SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Build Log
Hiller 450 Beginner- Detailed Build Thread.

Introduction

This will be a slow but detailed build log which I will be updating as regular as possible. Kindly note that I do not have a complete heli kit and I am actually buying the different heli parts step by step as I cannot spend my entire paycheck on helicopters. I am from India and I am a "newbie" in RC hobby, but I have a passion for RC helicopters, the building, and learning about them, right from the technical side of the "rotor blade shape to" what exactly happens inside a servo.Your patience and comments are well appreciated and I do not claim this is as the best build log. I am new to this forum and I wish to spread my knowledge and experience regarding heli build, which I have gained from forums such as this.

The Hiller series RC helicopters from RcBaazar can be considered as value for money Trex-450 clone, which have made it possible for many RC enthusiasts in India to have their own electric helicopters at an affordable price. The Hiller Beginner 450 kit is an excellent choice for those who are new to RC helicopter. From my personal experience, the three core factors that lead me choose this product are :

1) Affordable and value for money deal
2) Excellent customer support by RcBazaar
3) The package is delivered in max 3 or 4 days without any "customs" hassle as it is inter-state shipping.

Since I foresee that there will be more and more RC enthusiasts who would be interested in starting this as a hobby, I decided to do a detailed build log of Hiller Beginner 450 CCPM. This is a clone of Align Trex 450 series and I am sure some one will benefit from this and also I can share my personal reviews and experience about Heli building. I belive the build procedure for other clones are also similar, but cannot claim as I have not built any other model. I have referred to the Align Trex 450SE-V2 manual while building this helicopter.

I am not an "expert" when it comes to heli building, but I have read as many articles and viewed as many videos before I had started building the heli. I will be completing the build over a period of time as this is not my proffession, but a passion. I will only build a heli in a step-by-step procedure, after learning the basics and then researching the best practices and build the heli. I will try to go as deep as possible while building the helicopter, and I will try to add as many images as possible, as I believe a picture is worth 1000 words (also, I am lazy to type ).

Before I begin, I would like to point out few factors about Hiller Beginner 450 CCPM.

1. This is a beginner, cheaper, fiberglass frame, RC Heli kit.
2. This may break easy if not handled with care.
3. The bolts are not the best, they will strip very easy if you rush through the procedure.
4. Most of the core parts are made of hard plastic instead of metal and this is to reduce the price of the kit, but if built correctly, will make an amazing RC helicopter thats worth every rupee you spend.
5. Excellent kit to purchase if you are a beginner and would like to experience the first step of RC Heli - The build itself ![/li][/list]
Also, I would like to mention few tips and suggestions from my personal experience while building this heli.

1. The frames have rough edges. Please wash (use mild bathing soap) and dry the frames before you sand the edges. Use any type of sand paper but dont over do it.

2. My kit did not have enough number of bolts with speaciality washers and I believe I was just unlucky. I counted and I believe we should have a total of 34 screws and washers for this kit. My advice is buy an extra set of washers and screw set. Its worth it and not a waste of money.

3. The bolt head will strip very easy. I feel they are made of some soft metal ! and I have managed to strip a couple of them.

4. Always have allen keys (1.5mm - 2.00mm - 2.5mm HEX Drive) from different brands. I have noticed that they vary a little in their dimensions and will ACTUALLY help you remove a stripped bolt because their dimension is slightly bigger than the other hex driver.

4. Use a surgerical gloves while building your helicopter. The rubber gloves has excellent grip on most of the small and precision built components that are used in this heli.

5. Use a pair of tweezers instead of your fingers to pick and place the tiny components. Once you get a hang of this, your build speed will increase dramatically. Its a personal experience.

6. Use loctite [threadlockers] on metal to metal joints and Super Glue on Plastic to Plastic joints. "Loctite" and its uses are discussed extremely well elsewhere in this forum or can be found easily on google. I have not used loctite or super glue on my build, as I will be dis assembling this kit soon for upgrading.

I chose to build the frame in 5 steps.

1. BUILDING THE INNER FRAME.

2. BUILDING THE TAIL BOOM HOLDER

3. BUILDING THE OUTER FRAME

4. COMBINING THE INNER FRAME AND OUTER FRAME.

5. FIXING THE SKIDS.

The final frame should look like this.

My build table

I prefer to sort the screws so that it will be handy while building and will also make the build process faster.

Please make sure you have all the important components before you start the build.

Specialty Washers

Aluminium Spacers

Metal Tail Drive Gear Assembly

Plastic Main Shaft Block

Tail Gear Bearing

Tail Boom Holder

Plastic Motor Mount.

Canopy Holder

Frame Mounting Bolt

Anti Rotation Bracket

1. BUILDING THE INNER FRAME.

I prefer to begin by fixing the canopy holder to the inner frame. The canopy is the last thing that goes into the RC heli, but I believe the canopy holder should be the first component to be fixed in. If you try to fix it later after completing the frame, its a little challenging experience.

Fixing the plastic main shaft block.

Likewise, fix the other side also. This will give a strong hold between the two inner frames will help to have a strong platform to work on.

Fix the lower Plastic main shaft block.

Now fix the Frame Mounting Bolt.

