SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:02 AM
Scottsr1950
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Discussion
Rechargable Batteries in Champ Transmitter

I am a noobie to both Hobby King and to this great world of RC Planes. I am 61 years of age but it's never to late to start having real fun. Purchased a Hobbyzone Champ about a month ago and I can land it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood ( no wind ).
I land it then crank the rudder and have managed to keep it on the sheet of plywood several times... Wish I would have taken this hobby up years ago... I'd be broke, but what a relaxing time it is. I live on a farm and have a field that is around seven acres and has very short grass growth and pretty flat. Anyways, thought i'd say something about myself and thank you all for any help that I can get for a few more years of life that I have flying RC's.
I bought a dual charger for my Lipo's and for a wall charger it takes around 15 to 20 minutes for two batteries. I'm happy with that since I have six batteries to play with. I was wondering if any of you use rechargable AA batteries for the Champ Transmitter? I'm going through them fast so would like to use the AA charger I have if it won't hurt the transmitter.

Also now that I am very comfortable flying the Champ, I was looking at the hobbyzone Stratos. I kind of like the way the wing is attached to the body... seems like it would be very forgiving in a crash. I have looked at a few videos on youtube but they only show the plane flying and the comments are usually more about making fun of the guy that did the video than giving any information. Any opinions of this plane would be great. I have a HD 808 keychain cam and even in calm winds the Champ has a little problem of bouncing around with the cam velcroed to the bottom facing to the rear. I have it up as close to the battery connector as I can get it and I have messed with trim.... so that is another reason I was thinking of going to another plane... even though I will never stop flying the Champ.. my son in laws and grandsons were out and they all flew the Champ and we will probably have several in the air at the same time next weekend

Thanks in advance to my questions... I hope that i'm not in trouble for not posting my questions properly.... I haven't figured out the forums as of yet and did look for answers to my questions.

Calm Winds to You All !!!
Scottsr1950
You can email me if you would like.. I clicked on display my email address when I signed up... but not sure where it would be.
Scottsr1950 is offline Find More Posts by Scottsr1950
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,910 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of RC flying.

You could use Eneloops in the transmitter. Get a couple of sets and you will never run out of transmitter power.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/enelo...-nimh-lsd.html

If you are going to start adding planes to your hangar you might think about a computer radio that will support multiple planes. The Spektrum DX6i is compatible with your Champ and would be a good choice.

I don't think the Stratos is a particularly good choice as a second plane. I would consider the HobbyZone Super Cub. It is a good stable flyer and will handle more wind than the Champ. Also it will be a better platform for your key-chain camera.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
RE: Glen

Glen,
Thanks so much for the fast reply to my questions. RC Groups is so much nicer than trying to search the internet for hours looking for answers when a person is new to this fantastic hobby!

I went to the link you provided but did not see anything about "Eneloops"..
Excuse my lack of knowledge but i'm not sure what that is other than a type of rechargeable battery?? I have a charger for AA batts and use the
DX1500 NiMH 1.2v / 2000mAh batteries for other devices that run on AA or AAA batts. However, looking at how many posts you have I know i'm talking to the right guy When you have some time can you elaborate on "Eneloops"? I do not want to use anything that will damage or reduce the life of my champ or other planes I plan on getting for my hanger. So feel free to steer me in the right direction.

I am a stay at home Dad for the past 11 years, staying home with my disabled son and providing him with 24/7 care so I had to give up all of the things I enjoyed like hunting, fishing and just about everything. We rented a home that was my son in laws grand parents that passed away and i have a field that is about 7 to 10 acres with no trees just flat gound with short field grass so that made it easy to take the step that i've always wanted to do and buy a Champ. I probably will never get into gas planes due to my limited income but i'm finding these rtf electric planes have lifted my spirits.

I wasn't really impressed with the Stratos after I viewed a few more videos last night but I did see the Super Cub and liked it... I am looking for something with a wider wing spand and yes, to handle my hd keychain cam. So I will be talking to you about a new plane pretty soon ( birthday is november 6th ) wooot!

I hope i'm not going to be against rcgroup rules on writing a book on a post..
But one more thing... I have been reading alot on a transmitter that will give me more range (even with the Champ) and as you mentioned, will bind with planes I purchase in the future. I looked at a few forums and most said it was a waste of money with rtf electric planes because most come with a transmitter and some said you won't get much more range than the transmitter that comes with the Champ or most planes that don't use gas... Most of those comments were refering to the DX5e 5 channel. From what I have read the DX6i was the only way to go... but after viewing it and the cost I was a bit afraid of it when it comes to binding it and programming it. I think now that I have found you ( and this forum ) I will see if I can maybe pick one up on ebay or?? I don't plan on getting to carried away with planes that drop bombs etc.. just throttle, rudder, elevator and maybe soon ailerons (sp)... so if you want to tell me if the DX6i would not be an over kill for my needs i'd appreciate it.
OK I will stop rambling on and my next reply / post will be short and to the point... think I got a bit excited when I logged in and saw that someone had replied to my questions...

Thanks Glen, your help is very much appreciated!!

Scott
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Eneloops

Glen,
I found the Eneloops you were talking about on Amazon... by Sony.
They show a 1500 or a 2000, which would be best to get?
Thanks!!!

Scott
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
you can go to walmart and buy enegizer rechargeable batteries to. not quite as nice as the eneloops, but work just fine.

i would suggest if you do this, read the chargers specs carefully as some of the enegizer chargers take a long time to charge. i have a gray enegizer charger that charges 4 AA batteries in 15 minutes. works like a dream
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, IA, Sidney
Joined May 2012
179 Posts
Scott: If you can afford to step up to a better Tx I would make that a high priority on my list. As far as the DX5e it is a full range Tx. It is what comes with the Radian and it is not a cheap plane. You are limited for range in the micro category because their Rx in them are not full range. In other words flying it till it looks like a dot in the sky is asking for trouble. I use a DX7s for all my planes, my Champ is bound to it along with my others. Binding is simple whether you have the 6i or higher Tx. You get the benefit of model memory on better T/Xs too. Take your time and read a lot on RC groups, there is plenty of info out there. I am only 66 now but have flown C/L and free flight since the 50s so this is a hobby I have enjoyed for a long time. dave
tyme4me is offline Find More Posts by tyme4me
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Thank you all for your input on getting me heading in the right direction on my new hobby...
Hoghead: The charger I have will do 4 AA's or 4 AAA's in about 30 to 40 min. which isn't bad. So I can charge the Eneloops on any standard AA charger? I think with what has been said I will spring for a couple of 4 packs on Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so no shipping. Just want to make sure I'm using the best batteries... If i'm going to do this I want to do it right and will go with everyones suggestions.

Tyme4me: I do want to upgrade the Champ Tx due to my plan on buying more planes for my hanger ( I like the hanger quote Glen ) I'll ask this to everyone but you are right, I really need to upgrade. I know that I could probably search the
RC Groups forums and find alot of answers and I will be doing that for sure, but since I have some response to get me going I'll continue this post until I can get my basics down.
Wanting to upgrade my Tx I don't want to get more than what I need but don't want to spend cash on something that isn't going to handle what I see as my needs. I will be staying with electric planes, I do plan on using throttle, rudder, elevator and eventually ailerons (sp). I want it to be able to bind to pretty much any plane or maybe chopper. I don't plan on wanting to drop bombs or parachutes etc. I found a DX6i on ebay (buy it now no shipping) for 159.00
it is a: Spektrum SPMR6610 DX6i DSMX 6-Channel Transmitter TX Radio Mode 2 MD2
Would this be an over kill for what I want to do and I want something that will be easy to program.
If you folks think this one would be what I need I would purchase it tonight or when I hear from you.
One final question is this.... IF I have the DX6i, will it save me cash on plane purchase? As in buying a plane that only needs the Tx to fly? Kind of confused on that looking on sites to purchase electric planes.
I really want to thank you all.. my life is kind of like living in jail. My disabled son in non verbal so I sit here pretty much all of the time with no one to talk to until my wife gets home, but then she heads to bed pretty early for work.
Tyme4me ( great name ) that's impressive how long you've been at this... just wish I had taken it up years ago.. alot cheaper than some of the deer / elk trips i've been on
Thanks again everyone !! Calm winds to you all !
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Hey Hoghead... Did you get my pm reply and 1 separate pm I sent you with a link?
Think I better learn to navagate the forum before trying to navagate a plane...
sheeeeesh!

Scott
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined May 2012
179 Posts
Scott: The 6i is not too much Tx as with it you can then buy BNF planes which come without the Tx. Another plus is it has 10 model memory which means after you bind your plane to it you can bind up to 9 more and once it is set up you then pick your model you want to fly. Switching to a different model on my 7s takes about 5 secs. to switch. It all sounds a little intimidating but like I said make the effort to study what you want.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Tyme4me:
Thanks for the info.. that is what I really wanted in a new Tx, the ability to purchase BNF planes and save a few bucks. I bought a SPMR 6610 from ebay, new for 159. I have been talking with Hoghead and he suggested the SPM 6610, I didn't notice the R in SPMR until after I went back and looked at the listing... so I sure hope I haven't messed up since I can't return it. After alot of searching pretty much everyone says that this will bind with my RC Champ and just about anyother parkflyer... sure hope that info is correct.
Appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Scottsr1950
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
the only difference between the SPM and the SPMR is that the SPM comes with a receiver. i wasn't sure what type of receiver came with the Champ, but if it has a spektrum in it already, you should be good to go. if for some reason your Champ does NOT have a spektrum receiver in it, you can buy receivers by themselves all over the place, even right here on RCG in the classifieds!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
GREAT! I'm pretty sure the Champ has a spektrum receiver... So I will find out in a few days.. I don't want to violate the rules of RC Groups so was wondering if this post is getting to long? I will try to limit my questions as all of you do.. I think the excitement of getting into rc and talking with all of you has caused me to ramble on... so I will try to keep it short and to the point from here on out!
Thanks to all of you for your great help. I will be asking more when I do get the DX6i :-)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,910 Posts
Scott,

Don't worry about the length of your posts or the length of the thread. As long as you stay on the subject and make your questions as clear as possible you will be doing fine.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:33 PM
Scottsr1950
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Thanks for the info Glen.....
I'm so happy with finding RC Group... Not only do I get valuable information but now have made friends with you all and have someone to talk to. My life is pretty lonely being here with my disabled son all day, especially winters.
I ordered the Eneloop AA batteries from Amazon last night so that should take care of the
DX6i for awhile. From reading the only thing at the moment is about this plug when binding but we can discuss that once I get the DX.
Thanks Again.....

Scott Sr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined May 2012
179 Posts
The bind plug is not needed on the Champ. Mine is bound to my 7s which took less than 10 secs. So not to worry on the UMs and bind plug deal. My UMX Extra 300 bound right up and it is 4 channel. My Radian on the other hand uses an AR600 Rx so you use a bind plug on it even though it is a 3 channel plane.