HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
A Deadly Question....

I live in a retirement community. Scoping out the area, I noticed a flat, beautiful, landscaped area, on communal property, that is just big enough to fly CL on 35 foot lines. It's PERFECT! Residents play Frisbee, throw footballs around, etc. on this land. Only one question, however. I paced it out and some high power lines are somewhat more than 100 feet from the perimiter of this possible flying area. Probably more like 125 feet. We all know that flying into the lines = death. But realistically, would it be safe to fly there-please don't say "I wouldn't, just to be sure." But some electrician or some knowing person knows for sure if this is safe. Obviously I don't want to be killed-so how close can one fly to high power lines?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:11 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
404 Posts
My best advice would be to contact the power authority's technical section. Describe the model, its construction (primarily made of wood/plastic, big/little metal bit at the front). Describe the lines you intend to use (metal/kevlar) & the handle.

See what they have to say as they could be the ones putting new fuses in the area.

Good luck, it sounds ideal.

Greg
greggles47 is online now Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I figure PG&E would surely say don't fly there even if there were zero danger. Imagine PG&E says OK people can fly there, then someone loses his handle, plane flys into the wires, guy grabs handle and gets electrocuted. Instant law suit and PG&E would have little defense. People drive golf carts, cars even set up a 12 foot tall stage with electric musicians, tents etc directly under the high voltage lines. I walked from the edge of my potential flying circle and paced 125 feet before I came under the first power line and it was probably 100+ feet off the ground. I just can't see some bolt of energy jumping at least 150 feet and hitting my airplane and causing death, destruction and mayhem. If no one here has a good idea I'll call Eric Rule he would probably know.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,057 Posts
There has been lots of discussion on this topic on the StukaStunt forum. Try this link: http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php Use their search for "hi voltage powerlines".

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Norm: Thanks for the link. At a glance it looks like 50 feet from hi voltage is OK and the 125 feet I'm dealing with is well within safe limits. But you go on to read those links and hear funny things. I'll look more tomorrow.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
I live in a retirement community. Scoping out the area, I noticed a flat, beautiful, landscaped area, on communal property, that is just big enough to fly CL on 35 foot lines. It's PERFECT! Residents play Frisbee, throw footballs around, etc. on this land. Only one question, however. I paced it out and some high power lines are somewhat more than 100 feet from the perimiter of this possible flying area. Probably more like 125 feet. We all know that flying into the lines = death. But realistically, would it be safe to fly there-please don't say "I wouldn't, just to be sure." But some electrician or some knowing person knows for sure if this is safe. Obviously I don't want to be killed-so how close can one fly to high power lines?
200 yards or better. That is 40000 volts going through the lines, DON'T ever go anywhere near them. Electricity is funny stuff- a lightning bolt can jump a gap of MILES. If you happen to be the shortest route to ground, guess who is going to get zorked?
They are stupid enough to go out there? Don't you be.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Tigreflyer,

I would fly any half A on 35' DACRON lines and not worry about it.. The only trouble you'll get is some mope complaining about the "noise." (I think it's music!)

Jim Gallagher
jimgee1 is offline Find More Posts by jimgee1
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
714 Posts
I have flown many times at just over 50' from 7200 lines with no problems. Remember, Lightning is in the millions of volts. I will not fly if there is any sign of a storm in the area. To me that would be a lot more deadly than flying at least 50' from any power line.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
352 Posts
You are completely safe at 125' from the lines. Even if they were 230kv lines. you would be safe. On a 230 kv transmission line, the lines are mere feet from the structural steel of the tower, and there is no problem with arcing or flashovers. Air is an excellent insulator!

I am an electrical engineer by vocation, in case you're wondering...
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Woody, Jimg and all: Thanks for the great information. Obviously, there are some real questions about flying near high power lines and I appreciate your help. Frankly, I was about ready to give up on my planned project to build a very light Baby Flite Streak with a hot rod reedy if I had no place to fly it. I really enjoy all the good Info. shared here. Thanks again!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I just got back from checking out my possible flying circle. The edge of the circle is more than 125 feet from the power lines. I walked to the tower and it was posted at 220KV.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:53 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
We had a nice site, until the local power company strung the powerlines, haven't flown there since. We were flying 1/2A with dacron lines on a day with high humidity, and got zapped on wingovers; not hard, but quite a warning...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2006
47 Posts
Just make your model electric and don't worry about the noise being an issue.
jccrall is offline Find More Posts by jccrall
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
125' is a long way from the edge of the circle. I can't see anyway you could get an arc from that distance. But I would definitely fly on Spiderwire-kevlar fishing line or dacron though. 30# Spiderwire is what I fly my Baby Streak on. I do have a degree in electronics engineering, so I'm not ignorant of electricity. Don't scrap your plans to build the Streak, my beam mount model with a Tee Dee .051 is the finest plane I've ever flown.

That Killer Bee with its big venturi can be a pain to get a good fuel draw on with a fast aerobatic plane like the Streak. If you want to try it, Texas Timers will sell you a Fine Thread NVA made for a Medallion that should fit into the Bee's backplate so you can run it on a pressure bladder.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Rkn: That sounds like the ticket! I used pacifiers then launch rubber fuel cells for years. I'm planning on mounting the fuel cell or tank on the outside of the fuselage, with the spray bar mounted horizontally. This would allow the shortest and most direct fuel line. Eric Rule says to go with a baloon tank, and I've had lots of experience with them, too. I'll probably leave the screen in the KB venturi at first to increase draw. All would agree that with a hot rod reedy low vacuum requires a primo fuel system.