HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:51 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Ok been a while again. I have made more progress on the cowl but that is stopped for now as Im to the point were I need to do some heavy sanding and will probably being using a mixture of a palm sander and a dual action sander and since I work on my hobbies during my nights off while the wife is asleep I have to be quite. I would go to the garage where I can make all the noise i want but I have no interest in doing that while it is dropping into the 20's at night. here are the servos I will be using and my tail wheel bracket. I have been doing some things on the cheap and I have made some of my own linkages and will make another post in a little bit with them as those pics are on my Iphone. Enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask away.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:10 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Here are the linkages that I made. You can see the one I bought for the pull pull on the rudder. The ones to the top left I made first a few weeks ago and really didnt like the way they looked. the new ones at the bottom look much more better. the aluminum pieces a buddy of mine made but now I feel I could do it myself as I have played with the lathe more. It was fun making these little bitty pieces on these big machines. The more I use them the more I want one at the house (actually Im to the point where I will say I need one). Thats all for now. Will be working on trying to finish my stabs and elevators in the next few days and figuring out my servo placement for the elevator servos.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:02 AM
Super Genius
United States, VA, Colonial Heights
Joined Apr 2005
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Here are the linkages that I made. You can see the one I bought for the pull pull on the rudder. The ones to the top left I made first a few weeks ago and really didnt like the way they looked. the new ones at the bottom look much more better. the aluminum pieces a buddy of mine made but now I feel I could do it myself as I have played with the lathe more. It was fun making these little bitty pieces on these big machines. The more I use them the more I want one at the house (actually Im to the point where I will say I need one). Thats all for now. Will be working on trying to finish my stabs and elevators in the next few days and figuring out my servo placement for the elevator servos.
Look good Chris, especially the aluminum pieces. JK
NEVER LEAVE THE CHUCK WRENCH IN THE CHUCK!!!!!!
wecoyote is offline Find More Posts by wecoyote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:30 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,155 Posts
subscribed! You are doing some work there.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:59 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Thanks I am trying. This thing is a lot of work but I love it. Yeah Tom as I said over on FG I didn't meen to leave it in there. I have now corrected since I got to work.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:38 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
OK So I did my control horns now to finish the rear stabs and rudder. Changed my mind tonight after staring at the stabs for about an hour. I was going to mount my elevator servos in the side of the fuse because I didn't think they would fit in the stab without having to lay it on its side but I realized it would fit so now they are in the stabs. They were just a hair to tall and a small piece of 1/32 ply glued in place acted as just enough of a spacer that the servo didnt hit the sheeting on the other side. first I located were I wanted the servos in the stab and then I cut out a 1/8 lite ply back plate that I glued in behind the sheeting. Two purposes 1 it gives the screws something to bite into and 2 I think it will help distribute the load a little better over the sheeting. Question for the day. Which way would everyone recommend the servo arm be facing? I was thinking out so it would be pushing the elevator in the middle of it and not jsut near the root of it.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:53 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
On an elevator that short i don't think it makes a lot of difference where the horn is located. If you were inclined, you could lay the servos on their side. I make a hatch out of lite ply and mount the servo to the hatch with a slot for the arm to stick through. It makes a little cleaner installation IMO. Some 1/64 ply to reinforce the ribs and a hardwood rail on the ply will mount the hatch/servo in the rib bay. This works great in wings but I guess you do need to watch the weight at the tail.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Ok this may be cheating but these are wings are off a crashed sukhoi. With some slight modifications. It will allow me to get it in the air much sooner.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:29 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Setting my incidences.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:41 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
All incidences are set.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:43 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Firewwall work. Add in some right thrust.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Glue and clamp in place.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:47 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Add some tristock and pin the firewall to the motor box and I am just about done. Once glue dries I with cut and sand the dowels flush. Don't worry everything is straight and square like it needs to be even though it doesn't look it in the picture.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:24 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
It's been quite a while since my last post so will start updating with some current pictures. Here is the fuse ready for covering with the motor mounted.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:43 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Looking good. Great to see you are back at the project. What is the motor.
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward