HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
At a few AZ contests, they've played some music for a little while, and not too loudly, in the morning, after most people are up, but before most people are getting geared up to fly.

I don't fly well enough to say it does my flying any harm. A few times, when flying for fun, a buddy put on some of the more mellow Pink Floyd, which I really liked. It helped that on that day, the air was so huge you could thermal bowling ball.

FWIW, in Pink Floyd's song "Learning to Fly," the sample played during the guitar solo is the recording of ATC during Nick Mason's first solo flight.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Salisbury, MD
Joined Aug 2008
69 Posts
I can be found in the middle of a large sod farm with the car doors open and James Taylor or Cat Stevens playing while I stare skyward regularly.
mccarterj is offline Find More Posts by mccarterj
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
I generally don't fly with music but every once in awhile I would when I flew powered planes. I absolutely loved to fly to this one picece of music in particular. It called Peace Pipe by Gary Hoey. It's sort of a contemporary rock instrumental and the guitar in it is fantastic. Slap on some headphones some time and give it a listen. You can almost see your plane soaring through the air as you listen. Give it a half a minute to get you there but I can almost guarantee that it will.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,439 Posts
I used to like some music while flying, usually if I was close enough to my car to hear it playing through the speakers. The music varies with the season, in the summer I like acoustic stuff, spring and fall I favor a bit of country. Something about southern VA and country music goes hand-in-hand with spring and fall. I can think of a few contests where before the rounds started some music was played across the field, it added a nice touch. Actually, David Ashinksy discovered this brand new grunge band, "Pearl Jam", on a Sunday morning at a contest 2 years ago when I let my iPod 90's list play through while we were prepping planes. I think he's still a big fan Now a days, I find myself wanting to go out and just listen to the crickets in the afternoon, let the noise of the day go. Must be my sign of getting old.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,304 Posts
I almost always just listen to the wind, but I had some instrumental & acoustic Allman Bros. on the earPod when I had my best thermal day ever a couple weeks ago. Coincidence? hmmm.....
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar...

j/k
That movie could've rolled final credits after that song ended, and I would've been happy. Best part, by far.

For those (2) of you going "Huh?", I found it:

Top Gun Intro + Danger Zone (4 min 6 sec)
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Last edited by shawnc; Sep 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Huh?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
I can't listen to music while flying unless I tape the earbuds in (not happening). They fly out on launch. Seems I'm always listening to something hard, e.g. Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, RATM (ya know, me and my pal Paul Ryan) on the way to contests to, um, relax.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
I think I might have liked it better as a silent movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
That movie could've rolled final credits after that song ended, and I would've been happy. Best part, by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRUxtPKK-w&feature=plcp
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
I don't listen to music while I fly, probably since it's always rattling around in my head anyway. (I just finished my undergrad in piano performance).

Here's a suggestion for those that fly early in the morning or at sunset:
Maurice Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé: Suite No. 2 (Excerpt) (6 min 50 sec)
or if you like the sound of two pianos at once for the same piece:
Maurice Ravel - Daphnis Et Chloe (Part III: Lever Du Jour) [Transcription for 2 Pianos] (4 min 43 sec)
(this year makes the 100th anniversary of its premier)

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
Falling with style
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Oct 2011
72 Posts
In leisure sessions like this. I have some music playing in my mind.
Alula at dusk (3 min 41 sec)
JamesCH is offline Find More Posts by JamesCH
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
99 problems but DLG ain't 1
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRUxtPKK-w&feature=plcp
Good catch

You can be my wingman anytime!
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Good catch

You can be my wingman anytime!
"That's right! . . . .I am Dangerous."

On a more serious note . . .I cannot be the only one who listens to Tom Jones at the field. Well not really Tom Jones . . .but Tom Jones singing Prince's song Kiss. Well. not really on the radio, but I just sort of hear it in my head . . .when I walk into the place.

DLG_Boss - OUT
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:50 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts

Tom Jones - She's a Lady (AVO SESSION 2009) (2 min 36 sec)
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
If I pull up to the field and noone's around I'll pump the music from the truck. Usually some Pretty Lights, (downtempo elec mood music. Free download at prettylightsmusic.com) or Pink Floyd while tossing. Helis usually old 2pac and anything powered get something hard and banging and usually older, suicidal tendencies, queensryche, d.r.i.
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
"That's right! . . . .I am Dangerous."

On a more serious note . . .I cannot be the only one who listens to Tom Jones at the field. Well not really Tom Jones . . .but Tom Jones singing Prince's song Kiss. Well. not really on the radio, but I just sort of hear it in my head . . .when I walk into the place.

DLG_Boss - OUT
Funny! I was listening to both versions two days ago.
"Just want your extra time and your..."
Hey! What are you doing with those glider anyway?
Bought a few more Art of Noise songs on iTunes-Jones' band for Kiss. Weird stuff, but interesting.