HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
823 Posts
Build Log
Jolt F5D build thread

The Jolt is available from Soaring USA. SUSA is apparently having the plane built for them as a lower cost f5d size plane. Cost savings are realized by omitting some of the finer details of the more expensive planes. It needs a bit more finishing and is not quite as "perfect" as the more expensive options.

It is available with or without flaps in red(pink!) and green. Mine has black/white striped bottom. Mine came with servo covers, motor mount, and wing screws. SUSA says control horns are also included now. The elevator pushrod is pre-installed and is a carbon rod in a plastic sleeve. You need to provide some sort of aileron linkages as well as clevises/ball links to glue onto the elevator pushrod. Mine weighs 364g(wing: 244 Fuse: 99 Elevator: 21).

The fuselage had random carbon splinters around the edges of openings, but they were easily sanded smooth in a few minutes. There are a few small surface blemishes on the fuselage, but nothing I will think about after this sentence. The wing and elevator are finished very nicely with surfaces as good as I've seen. The elevator slides sideways into the fuse like a sunracer. It is about 2-3cm above the pushrod exit so the control horn will be longer than average which helps with using more throw on the elevator servo. Important note: the elevator wiper will pop out and jam against the skin, locking the elevator in place! This occurs on mine at about 5mm of travel. It would be easy to sand a bevel on the wiper to prevent this, but 5mm is more than adequate throw in my experience. Ensure your rates are set appropriately to avoid this!

The servo bays are small(23x33mm) and the wing is thin. The aileron bays are shallow - 5.5mm at the rear and 7.5mm at the front. A hitec 65hb will fit under the provided covers if you cut the mounting lugs off. Mine is aileron only so I can't say anything about the flaps.

There is lots of battery space. From my measuring I think you could fit 4s+3s pp65 2250 packs with the 3s in front with an ice100 size esc on top and the 4s pack under the wing. I think you could also fit a 5s 2700 pp65 pack under the wing. 5s+3s 2700 pp65 maybe(length might cause trouble)? The limiting factor in battery size will be what you can fit between the bulges where the wing mount threaded inserts are glued to the fuselage. I sanded mine a bit and 39-40mm is the widest you will be able to go I think. That will give you about 37mm max of height for the battery. I don't have any large packs to actually test fit, but will hopefully be figuring that out this weekend. The fuselage tapers slowly behind the wing so there is lots of room for a servo, receiver, and a battery/bec if you want it.

My overall initial impression is very good. The wing and elevator look excellent, the fuselage is a bit rough around the edges but more than adequate and very spacious. I've never seen a more expensive viper/jibe/etc so I can't give an opinion on how the price/detail ratio compares.

I'll get some building done in the next week. Until then all I've done is spent maybe 30 minutes today sanding - smoothing the sharp edges around the fuselage, fitting the elevator into the fuselage, fitting the servo covers into the wings, and cleaning up the fuselage where the wing rests as it had a slight ridge along the seam.

Mine will at first have an ice 100, medusa 28-56-2800 on 4s with a 5.25x6.25 prop, and three 65hb servos. That'll be right about 100a static so I'm leaning towards a small lipo and bec for the radio, but we'll see.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
823 Posts
Reserved.

I don't know why, but others do this!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,390 Posts
Looks like it will be a nice writeup Biskit! Keep it up
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:53 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
Following this one, go on....
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Subd 4 sure !
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
823 Posts
Test fit some Hyperion packs, all were the 45c ex. The 4s 2600 fit but was only about 2mm below the wing. 3s and 4s 2200 fit. No 5s packs were around to check but I doubt they would fit. You can easily fit two of the 2200 packs end to end with esc above the front pack. Motor length and how far aft you stick the elevator servo and rx would be the limiting factor but it wouldn't be a problem if you planned for it. 7s 2200 would be easy, 8s maybe depending on how thick your esc is. The 4s 2600 I was planning on using suddenly seems very inadequate.

The max cross section for batteries is going to be about 37-38mm tall and 40 mm wide.

What about bullet connectors? I tried Hyperion, castle, and a bunch of cheap chinese ones and they were all very tight, some couldn't be separated by hand. Do they loosen up? Will heat shrink make them easier to grip? Do you have to pry them apart with a tiny screwdriver?

I picked up a tiny rx pack and hardware for the linkages, will get time this week to work on it. I also got a wire to replace the carbon pushrod, I plan on z-bends instead of ball links, less to go wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
When I talked to Gary at SUSA,he was running Thunder Power 2250 45c 5 cells and he said they fit perfect.You want to use 4mm bullets and plug them on the side of the pack against the fuselage.Once they are soldered and shrink wrapped, they will come apart easy....and if you have 3mm room to the top of the wing with 4S,you are golden ...all my packs touch the wing.I will have that carbon fiber in the mail tomorrow
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
What about bullet connectors? I tried Hyperion, castle, and a bunch of cheap chinese ones and they were all very tight, some couldn't be separated by hand. Do they loosen up? Will heat shrink make them easier to grip? Do you have to pry them apart with a tiny screwdriver?
I am using Castle 4mm bullets in my Viper. I went 5S from a 3S + 2S pack and bullets to conect the batteries in series and bullets to the ESC. Back then, I purchased three or four packages of bullets and found some of the female bullets were too small and the male connectors could not be fit by hand--they wer too tight to be used. Once I weeded out all the bad ones I had enough good ones leftover for two battery packs and the connectors on the ESC. Once you solder on the wires it also gives you a little more to grip when pulling them apart (but the tight ones could not have been used no matter what - they were REALLY tight!).

Since then, we (Tower Hobbies) have been out of stock on the Castle 4mm bullets for a long time (all summer?). But now we're back in stock and the ones I've received recently all seem to be fine.

Long stroy short, you probably have a few out of the batch of super-tight (defective?) bullets.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
When I talked to Gary at SUSA,he was running Thunder Power 2250 45c 5 cells and he said they fit perfect.You want to use 4mm bullets and plug them on the side of the pack against the fuselage.Once they are soldered and shrink wrapped, they will come apart easy....and if you have 3mm room to the top of the wing with 4S,you are golden ...all my packs touch the wing.I will have that carbon fiber in the mail tomorrow
Dude,

how many speed planes do you have now?

My Viper is virtually good-as-new with nairy a scratch (after 113 flights ), so there's no really good reason for me to buy another F5D. (But I want one!)

Sorry for the hijack.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,390 Posts
So quit landing on that grass carpet you have at your field!
Try landing on some asphalt then you'll have some real pretty scratches and will be able to justify that new plane you really want
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Dude,

My Viper is virtually good-as-new with nairy a scratch (after 113 flights ), so there's no really good reason for me to buy another F5D. (But I want one!)

Sorry for the hijack.

Tim
wanting and needing is not the same
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Test fit some Hyperion packs, all were the 45c ex. The 4s 2600 fit but was only about 2mm below the wing. 3s and 4s 2200 fit. No 5s packs were around to check but I doubt they would fit. You can easily fit two of the 2200 packs end to end with esc above the front pack. Motor length and how far aft you stick the elevator servo and rx would be the limiting factor but it wouldn't be a problem if you planned for it. 7s 2200 would be easy, 8s maybe depending on how thick your esc is. The 4s 2600 I was planning on using suddenly seems very inadequate.

The max cross section for batteries is going to be about 37-38mm tall and 40 mm wide.

I picked up a tiny rx pack and hardware for the linkages, will get time this week to work on it. I also got a wire to replace the carbon pushrod, I plan on z-bends instead of ball links, less to go wrong.
Man, I really dont know why almost every single fuselage F5D is a tiny bit smaller to really fit a 5s 2200mah pack..... WHY cant they make the fuses 2-3mm bigger in that area ?????

35-36mm width and 42-43mm height would be perfect fuse, now all 5s packs would fit..
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Man, I really dont know why almost every single fuselage F5D is a tiny bit smaller to really fit a 5s 2200mah pack..... WHY cant they make the fuses 2-3mm bigger in that area ?????

35-36mm width and 42-43mm height would be perfect fuse, now all 5s packs would fit..
They do,it is called the Swist
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Dude,

Sorry for the hijack.

Tim
I can only explane it as " I have ISSUES " ....besides,it's partly your fault !
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
823 Posts
The pp65 5s 2250 won't fit if the published dimensions are accurate, but the pp65 5s 2700 will fit. I think, I haven't tried any TP packs. At any rate, you can do 6s and 7s of the Hyperion for sure and maybe even 8s.

You can fit a lot of battery! A pair of 3s in series means lots more battery options and it fits so easily.... What's a good 6s motor for the 5-5.5 inch props? (!). I'll try the 4mm castle bullets then too.

PS: will 10gage wire fit in the 4mm castle bullets? They say only 13gage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
When I talked to Gary at SUSA,he was running Thunder Power 2250 45c 5 cells and he said they fit perfect.
Last edited by biskit; Sep 21, 2012 at 07:35 PM.