HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Stoersender, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:54 AM
Germany, BW, Göppingen
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
Mini-HowTo
F45 - modded "searchlight" mod

So yesterday I placed a red led on the side, so I'm able to see the binding status.
Only bad thing was, that in bright daylight you weren't able to see the light. I used a tinted red led... dimming is too high
This night an idea popped up in my head:
why not using two leds, one on each side. Different colours, so you would be able to detect which side is facing you much easier. Especially because days are getting shorter and darker here, it helps a lot.
So far i can detect the position of the heli by three facts:
  • red one -> left
  • blue one -> right
  • two red or green ones -> back

Few facts about the two leds:
  • red consumpts 2V
  • blue constumpts 3,5V
  • in total: 5,5V

Because of that I wanted to connect both of them parallel and add a series resitor before each one, so they would have the maximum voltage.
Resistors were:
  • red 150 Ω
  • blue 75 Ω

So, while working I had the idea, why not testing the camera port I'm not using; connecting the leds to this one. I thought that hitting the camera button on the remote triggers the power of the port on and off. Unfortunately it has steady 5V during the hole time. The camera's on and off function must be based on a digital signal.
Hmpf... a positioning light that can be switched on when needed would have been nice

So back to the original plan, using the searchlight port:

Tested with a steady 5V generator it worked fine. Bright as hell.
But after I connected the plug to the helicopters pcb, I got a very very dimmed light.
The port wasn't able to provide enough amps, to power both leds...
Back to square one, ripping everything appart, throwing the resistor in the trash.
Soldering and putting heat shrink tube around everything again.

Both LEDs in series, so no resitor is needed anymore:

Before I soldered both of them together i measured the width between both side panels, so that the leds are supporting each other.

At first I wanted to use epoxy again. Only problem was, that I didn't have enough left so it would hold good enough.
So I switched to hot glue, which works fine, too:

And even with my longest battery, everything fits perfectly

little test run:

it's working like a charm
now I've got side positioning + binding-status lights
Stoersender is offline Find More Posts by Stoersender
Last edited by Stoersender; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts