Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Love the looks of the Cloud Bound...looks kind of scale, cool open structure in the tail, but "V" tail.....not really my bag....

Built the Big Bird, looks really nice in transparent orange...
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Pictures of Viking from other thread fyi:
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Pictures of Windfree XL from Ray's site....oooooo babyyyyy:
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I really like the looks of V tails so that's a big reason why I like the Cloud Bound.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
That canard BOT is cool looking, "batteries charged, check....transmitter on, check.....launch backwards....oh crap, I got to turn it around!.....check" LOL
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
That Canard BoT reminds me of a Klingon Battle Cruiser in the side view. Hummm Some gray metallic finish would only add to the illusion. I will be saving the files for a future build.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
Too bad you can't buy that one. Or can you?
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:21 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,572 Posts
Quote:

This kit was going to be available a year ago, all I needed was the build instructions and a long time flying buddy was working on them. When he finished the build, I got a big surprise ... he built the wing with very little dihedral, said he saw the design as a sloper ( but he didn't build it with ailerons).

One kit was built by another long time flying buddy and I got to fly it one evening after the Nats. It performed beautifully, the high aspect ratio/low drag wing worked a very light evening thermal to almost OOS. It was a thrill for me, I started flying RC Sailplanes with Windfrees.

My build (pics on my web), like so many others, is almost completed. I need to finish and test fly mine to make sure the dihedral I chose is right in windy conditions.

Hopefully, I'll have the kit ready this early spring.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
You could let us beta test it and help with the instructions while we are at it...

Sounds like win win to me
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
I agree Uber,

Come on Ray...we are chompin' at the bit....send us some prelim short kits, it will give you incentive to finish yours and verify your decision on dihedral before we glue in the root ribs. And being in the desert, I could fly it before everyone else! he he...could give you an excuse for a winter business trip write-off to Phoenix, heck, maybe a Skybench woodie flyfest.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,572 Posts
Quote:
I agree Uber,

Come on Ray...we are chompin' at the bit....send us some prelim short kits, it will give you incentive to finish yours and verify your decision on dihedral before we glue in the root ribs. And being in the desert, I could fly it before everyone else! he he...could give you an excuse for a winter business trip write-off to Phoenix, heck, maybe a Skybench woodie flyfest.
Actually, you may have something .... A Wood Crafters .. AZ. Hmmmm !!!

I'll get moving on the WF-XL

I forgot we have two LOFT club members In AZ. Jim Velleman is also taking up residence down there. I was in Sedona two weeks ago. The Pink Jeep ride is a must do, take the scary ride, I was airborne twice.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Ray,

My refubished OLY III was one of Jim's. Like I said, hard to keep a good model down.....have yet to "re-maiden" it....had to re-attach fin that was broken under the covering, flying stab is a bit loose and may have to put in a new front bearing tube, or add perm. small extensions from the fin to have a bit more bearing tube length.

Doesn't your websight show a Woodcrafter even at a SWC in the past?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,888 Posts
I think some of your concerns are misplaced.

The Challenger may seem heavy, but it has a 145 inch wingspan! You should correct by the square of the wing span, so that the 85 ounce Challenger is equivalent to a 40 ounce Olympic II, which is very floaty. The wing loading is a bit more, I'll admit, but it's a long skinny wing so flying at a high lift coefficent won't make it mush the way it might with a lower aspect ratio. The Clark Y has decent performance when the Reynolds number is high enough, which you get with larger gliders. I haven't flown one of these, I'm just going by the specs.

Correcting by the square of the span does have it's limits. By that standard, my 16 ounce hand launch (kit said standard servos ok!) would have been equivalent to a 44 ounce Oly II, but it came down awfully fast. Going the other way, it's probably a little pessimistic.

I've seen Paragons launched on winches many times. If you try to launch it like a Supra, it will break. If you tap it like a woody, it won't. Models with good workmanship and steel wing rods of moderate size will bend the rod before the wing breaks. If you're totally paranoid, it's easy to add some carbon, but you still shouldn't just stomp the pedal. If you're just a little paranoid, you can use maple or something for the inner spar caps. Or you can make them wider. If memory serves I have broken two woodues on the winch. One was on purpose, and it took a lot of force.. I had added more wood to the inner spar caps. The other one had some defective glue joints in the joiner box area, and it still survived quite a few launches before breaking. I've also busted a carbon and foam wing, not on purpose, because the guy who built it made a mistake.

I've seen Mirages going up on 12V winches with no trouble also. I don't know the spar size, but I suspect the same comments apply.

It's possible to make a woody that is nearly impervious to winches, though I wouldn't have believed it until I saw Mark Drela launch his Bubble Dancer or his Allegro Lite. BTW, I think he suggested double covering the center section for more torsional rigidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
snip
1) Challenger - a real heavyweight @ 85+ oz - but i fly in relatively calm conditions- if i lived in windy Tx it would be great
2) Paragon - Seen em, like em, would have no problem building one - i do moderate concern about 12v winch and spar survival strength = spar strength add-ons ?
3) Mirage - i love the idea, a gasbag that should be able to penetrate into the wind with the semi-symetrical airfoil( even have the short kit and lumber but was going to build for ALES - as is...) - but again a design for 6v winch and maybe needing upgrades for 12v winch spar design= more build time... .

4) Ok, So the Viking makes the "Buy then Build Button" impulse for me.

snip

best wishes, js

As far as a group build, I probably won't be participating. But if I was, I'd probably have two suggestions:
-A two meter design I remember, which had a v-tail, ellipticalish tips, and was called the Sapphire. (Not to be confused with many other gliders of the same name.) It was very pretty. In Flying Models in '97, I think. E205, but something else would be nicer!
-Sailaire
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone kits these. I kinda wish the Sailaire had a Clark Y or other airrfoil with a wide speed range.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
good points

Hi Lincon.
These are good points and valuable when making a decision what to build.

As it turns out i will be building the Mirage simply because it is light and easy to build - for me anyway. The *time* spent to build the Mirage will ensure that it gets done (i.e. loss of interest syndrome) in a timely manner. My larger and bigger dbox type models - Marauder, BBXL, and Windsong's have taken quite a bit longer . As a recovering free-flighter i always enjoy or will enjoy the handling and flying the lightweight models thus the Paragon, Viking, and Mirage would always be my top choices.
It ends up for me being a ketchup vs. mustard decision - it's all good .
take care, john s.

PS / Fyi - the S3014 airfoil used in many Skybench model really gives my skybench BBXL some real "legs" so that is a big plus when considering which model kit to choose
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: 3014 comment
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Hi Mr. Smith

You could have a winter ' Run what you Brung ' build off, then each builder can build his favorte woody glider.

Be it a kit - off of plans - or his own design of any size then be stoked about what he is doing, then the others looking in on the thread could vote for a winner and maybe 2 nd and 3 rd place too.

Just a thought!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don