HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Question
How do I charge Fatshark Aviator goggles?

I just bought the Fatshark aviator goggles and am not quite sure how to charge the little lipo battery that came with it. The battery has a round connector much like a typical laptop would have, then it also has the balance connector which I think I could hook up to my charger for grounding. Any help on understanding how to charge this battery would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

fpvseeker is offline Find More Posts by fpvseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Just charge it like any other lipo, you do charge other lipo-batteries right?

What kind of charger do you have?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
I don't have the round connector for the lipo battery on my charger

Here is the charger I have:

It is a really good charger for all of my batteries since they all have deans connectors, but the round connector is the issue. Also couldn't find the what the battery MAH is? Don't want to over charge it, so if anyone has knowledge on what MAH setting is correct for the above fatshark battery please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
fpvseeker is offline Find More Posts by fpvseeker
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Not all batteries have the same type of connectors. That's just a fact you have to deal with.
Your charger has banana plugs, into which you can plug any adapter you need.
Various vendors make a "multi-dongle" which has lots of different power connectors on it,
such as deans ultra, JST, XT60, and usually a couple extra wires to which you can
solder whatever other connector your need. Looks to me like FS goggles came with
an adapter between the barrel plug and XT60. Finding a set of wires for your
charger that can handle XT60 should be quite easy.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Actually I would recommend you to buy another charger with a built in balancer which that charger doesnŽt seem to have. In the long run youŽll need it if you use lipos.

The balance port of the battery should only be connected to a balancer not something else. You wrote about connecting it to your charger for grounding. Also you might need to read up on charging and balancing lipos and also use a lipo charging bag just in case for safety. That is especially important if you feel unsure on how to charge lipos.

If you know what to do then lipos arenŽt very dangerous but if you charge incorrectly that little 2S 700mAh might turn into a nasty little nightmare.
Last edited by boopidoo; Sep 20, 2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Wrong battery capacity
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
His charger already has a built in balancer (pictured above).
All he needs is the XT60 connector for the battery.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Are you sure? When I googled it I couldn't find any info that the 230 had a built-in balancer. The Onyx 235 seems to have one though.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...vs-235-charger

http://www.google.se/search?q=onyx+2...w=768&bih=928#
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
@Daemon: boopidoo is right, the pictured charger does not have a built in balancer. And if it did the discharge lead connector would be irrelevant, you could just charge via the balance plug.

@fpvseeker: get a new charger with built in lipo balancing (if you don't understand why hit Google or read around, it's important) and just charge using the balance lead - on a battery that small the discharge leads won't allow you to charge any faster anyway. Follow boopidoo's advice and get some charging bags. They make charging a lot safer and give you a good place to store batteries.

Oh, and the FatShark lipo capacity is on the picture you first posted - 700mAh
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:36 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Two examples below:

This easy and cheap charger is just to plug in the battery and charge. Leds show when the battery is charged, one led for each cell. It's for 2-cell (like yours) and 3-cell lipos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_Charger.html

This is a much better and capable charger that I've used a lot until I moved on to bigger stuff. Like ramboky wrote you don't really need this charger if you only want to charge such small batteries, but you'd likely need a higher capacity charger soon anyways in this hobby and this is a great beginners choice IMO. You need to add your own 12V power supply but that doesn't need to cost more then $5-10: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
You guys are trying too hard.

Just buy this, or build your own : http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1033

The new FS goggles come with this adaptor in the box. You also don't "need" to balance a 2s pack. (don't start an e-fight about that comment, bc some people agree that you don't, some say you do).

The new FS batteries for the newer goggles DOES have a balance plug on it - the one that comes w/ the Aviators does not... you can use it or not. Up to you. I am on the original battery for both sets of my Aviators and never had a problem related to never being able to balance the pack. HOWEVER, I always fly w/ a spare FS battery in my back pocket and regulary practice quick-changing it while flying.

If you're anal - you can solder your own balance plugs to the original Aviator pack - but I wouldn't.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
The new FS goggles come with this adaptor in the box. You also don't "need" to balance a 2s pack. (don't start an e-fight about that comment, bc some people agree that you don't, some say you do).
No e-fight? But this is a RCG thread!?

But you're right, there is no real need to balance a 2S, especially in a low discharge scenario.
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
One unforeseen problem with the balance lead:
When the Fat Shark battery's voltage gets too low (or leads shorted) it trips the safety circuit inside the battery. Normally this safety circuit gets reset upon re-connecting the Fat Shark barrel connector charger.
However it doesn't get reset if charging through the balance leads. Several customers have returned dead batteries when all that has happened is the safety circuit got tripped.
If this occurs, tapping 7-9V direct to the barrel connector (GND outside of barrel) instantly resets the safety and battery can be charged as normal.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:28 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Ah, mr Fatshark is here!

Please consider better connectors on your next upcoming models. It would be really cool if you were the first ones to actually use locking connectors. The XS9JK or XS12JK are still very inexpensive while having a really good lock function. It definitely adds a professional touch to the goggles and greatly reduces the risk of any plugs being disconnected by mistake. Please just consider it?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Ah, mr Fatshark is here!

Please consider better connectors on your next upcoming models. It would be really cool if you were the first ones to actually use locking connectors. The XS9JK or XS12JK are still very inexpensive while having a really good lock function. It definitely adds a professional touch to the goggles and greatly reduces the risk of any plugs being disconnected by mistake. Please just consider it?
I added that to the design specification document for the next model. It won't come out out until 2015 but I'll get it in there for you .
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:33 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Awesome, if you need to add some another beta tester I'm in.