HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
shurley
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Discussion
How to add working bombs to your scratch built foamie plane.

Hey guys and gals,

I created this little tutorial on how I added working bombs to my RC Powers F18. I thought I would share my experience here as well, it may help you come up with your own ideas for a bomb system on your plane. I hope you can make use of it. Good Luck!

Adding bombs to your RC Powers F-18v2 (4 min 46 sec)
shurley02 is offline Find More Posts by shurley02
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Apr 2010
128 Posts
Brilliant

Design simplicity is superb. This is going to end up a "standard" in warbirds. Thanks for sharing.

Didn't quite catch it in the video.... Are you using channel mixing to map the two switches to one servo?
metasim is offline Find More Posts by metasim
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,367 Posts
Very nicely don Sir!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us,I'll have to try that .Seems you could use a very small servo also so little weight.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metasim View Post
Design simplicity is superb. This is going to end up a "standard" in warbirds. Thanks for sharing.

Didn't quite catch it in the video.... Are you using channel mixing to map the two switches to one servo?
It sounds like he is using a three position gear channel to switch it. Middle position is neutral on the servos and each of the end positions drops one bomb, if that makes sense. One channel to drop two bombs.
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
shurley
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Sorry, I miss spoke in the video. I am using two switchs, the trainer and the gear. I have setup the mix so that if I flip the gear switch and do not return the switch, the trainer switch will send the servo full the other direction reguardless. I'm using the er9x software and the mix on my channel is:

100% FULL !TRN
and
+- 100% FULL !GEA f>0

This is so that I can have two bombing runs in one flight. I was going to use the three position switch, but opted for the trainer/gear mix. I also considered a two arm servo and dropping both, but I like having two runs in one flight. If you use this system in your plane, please send me some pix, I would love to see if you were able to make any improvements. I CHALLENGE someone to drop 4 bombs at a time!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
shurley
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
ALSO, I need to come up with some tissue paper bombs filled with cake flower! This was the original reason for the bomb system. I couldn't see flower bombs working with the rubberband/servo arm systems I have seen in other videos. Just need to figure out how to hang them on the pin system and keep them from tearing in flight!