After the frame mounting bolt, fix the battery holder platform

Will be continued.
ebinmoothedam is offline Find More Posts by ebinmoothedam
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
what with the rubber gloves? :P
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Something from my personal experience that I mentioned somewhere in the post. I bet you didnt have the patience to read it

Here its for you

"4. Use a surgerical gloves while building your helicopter. The rubber gloves has excellent grip on most of the small and precision built components that are used in this heli."
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
2. BUILDING THE TAIL BOOM HOLDER

The components that "form" the tail boom holder

Place the Tail Gear Assembly as shown below.

Place the hexagonal plastic tubes (7 no.s) inside the tail boom block as shown.

"Close" it using the other half of tail boom block

This is how it looks from the side.

Place it between the two inner frames carefully. Don't over stretch the frame while doing this, as it can crack the frame.

3. BUILDING THE OUTER FRAME

Fix the base plate to the one of the outer frame. Make sure the base plate is facing upwards. (Easy - The skid screw holes should face below ;D)

The INNER FRAME and the OUTER FRAME

This is how they will look after they are fixed together.

I prefer to begin fixing them from the tail boom block as there are total 6 screws over there and will give a good grip and hold to the frames as we proceed ahead. Place the aluminium spacers between the frames using a pair of tweezers and screw from one side.

3 on each side, similar method of fixing.

all 6 screws. now that gives a strong hold between the inner and out frame on the rear end of the frame.

Now this is the most challenging task for me. I always have a little difficulty in fixing the lower frame mounting bolt + aluminum spacers between the inner and outer frame. I started using the tweezers and it was getting easy

Fixed the anti-rotation bracket. (Wish I had extra specialty washers)

Fixing the receiver tray below the tail boom block

Fixing the heli landing skid.

Frame Done ! {}

Will be continued
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam View Post
Something from my personal experience that I mentioned somewhere in the post. I bet you didnt have the patience to read it

Here its for you

"4. Use a surgerical gloves while building your helicopter. The rubber gloves has excellent grip on most of the small and precision built components that are used in this heli."
I was too distracted from all the pictures
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Yeah

A lot of companies use this as a base kit :

Leader sold it as there $9 kit + postage and several months ago were available very cheaply on Ebay [ Cheapest I got one was $9 posted = yeah thats cheap ]

And actually not a bad kit to start with

Great value for money when you think about what it costs and the education you get for the price ... [ I still have 2 un-built kits as spares - cos they were so cheap ]

Just make sure you check the swash plate and control arms for binding / contact ..

I did some beveling on mine to make sure they never lock up ..

Keep up the good work ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Hi !

Could you give me more information on the $9 heli sold by "leader" ?

Would like to check it out
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam View Post
Hi !

Could you give me more information on the $9 heli sold by "leader" ?

Would like to check it out
Sorry ! , That train left the station a few months ago now ...
A lot of folk simply missed out on a great deal ...
About the best you can do now is $35 shipped for a kit from Ebay .
Plastic fantastic[$9Leader kit] goes for $38 or there about's [ Shipping ? ]
I think I got about 6 kits all up , 4 of which were just silly cheap !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6CH-Carbon-F...item3a7854a84e

Holly cow !!!! Thats not cheap - but is the same kit !

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47...ber_Boday.html
Another maybe better priced link : Alibaba

This kit is excellent value for Noobs : [ insane value a few months ago ]
I know people love to knock plastic , but its cheap , strong [ mine have taken incredible abuse ] and as long as you do the right thing , it will function as a 450 should .

Maybe after Christmas the prices will come down ... [ I hope ]
For now , http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARF-Carbon-R...item416543bba6 This looks to be a good buy .. [ Shhhh , I have two - one I got for about $35 which is flying ATM ]

Yeah , I think after the Christmas rush , maybe after Chinese New Year , there might be some bargains to be had , and hopefully an opportunity to stock up on some cheap kits [ as spares ]
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224782

Ooooh! Look , its back in stock ...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
The "alibaba" heli looks like the one which I have. I got mine from the shop in India and got it shipped for about $27. It didn't come with the electronics, canopy and the rotor blade. But I still believe its the best one you can get to gain some hands on build experience if you are a newbie and tied on to a very low budget. I should be posting the continuation of the build log soon and I really hope some one will benefit from my efforts.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224782

Ooooh! Look , its back in stock ...
Yes, just checked it. Its the same kind of kit what I am working on. Not sure how much its total including shipping [dont have time to register and check the shipping]
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Shipping

Was , about $19 to Australia if mem serves ..

First kit cost me $28 all up , 2nd kit about $23 and it went quickly down hill from there to $9 shipped for the last one [ Via Ebay - Leader is on Ebay under various names ]

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672306
Link to my attempt to build the cheapest 450 in town [ planet Earth ]
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
That looks like a great deal, I'm going to have to check this out...I'm just learning and at this price, its better than a flight simulator.

Thanks for the post

Luis
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Thank you for your words. I shall post the continuation soon.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,785 Posts
I also have 3 of these kits. Just make sure you put bearings in the head at least at the feathering shaft to replace the bushings, which bind. I think they are 4x 4mmx8mmx3mm. Is that right guys?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72