HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
My thoughts were to CAD them, you interested in building one? I was gonna CAD them at some point.
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
any way to get a print out in a pdf file so we can print out these drawinf in a bigger size?
I will eventually vectorize these. But until then that's all I have. I can easily convert it to pdf but it'll still degrade in resolution the higher you enlarge it.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowking View Post
My thoughts were to CAD them, you interested in building one? I was gonna CAD them at some point.
i have a plug for molding one ..but it is missing the first few inches of the intakes and the last few inches of the spikes at the tail,also i need drawings for the wings,stabs,and vert tails.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Well, I've taken it upon myself to CAD up that dwg. From that you'll be able to scale it up/down to whatever you want. Maybe it'll entice someone to start a project that they'd share with us.

Anyway, it'll solve your intake stuff. You might be able to pull rough dimensions for the wings and such but that's about it. Someone else will have to work on a detailed design.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,752 Posts
that would be cool.there is a long story behind this plug
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Do tell
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
I started an Open Hardware project for this CAD file on sourceforge and I'm releasing them under the CC Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 license, which is a free culture license with copyleft. Please read the license to understand your rights and obligations before distributing the CAD files. You can find the terms of the license in the repository or here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses.../3.0/legalcode

You can probably grab the files in their current state. If you grab the files and modify them, please send me a copy. I'll include your changes!

I'll post another note when I've completed converting that raster image into a CAD file.

You can find the project hub here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openf15edf/
It's a work in progress. The quickest way to download the project files by clicking "files" tab and downloading the zip file I uploaded there.
Last edited by arrowking; Sep 29, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Ok I'm done drawing out the former/bulkhead contours in CAD. You should download the V0.2 zip file. All the formers are drawn in for that package. I'll return to this project soon I think. For now I'm gonna return to my other project.

To everyone who wants to build an F-15, go for it! Make sure to share a build log with us. If you modify the CAD files to make plans for your drawings, we'd love it if you shared your modifications with us too.

Enjoy.
Last edited by arrowking; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
55 downloads so far, that's kinda cool.

I'm wondering if anyone has decided to use these?

I'm totally threadjacking here. I wonder if the originator of this thread is still building his?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,794 Posts
My construction method is a bit different but I will post what I done so far. Keep in mind my project was started 3 years ago.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Arrowking,

Any chance you could convert the .dwg file to .dxf format? TurboCAD Deluxe can't open .dwg format.
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:11 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
Arrowking,

Any chance you could convert the .dwg file to .dxf format? TurboCAD Deluxe can't open .dwg format.
Removed,read below
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by D_FAST; Oct 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
D_FAST, that dwg is licensed under the terms of the CC BY-SA V3.0 license. It was very nice of you to convert the file for a friend in need. That's why I licensed it under the terms of the CC BY-SA V3.0. It gives you the right to modify it, as well as to distribute it and your modifications, but only under the same terms.

In order to abide by those terms, you must keep all licensing documents together with the licensed file, otherwise you'd be violating the terms of the license.

If it's possible to do, I'd like you to remove the attached file from your post. I don't want an archive without the licensing files being distributed. Also, the dxf in the zip file is poor quality. No offense intended, I know you were just being helpful I'm just educating about open source licensing to protect this project.

Here's a copy of the archive with a dxf file: Download Open F-15.zip It takes about 5 seconds for it to start downloading.
Last edited by arrowking; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,067 Posts
@Arrowking
I removed it!

@ Everyone, that doesnt want to deal with the above crap,just drop me a pm i have vectorize the entire drawings with Illustrator CS6 offering it in native illustrator,pdf,eps dwg,dxf formats
and will be glad to share with out having to deal with licenses.

Its why i love this forum, sharing ideas,info,drawings,plans without paying or dealing with the above
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
I'm glad to hear you created your own dwgs. It took me about 5 hrs to sketch up that jpg manually. You have a tool that automatically vectorizes? Nice.

Feel free to distribute those here . I wouldn't mind seeing how that software worked out quality wise. I didn't mean to offend you by any means. I'm just experimenting with bringing Open Source development model to the aeromodelling world. I hope you understand.

I'm not planning to work further on this F-15 drawing, for a while at least. I'm working on dwgs for a different jet. I just decided to do someone a solid, and kick start a small project at the same time with minimal investment as a trial run for when I release my other project. I'm really just trying to see if I can get people interested in contributing to an open hardware project.

Are you by chance distributing your drawings for the Frogfoot you are working on? I'd love a copy. Great thread.
Last edited by arrowking; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:42 PM.