"Sallie" Chris Craft R/C (1 min 4 sec)

...and my "build log"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=newbi

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Thanks Kevin
I did see that video. It goes well..... is that the Dumas 2025 10,000RPM motor or the Dumas 2004 5000RPM motor? The 2025 does not look like the best quality but it is very cheap also. I can get it for $23.00. The 2004 is almost $70.00 but only 5000RPM seems to me like it would be slower than a turtle
There almost needs to be a thread of what everyone uses and their combinations and opinions of what they would change.
I think I have read and went back and read every build a few times now. I will probably read them again a few times before I am done.