HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post

There are rumors that they would be moving towards a proprietary transmission protocol. Particularly, the new version of the "6-axis" V939 is incompatible with the TX of the V929 or V911.
Why shoot yourself in the foot
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:00 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Why shoot yourself in the foot
Perhaps the same reason as Hubsan? They want to develop a wireless technology of "their own". It's gonna piss off many 9X users but there'll still be significant number of customers who don't care.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:02 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps the same reason as Hubsan? They want to develop a wireless technology of "their own". It's gonna piss off many 9X users but there'll still be significant number of customers who don't care.
Yup, they have very big customer base now, so they couldn't care less for "hobbyist" ...
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
I don't think I will ever understand this. A company like WLToys will never ever grow their own standard as large as any of the pre-existing ones. We won't see people switching from spektrum to WLToys, and they are terribly naive if that's what they think. Using a pre existing protocol has zero negative impact on anyone, and I would imagine has to make r&d as well as some component costs go down for the company, and then just opens up a huge user base of people that already own a radio that may see this quad and buy it just because it is compatible. I really wish a WLToys rep would come on an explain. The people from hubsan did, and though I wasn't excited about their answer they at least acknowledged me and seem to have at least listened to my advice and said they would take it into consideration.

I wish more companies would take the example of the #16 keychain cam developer and listen to their users and implement more features that are requested. I don't understand what good alienating your user base does, especially with a company that has gained such worldwide popularity as WLToys. It is almost like they ask themselves, now that they are making money hand over fist, how they can get people to stop buying their products. I know capitalism is a new idea over there and many markets are in their infancy, but this part of capitalism isn't exactly rocket science.

This is a company that is in a very unique position, after the 911 there is a huge segment of people that give them the benefit of the doubt even if they slip up occasionally. We are basically spending money on their products and suggesting ways to improve them knowing that we are basically paying to be beta testers, and nobody is mad about that. A bit disappointed at times maybe but nobody has really called it a waste of money. It seems now that instead of listening to those that have paid for their products they are just doing the opposite in some respects. By many accounts the newer versions don't fly as well, and now it seems that they're also dropping support for not only the aftermarket tx many of us use, but also their own tx that everyone else flies with. Please WL, we love your products and want to keep opening our wallets for you, don't alienate us.

/end rant
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Last edited by skitchen8; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisc-BK View Post
Mr JMP TOP 1 just raised the price to $75.89
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
BTW, does anyone know if the batteries with the v949 are chargable in the US?

If not should I be looking at a Turnigy A-6-10 charger and maybe some
Turnigy 35c 600mAH batteries on the side?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Deathspiral13; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post
BTW, does anyone know if the batteries with the v949 are chargable in the US?

If not should I be looking at a Turnigy A-6-10 charger and maybe some
Turnigy 35c 600mAH batteries on the side?

Thanks for any help.
As far as I know a battery doesn't have any particular concerns as to where you charge it. You can even charge it whilst standing on your head in Australia if you so choose. You can charge it in a house, you can charge it near a mouse, you can charge it here or there you can charge it anywhere (with a 110-240v outlet)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
This one has a little star, this one has a little car, my what a lot of quads there are!

Seussian theoretics aside, I was actually referring to the charger, looking at what some reviews I read say about the v929. However, I'll just take it on faith that there won't be any problems. If it rhymes it must be true!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Thank you for seeing humor in that

Even with the wrong plug a cheap adapter fixes it. It will charge from 110 to 240 on the stock charger. Some people have had problems with the stock charger but some have not. I am a few hundred cycles in and my stock charger works just fine. If you can afford a decent charger do it, it will be worth every penny. If not be careful and keep an eye on your stock charger and you should be fine for a bit.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined Oct 2004
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I don't think I will ever understand this. A company like WLToys will never ever grow their own standard as large as any of the pre-existing ones. We won't see people switching from spektrum to WLToys, and they are terribly naive if that's what they think. Using a pre existing protocol has zero negative impact on anyone, and I would imagine has to make r&d as well as some component costs go down for the company, and then just opens up a huge user base of people that already own a radio that may see this quad and buy it just because it is compatible. I really wish a WLToys rep would come on an explain. The people from hubsan did, and though I wasn't excited about their answer they at least acknowledged me and seem to have at least listened to my advice and said they would take it into consideration.

I wish more companies would take the example of the #16 keychain cam developer and listen to their users and implement more features that are requested. I don't understand what good alienating your user base does, especially with a company that has gained such worldwide popularity as WLToys. It is almost like they ask themselves, now that they are making money hand over fist, how they can get people to stop buying their products. I know capitalism is a new idea over there and many markets are in their infancy, but this part of capitalism isn't exactly rocket science.

This is a company that is in a very unique position, after the 911 there is a huge segment of people that give them the benefit of the doubt even if they slip up occasionally. We are basically spending money on their products and suggesting ways to improve them knowing that we are basically paying to be beta testers, and nobody is mad about that. A bit disappointed at times maybe but nobody has really called it a waste of money. It seems now that instead of listening to those that have paid for their products they are just doing the opposite in some respects. By many accounts the newer versions don't fly as well, and now it seems that they're also dropping support for not only the aftermarket tx many of us use, but also their own tx that everyone else flies with. Please WL, we love your products and want to keep opening our wallets for you, don't alienate us.

/end rant
just wondering out loud... would using spektrum's protocol require some sort of licensing or royalty payments to spektrum?
richh is offline Find More Posts by richh
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post
just wondering out loud... would using spektrum's protocol require some sort of licensing or royalty payments to spektrum?
Yes and no. Legally, by us law, you cannot copywrite something using public spectrum, which all of these are. Practically they would probably sue but in China that wouldn't matter much. So essentially no. Likely to be safe spektrum needs to be licensed, but 9x likely would not and would not be fightable in court.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
They won't get my business. V911 is really the only product they have had, I'd consider hobby grade. Don't have V929, but with the auto flips and no manual flips it is not really a MQX clone. The V939 is more a toy as well, probably not quite up to Walkera flying ability.

Now if their controllers are toy style and proprietary they will lose business. At first I didn't think it mattered either until I got the 9x. I don't even use the 9x that much, but I purchased the nano cpx with the dx4e. I thought at first how bad is this dx4e, doesn't even have an LCD screen. but after you use it a while and feel the stick quality versus the toy tx, then you see the difference. Dx4e is not even very programmable. So for me the quality of the sticks is even probably as important as program ability. Now perhaps if they had a quality TX, they may do OK with proprietary protocol, but they don't.

Basically you go proprietary you must have the quality tx, or you stay in the toy market versus hobby market. I don't think toy market is enough for WLtoys.

Quote:
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:38 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,586 Posts
Toy market vs Hobbyist market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
I don't think toy market is enough for WLtoys.
Well, I don't really agree to that, but what's more important is they wish to build their own wireless protocol, and that is their business strategy. Having been in the business for so long, I would think they have considered carefully before embarking on this path.

There are so little we could do to change things. Let's hope the Chinese forum can be more vocal about this so as to persuade WLtoys to keep using the 9X protocol.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:09 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post

Basically you go proprietary you must have the quality tx, or you stay in the toy market versus hobby market. I don't think toy market is enough for WLtoys.
Nowadays the main difference between toy market and hobby market is marketing + price and not the technology involved IMO.
The V929 belongs to the first, the mqX to the second market and they are barely the same products.
-----------

Now, I don't understand all the speculations about the V949.
After flying it for about 20 hours now I can claim that there is NO difference with the V929 apart from the canopy and the LEDs.
Same board, same behavior, same motors, same TX (with active right button).
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Nowadays the main difference between toy market and hobby market is marketing + price and not the technology involved IMO.
The V929 belongs to the first, the mqX to the second market and they are barely the same products.
-----------

Now, I don't understand all the speculations about the V949.
After flying it for about 20 hours now I can claim that there is NO difference with the V929 apart from the canopy and the LEDs.
Same board, same behavior, same motors, same TX (with active right button).
the only diference for v949 is what you mention, lights and canopy, no other thing is mention in any description of the v949, so what else you was expecting ?
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX