SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
Just put it on the credit card
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza issues with FrSky D8R-II Plus

I hope someone can help. I have had the DJI Naza working on my quad without any issues for a while using a Turnigy x9 transmitter and stock receiver. On Monday I upgraded my Turnigy x9 to an FrSky DJT module, upgraded the receiver on the quad to the FrSky D8R-II Plus and added the DJI Naza GPS upgrade.

I went through the binding procedure and tested the receiver with a spare servo. However the status light on the Naza flashes orange really quickly indicating a fault. So I loaded up the DJI Naza Assistant 1.8 software and it was coming up with CFG-ERR, so I checked that I am on the latest firmware and went to recalibrate. Every time I tried to calibrate the software would crash. Eventually I reset my Turnigy x9 to default settings and disconnected all but the main 4 connections from the Naza to the FrSky receiver including the GPS. Now I am able to get into the Naza software and calibrate, however it doesn't recognise any input I make in PPM mode, only if I put it into Tradition mode and even then it wont calibrate correctly and sometimes just comes up with RX-ERR.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have spent over 10 hours trying to sort this and getting no where.
JaeDubbya is offline Find More Posts by JaeDubbya
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:43 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,961 Posts
Frsky PPM mode is a bit non standard, frame is 18ms, instead 20-22.
It's a known issue for other FC, where people either set the radio to 6ch mode, if available, either avoid using ch7-8, and set them to minimum pulse value.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:20 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,527 Posts
Flash your T9x with er9x FW and then you can set radio to 6ch mode.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Thanks guys, but I think the problem is either the Naza or the transmitter. I put the old Turnigy x9 receiver and transmitter module back on to test and now I also have the same issues with them. The Naza really doesn't like PPM at the moment.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
I have installed the Naza software on a different PC and tried upgrading the firmware on my Naza again, but no joy. Still not getting anywhere with PPM even with the old RX and TX.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:01 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeDubbya View Post
I have installed the Naza software on a different PC and tried upgrading the firmware on my Naza again, but no joy. Still not getting anywhere with PPM even with the old RX and TX.
Try to downgrade FW on Naza
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:56 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,961 Posts
Will not help because this (the later) is the only Naza firmware talking PPM, they are old style
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
All sorted! I contacted Quadcopters.co.uk who I bought the Naza from. They just advised me to avoid PPM on the Naza software and just calibrate to traditional. For some reason after a couple of resets I managed to get it to calibrate correctly with traditional.

FYI - you can't downgrade the firmware on the Naza.

I think the next mod I will do will be to flash the firmware on the 9X.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
983 Posts
Hi Jae

I have exactly the same setup as you - Have you noticed where your motors start up from on your throttle? I had startup around 10-20% of travel of the throttle stick on stock 9x s/ware and the previous Naza firware. , I have flashed the firmware on my 9x to ER9x and upgraded the Naza firmware and now i dont get motor start til 40-45% of travel which is not good. Trouble is I cant pin it down to ER9x and Naza or the new Naza firmware and 9x cos I made both changes at the same time. Would be good to compare notes

DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan View Post
Hi Jae

I have exactly the same setup as you - Have you noticed where your motors start up from on your throttle? I had startup around 10-20% of travel of the throttle stick on stock 9x s/ware and the previous Naza firware. , I have flashed the firmware on my 9x to ER9x and upgraded the Naza firmware and now i dont get motor start til 40-45% of travel which is not good. Trouble is I cant pin it down to ER9x and Naza or the new Naza firmware and 9x cos I made both changes at the same time. Would be good to compare notes

DaveB...>
I think you can downgrade Naza. Just download older assistant for computer.

Naza and er9x FW: ask here: http://9xforums.com/forum/
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
630 Posts
Quote:
All sorted! I contacted Quadcopters.co.uk who I bought the Naza from. They just advised me to avoid PPM on the Naza software and just calibrate to traditional. For some reason after a couple of resets I managed to get it to calibrate correctly with traditional.

FYI - you can't downgrade the firmware on the Naza.

I think the next mod I will do will be to flash the firmware on the 9X.

Thanks guys for all your help.
I had similar trouble with the new PPM support. Used the Naza with a Turnigy 9x + ER9 firmware and the DragonLink tx/rx. I had crashes when calibrating the transmitter with the Naza Assistant and while I could fly (with all 7 channels working), I experience some strange behavior especially in GPSATTI mode. So I went back to the traditional mode and now everything just works fine.

Not sure if this is due to Naza's PPM support or the TXER9 + Dragonlink.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Glad I ran into this thread.

Same problem here with PPM, NAZA using DL and 9x ER9x.

Radio/mixes set up perfect with Naza via PPM and all was working for a very short time on Assist. Fired up Hex with no props and it went wonky and lights a flashing.

Re-hooked to assist and stick movement was way off, GPS/A/M would no longer highlight blue as it should. Hitting throttle would actually kick in failsafe....

Calibrate in assist to no avail? Mostly results in Assist software force closing

I just bought a 9x with no module because I heard Naza PPM was working with the 9x ER9x.
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:28 AM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
All sorted! I contacted Quadcopters.co.uk who I bought the Naza from. They just advised me to avoid PPM on the Naza software and just calibrate to traditional.
Really?? So what is the point of the new Firmware from DJI supporting PPM with NAZA? Here is your PPM support but please dont use it cause its broke LOL. Not debating you, just sayin is all. Havent seen complaints in the Naza thread with the PPM firmware but not sure what combo all are using.
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
Last edited by naturecannon; Oct 03, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,586 Posts
Ditto on the TGY9x w/ER9x PPM issues. Using with Dragonlink and the PPM behavior is really odd and random. At one point I was in a low hover and I slowly lost right AIL control. It just deadened gradually until nothing. Then the Naza showed loss of TX signal according to it's indicator lights (Rapid blinking amber light). I was thinking it was my DL RX, but on naturecannon's suggestion in my thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742938) , I tested that RX just now and it range checks just fine. Signal is super strong. So it's looking more like a NAZA PPM support issue. I connected up a Futaba S.Bus RX and the quad flew without issue.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
630 Posts
I contacted DJI support, they said it's working for them with 9X and FrSky. But they also admitted that they have not tested if with other RX combinations and that they would do it. I will forward a link of this thread to them.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel